Or truth is stranger than fiction.

Yesterday a gentleman came into the store looking for a stain to match an existing cabinet. He brought the cabinet door into the store with him. The cabinet door was made of white oak and we also had some samples on white oak. He chose the closest color, purchased a pint can and left the store.

Today the gentleman is back with the can of stain in a BORG bag and SWMBO leading the way. I recognised the gentleman and did a bit of teasing, saying that only white shopping bags are allowed in the store. We have a few laughs as he heads back to the area of the store where the stains are displayed and I go to help another customer.

A bit later the gentleman returns to the counter and SWMBO has selected the perfect color of stain. One of the other employees starts to process the return/exchange for the perfect color of stain. By this time I'm processing another customer's purchase and over hear the return/exchange process. The customer (SWMBO) explains that the new stain is the perfect color and that they want to exchange, even across. The other employee asks if there is something wrong with the original stain. SWMBO answers "No". The other employee asks if the stain is defective. SWMBO answers, "We haven't opened the can. It's just the wrong color." The employee says, "But the new color of the new is the same as the old."

SWMBO, picks up the old can of stain and storms out of the store. The gentleman looks at us with one of those "Laughing Eyes" looks, obviously biting his lips leaves the store without saying a word.