Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Epoxy glues for furniture making

Epoxy glues are useful in furnituremaking where you need a glue that has a long working time, i.e., more than 30 minutes, and where you need a glue that will not creep under stress, such as for bent laminations, for which PVA glues are unsuitable. Ideally, epoxies for furnituremaking should be viscous, so as to be gap-filling.

Bunnings only sell Araldite epoxy, which is expensive - about $13 for 35 mL - and too runny to be ideal for gap-filling.

Techniglue, sold by Carbatec and Timbecon, has ideal properties for furnituremaking, and is reasonably priced, at about $38 for 750 mL, but Carbatec will not send the glue by mail, so freight, by courier, is expensive.

Epox-E-glue, made by Boat Craft Pacific in Brisbane, see http://www.boatcraft.com.au/adhesives.html , has similar properties to Techniglue, but is cheaper - about $27 for 1 litre - and the company will send it by ordinary mail.

I therefore am very happy with Epox-E-glue, which I am using to glue up the bent laminations for the back-slats for the rocker that I am currently building.

Rocker

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Be interested to see if there was any difference in the springback, if any, between the two epoxies. Has anyone seen a comparison between Urea Formaldehyde & Epoxy for laminating?
    If I do not clearly express what I mean, it is either for the reason that having no conversational powers, I cannot express what I mean, or that having no meaning, I do not mean what I fail to express. Which, to the best of my belief, is not the case.
    Mr. Grewgious, The Mystery of Edwin Drood - Charles Dickens

Slavo,

I don't think springback is an issue with either epoxy or UF glues in bent laminations. I have used both for glueing up rocker laminations and found springback to be negligible.

Rocker

Does anyone know whether Epox-E-glue is Bote-Cote with the appropriate filler added (which is how I understand the product is used to make a glue for boatbuilding) or is it a different product. If the latter is the case, how does it differ from Bote-Cote plus filler?
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker
    Ideally, epoxies for furnituremaking should be viscous, so as to be gap-filling.
    For the first time I today used some Techniglue for the Spiers replica box - largely because I needed some gap filling adhesive . I liberally dosed it with some fine NG Rosewood sawdust befor application, and this helped hide the, ahem! gaps:mad:

We want pictures

Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker
    We want pictures

Rocker
    G'day Rocker - see http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...1&d=1154939175

Default epoxy glue

West system or techni glue - both are excellent products (they probably come out of the same factory). Both can be specified with different set times. Go for the longer time if you live in the northern climes. Both have optional "flock" that can be added to give the glue gap filling properties, ideal for those less than perfect joins. The west system comes with a dispenser (at a cost) that meters out the correct ratio of part A and B. This is VERY useful as it ensures the goo is right every time. Don't overcramp glue joints, you need to leave a little in there to do the job!!

I can buy either of these glues, plus s..t loads of others, and get great advice and service, from a mob in Kewdale WA called fibreglas & resin sales, and no, I don't work for them.

By the way, I think (thats a non commital think) that both of these products are distributed from QLD.

ps I've just Googled it. ATL composites, Southport QLD with distributors in all states.

Having used both Techniglue and Epox-E-glue for glueing the back-slat laminations for my rocker, I can report that there are distinct differences between the two. After 24 hours, Techniglue cures rock-hard, and a sharp edge on it will cut your skin. Epox-E-glue, however, after curing for the same time, has the same sort of hardness as a polythene kitchen cutting board. I am not sure which is preferable. It could be that, if the epoxy sets rock hard, like Techniglue, then it might be more prone to cracking if it were subjected to a sudden stress. On the other hand, perhaps the softer nature of cured Epox-E-glue might not be as strong under a steady severe stress.

Rocker

Thanks for that comparison Rocker. I've only ever used Techniglue, which I'm very happy with.
    Has anyone used Megapoxy? Seems to be used in the building industry, and is made locally - just around the corner from me - and is cheaper than Techniglue.
    Might buy some to try out when the Techniglue gets low.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

jmk89, did you check out the boatcoat website?

Here's your answer!
    Bote-Cote Epoxy Fillers
    Powder fillers are added to Bote-Cote epoxy to thicken it for use as a gap filling glue, or as a putty for filling, fairing, or filletting applications. They are ready to use, and are mixed with liquid Bote-Cote until the desired viscosity is obtained for the purpose in hand. All Bote-Cote fillers consist of non-organic materials to avoid temperature sensitivity and to prevent wicking of moisture into the cured epoxy, and can be used with equal safety below the water line or on an exposed deck. They are formulated to minimise dust rising, and so reduce inhalation by users.
    High Strength Filler: A high density glass fibre and particle filler for maximum strength glueing applications such as catamaran beams, mast bulkheads, load carrying transoms, etc.
    Glue Filler: A low cost blended filler used for most glueing applications and also for making all fillets.
    Fairing Filler: A low density, easily sanded microsphere based filler, which spreads like cream to a perfect feather edge. Used for filling and fairing.

Rocker, has the Epox-E hardened up after a couple of days?
    Alex - There was a reference to megapoxy in this thread, I drive past their factory every now and then and would be interested to see how it performs
    If I do not clearly express what I mean, it is either for the reason that having no conversational powers, I cannot express what I mean, or that having no meaning, I do not mean what I fail to express. Which, to the best of my belief, is not the case.
    Mr. Grewgious, The Mystery of Edwin Drood - Charles Dickens

I've used Megapoxy for years (Megapoxy 69) and it's excellent. Inexpensive, easy 1:1 ratio, good consistency (not too runny), reasonable set time. I've never had any problems with it and would recommend it without hesitation.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry72
    jmk89, did you check out the boatcoat website?

Here's your answer!
    Bote-Cote Epoxy FillersPowder fillers are added to Bote-Cote epoxy to thicken it for use as a gap filling glue, or as a putty for filling, fairing, or filletting applications. They are ready to use, and are mixed with liquid Bote-Cote until the desired viscosity is obtained for the purpose in hand. All Bote-Cote fillers consist of non-organic materials to avoid temperature sensitivity and to prevent wicking of moisture into the cured epoxy, and can be used with equal safety below the water line or on an exposed deck. They are formulated to minimise dust rising, and so reduce inhalation by users.
    High Strength Filler: A high density glass fibre and particle filler for maximum strength glueing applications such as catamaran beams, mast bulkheads, load carrying transoms, etc.
    Glue Filler: A low cost blended filler used for most glueing applications and also for making all fillets.
    Fairing Filler: A low density, easily sanded microsphere based filler, which spreads like cream to a perfect feather edge. Used for filling and fairing.
    This is precisely why I asked the question - this section doesn't say that it is Epox-E-glue but rather that you can make a glue by adding filler to Bote Cote. Similarly the description of Epox-E-glue doesn't say it is BC+filler in a more convenient form, or how it differs from BC+ filler
    Remembering that Bote Cote is mixed 2-1 and Epox-E-glue is mixed 1-1, there may well be a difference.

I have e-mailed the guys at Boatcraft Pacific to see what they have to say.
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Thanks Slavo & Tony, I'll give it a try.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast