Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Research For Mens Shed

I am considering preparing a formal submission about a local Mens Shed.

I am seeking advice as to what men would like to see and do in a community based Mens Shed.

Tools and machines?
    Who should be able to access the services?
    Should it be for retirees only or anyone including juniors or women woodies?
    Should users pay a membership fee etc?
    Should the shed affiliate with clubs etc.
    What times should the shed be available?
    Invite suggestions for programs and training.
    Social interaction.
    Social welfare.
    Any other services?
    What type of building?
    Staffing or supervision?

I especially hope to attract advice from anyone already involved in an existing setup and invite office bearers, facilitators and participants.
    If I could obtain copies of your groups strategic and business plans as well as programs etc this may enable me to develop a very effective plan.
    So if you could help in detail please pm me so we can do this via email etc.

Comments and input will be welcomed from everyone,
    the objective is to make the local shed effective and efficient.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I think some of your questions would be easier to answer if you describe what the 'charter' of the shed will be. What problems/needs does it intend to address? eg. there's no point in having a membership fee and an age limit if it's to address the needs of underpriviledged kids, if you get my drift.
    "I don't practice what I preach because I'm not the kind of person I'm preaching to."

Needs a bar, a fridge, Foxtel and not be too remote so that you can have pizza delivered.

HH.
    Always look on the bright side...

Leaving aside the wood-specific elements, the rest of the descriptors seem to fit with every other club I have belonged to (golf, cricket, football, etc). That is, a place for blokes with a common interest to go away and discuss the things that they want to discuss under the cover of another activity and without women butting in. If you can get someone else topay for it, all the better....
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Considering your localle, I would not put an age limit on it, the more interaction the younger guys have with the older guys, the less likely they will be to get into trouble (Good sales point to local council for funding).

I would also suggest a fee, even if it is token, this does foster a sence of ownership of the machines, meaning less likelyhood of malitious damage.

If you have machines, supervision may be an insurance requirement, if not some form of internal licensing, probably both (Supervision until you prove you dont need it)

DONT FORGET INSURANCE....

Affiliation with local groups could be a good thing for both parties, cross sell for members, shared resources, group submitions for funding, etc

good luck and let us know how you go
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

The idea of the Men in shed concept was for retied men to be able to get together and do woodwork. Most do not have big workshops or equipment to do any hobby work.

The main place this started was in bendigo and is run by the salvation army.

They employed a supervisor to take care of the day to day running of the place.

This one also has other projects working within the same premises and Scope use the facilities for the disabled.

If you contact them they would show you around their workshop and help where they can.

At the moment their supervisor is on holidays for a couple of weeks but once back I am sure he could answer all your questions.
    Jim Carroll
    One Good Turn Deserves Another. CWS, Vicmarc, Robert Sorby, Woodcut, Tormek, Woodfast
    Are you a registered member? Why not? click here to register. It's free and only takes 37 seconds!

Thanks for the advice,

Some responses to your comments,

Its quite easy to start a club. There are reportedly over 100 mens sheds throughout Oz so I expect advice may be obtainable from peer groups.

The important part is to set it up so that will grow and evolve into the future instead of stagnating and fizzing out in a year or two. I expect grants will set it up. Fortunately I am experienced in town planning applications. This has been very helpful when applying for grants for Scouts.

Given that the baby boomers are getting towards 60 nowadays the benfits of a mens shed should continue to grow.

I don't see insurmountable problems with initial setup costs as the council is interested in properly investigating proposals.

One class of considerations is physical workshops which may be for woodies, metal heads even computers etc. There is a good list of possibilities.

There is a strong similarity to many clubs for the essential social interaction.
    But maybe the Urn and the Cuppa is the most important equipment of the lot.
    I dunno about the bar as booze and machinery just don't mix and workshop safety and insurance is extremely important. And the Council's views are important.

Which direction (or directions) it goes should be more or less left to the members of the moment. e.g. It might start off doing basic woodie stuff and some might diverge into boatworks or car stuff etc etc.

I'm inclined to think it will need a fulltime supervisor/coordinator etc who would really need a good attitude to personal safety.
    A committee with a maximum of say 4 members.
    Plus the capacity to create sub committees as and when needed.
    Some may be admin\planning\finance\marketing etc while others may be purely technical etc.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

sound like a real beaut project Bob.. from what I can make out from taking with a guy who runs a 'mens shed' they got funding from the state Lotto commission.. I think he said the fees where $70 for the first year then about $40 there after.. other than tools.. I guess the two big assets for any mens shed group would be company of other woodworkes .. and a good resource library.. Col

I've been in contact with some mens sheds in Oz.

As I delve further into mens sheds I can see that they can provide very considerable benefit to the men involved and to community as a whole.

I have a very well equipped workshop and am in contact with people all the time so what I would get from the shed is seeing a worthwhile community asset established.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

This is good news. I expect you will get a numer of woodwork wannabees who could well be regulars once they get the taste of sawdust. I feel the Mens Shed should be open to all ages. There are lots of old coots around who can act as mentors and may even have some old woodworking tools which could be displayed in the shed. Do you know if there is such a shed in Tassie? Would be interesting to join because of the ability pick up some "how to" and other little tricks of the craft. I like the idea of a boat building section.
    If you can do it - Do it! If you can't do it - Try it!
    Do both well!

Ernknot (and other interested people)

This website has a list of mens sheds around oz.
    Pity most of them don't have websites but there are contact details

http://www.mensshed.org/details%20intro1.htm
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Thanks Bob.
    If you can do it - Do it! If you can't do it - Try it!
    Do both well!

I'd suggest including some health issues if possible - given the age group and sex you are thinking of including in this shed, just being male and getting older is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease. You could contact health organisations to include diabetes, prostate cancer, heart disease/stroke etc.

Cheers
    Dan

Thanks Dan,
    I see health issues and catering for the differently abled as very important functions of the shed.
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Echidna,

Could you read my contribution in the Triton thread "triton Club to men's Shed' so that i don't repeat myself. The shed in Bowral is first and foremost for 'chat'. You may not believe it when you see the standard of the machinery there. One guy told me it's a health type set up because women have lots of things to do at that age but men have none! We have a few mature age men suiciding around here. maybe it was set up to address that issue.
    This shed is attached to a church which has partially funded it- in fact one parishoner donated the new jet saw.
    Coming from a Triton club that closed down i needed to bite my tongue a few times - as explained in the thread. It would really help to have someone in charge who really knows what they are doing.
    I'm personally disappointed that it only caters for retirees who are available at 10:30 on a Thursday. It's a great resource that 'rests' for the remainder of the week.
    Carry Pine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast