Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default decking over pavers

looking at putting decking directly over existing pavers. Pavers are uneven. size 9mtr x 4mtr. Or am I better off removing all pavers and levelling..?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

jhgk

I recon to get the best performance and results, you will need to put in bearers and joist to be able to support the deck boards anyway, so remove all pavers and that willgive you the ability to excavate down the depth needed to install the bearers on piers and then the joist and then the deck, their mabe a minimum clearence between timber and groundthat is needed for water drainage, i am sure that some of the other gentleman on this fourum who are chippies know all of this and can help you .

Default Decking over pavers

Johnsy, i belive that Larry is right and you need to rip up the pavers excavate it out and then start from scratch. It seems the simplist method to save any issues down the track.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

Are you installing decking a reasonable distance above ground level? Ie on posts then Bearers/joists etc?

If you are there is no reason you need to remove the pavers if you dont want to IMO.

Just remove the pavers where you need to dig the post holes.

I have done exactly this and it work beautifully. Pics below if they help

Different story if you are placing decking at ground level (which I wouldnt do anyway..... )

Cheers Joel

I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsy
    looking at putting decking directly over existing pavers. Pavers are uneven. size 9mtr x 4mtr. Or am I better off removing all pavers and levelling..?

Johnsy, I think it all depends on how far above the pavers you want to put the decking.

Wooden decking must be clear of the ground, and remain clear even if there is a build up of dirt, etc, otherwise it will eventually rot quite quickly. Also will you need future access under the deck?

Its much easier to remove the pavers, and possibly excavate before you build the deck, than after. But if the deck is well clear of the ground, why bother?

When we did our treated pine deck fifteen years ago, the council insisted on 6mm gaps between the boards. The boards shrunk in situe and the gaps are now 15-17mm. Pine shrinks a lot in the weather.

Cheers

Graeme

clearance between the ground and the underside of the timber needs to be 150mm minimum