Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Thumbs up vac box for template routing

Following on from a thread form some time ago when I mentioned that I used a vac box for template routing. As promised here are some workshop happy snaps of the latest version of the vac box.

Background
    I manufacture speaker boxes and equipment cases in short runs and do quite a lot of template routing for speaker cut outs, handle and catch holes. Most of this work either requires routing all the way thru the material or can be contrived to do so. Much of the time it is more convienient to rout the boards before the boxes are assembled.

For this type of work I use the vac box described ( and hopefully pictured )

The box is nothing flash, it was built form a proto type speaker that didn't make it. It has evoveld some greater refinement in recent times.

The basic gist is, take a box of suitable size for the work you do, bore a large hole in the side to attach a dust extractor and arrange to fix the work to the top.

At this stage I use individual templates for the different features so it suits me to clamp the work to the vac box then screw the templates to the work piece. Several templates may be used on each panel.

An associate of mine ( who does bigger volume ) makes a carrier and a full template for each piece which has benifits I'll mention later.

In its latest incarnation the vac box has grown a work surface and a permanent cleat that could loosely be called a fence. This time I have been carefull to make all straight edges straight and square which allows me to use the parralell standard guide off the sides of the box.

I will usualy screw or clamp a second cleat to locate the work piece and use a toggle clamp to secure the job. The whole thing is screwed to the bench top to stop it running away.

The wings have been added to hold items during change over note the hole in the top to take the guide bush on the router.

I have been using this arrangement for some years with a 1hp dust extractor. A small ammount of dust is generated whilst plunging but after that its all in the bag ( or in the box base ). I have found mostly the large waste pieces drop harmlesly into the box below.

If several holes are to be routed it is best to cover them as you go with some thin scrap to preserve suction.

My mate Dave makes a complete carrier for the work piece and template which allows him to drop the work piece into the box drop the tempmate on top and rout away. The workpiece is released after routing as it now has a big hole to reduce the suction. The next blank is droped in and so on.

Daves method is faster for multiples my method allows me more freedom to use templates, paralell guide, or circle guide.

Vac box empty.
    Vac box loded.
    Vac box top.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers fellas. Eat no dust.

[This message has been edited by ubeaut (edited 14 July 2002).]
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Sure beats eating all that dust esp. with MDF.
    woody

Cool

I reccon its worth it in time saved in sweeping up alone.

People are made of meat.

Thumbs up

Soundman ..any effort in reducing the risk to your health is an effort worthy of consideration.
    Good thinking...and thanx for passing on your ideas for all to consider.
    Cheers

------------------
    Johnno
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

next addition I'm planning is a drop in peg board plate to convert to a down draft sanding table.
    Once you have the box the possibilities are endless.
    People are made of meat.