Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default I want to remove a wood heater.

Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone would know who can completely remove a wood heater (with pipe on roof) and fix the roof after(colorbond roof). Im not sure who does this kind of job so dont really know who to start calling. I was thinking a handyman but kinda worried they wont know what they are doing. I usually try to tackle this kind of thing myself but have far to much other work on to try and work out how to remove it. If anyone can let me know it would be great Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

G'day Dribbler

I would give a woodheater supplier a call as they install the units. Get them to remove it, then get in a plasterer to patch hole in ceiling and plumber or roofer to replace roof sheet or patch hole
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by djstimber
    G'day Dribbler

I would give a woodheater supplier a call as they install the units. Get them to remove it, then get in a plasterer to patch hole in ceiling and plumber or roofer to replace roof sheet or patch hole
    Thanks for the info Inside is not an issue as im renovating but outside is... so i guess a plumber/roofer is the best option. Ill start looking for wood heater suppliers now. Thanks again.

Dribbler, what heating, if any, are you replacing the heater with? This is not idle curiosity - for instance, natural gas heaters (if burning inside the house) do need a flue vent as do some other heating appliances.
    How long has it been since the chimney/flue been cleaned? This will be the first need no matter who removes the heater.:eek:
    What is your intention with the removed heater? They can be sold redilly but be sure to save what you can of the flue, and all other parts.
    Is the flue presently through an old brick chimney? Important if closing-off is needed.
    The roof certainly is a job for a plumber as you are in Victoria, and you may need to comply with Local Government regulations too.

soth

Quote Originally Posted by masoth
    Dribbler, what heating, if any, are you replacing the heater with? This is not idle curiosity - for instance, natural gas heaters (if burning inside the house) do need a flue vent as do some other heating appliances.
    How long has it been since the chimney/flue been cleaned? This will be the first need no matter who removes the heater.:eek:
    What is your intention with the removed heater? They can be sold redilly but be sure to save what you can of the flue, and all other parts.
    Is the flue presently through an old brick chimney? Important if closing-off is needed.
    The roof certainly is a job for a plumber as you are in Victoria, and you may need to comply with Local Government regulations too.

soth
    I also have a Vulcan gas wall heater wich is what i use for heating. The wood heater I want removed is one of them free standing ones (i think its called kinara) its not through an old chimney the flue just goes through the roof. I have never cleaned the flue (only been in house for 6 months). My intensions are to sell it. Sorry if this is a silly question as I dont know much about fireplaces/wood heaters but cant the flue just be removed? why does it need to be cleaned? Im thinking because of the mess it will make inside is the reason....is this correct? Cheers

Defnitely only a plumber qualified for roofing works - not a handyman. Good luck lifting it - they are very heavy.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by elphingirl
    Defnitely only a plumber qualified for roofing works - not a handyman. Good luck lifting it - they are very heavy.
    Cheers
    Yes I have heard they are heavy... maybe a job for a few blokes and a hand trolley. Im starting to think maybe i should just leave it in. I really want it gone though as my house is not that big and i need the space. I never use it so its a real waste of much needed space for me.

Defnitely only a plumber qualified for roofing works - not a handyman.
    Good luck in getting a roofing contractor to replace one, or a couple, of part sheets of roofing iron. A handyman who is worth his salt might be easier to locate.
    Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Jacksin
    Good luck in getting a roofing contractor to replace one, or a couple, of part sheets of roofing iron. A handyman who is worth his salt might be easier to locate.
    What if I just replaced the hole that the outside roof section of the flue leaves with one of those roof vents from bunnings or something similar instead of actually trying to seal the hole or change a whole sheet?

Dribbler, any roofing work in Victoria requires a qualified Plumber, that's law and can effect any insurance problems. This includes the whirly-fan extractor installation, which removes heat from the ceiling cavity so you will need good insulation if your gas heater is to remain adequate.
    You are right! Detaching the flue from the heater will create one hell of a mess - nearly impossible to vacuum clean from carpets, walls, curtains, etc.
    So, the answer is relatively straight forward: Contact a local plumber (See under 'Roofing' in the Yellow Pages directory) explain you want supplied and fitted the whirly AND THE REMOVAL of the wood heater. Be sure the flue is cleaned first, or at least, caution the fitter that it hasn't been cleaned - this may allow any after-cleaning to be done at his expense.

ps: When I removed mine (it was in an old fire place and through the chimney), I had a chimney-sweep clean the flue and even with his experience there was still some spill - not enough to get excited over, but it was there. don't let this stop you from having the thing removed. It's your home and comfort is the issue.

pps: Bye the way - no question is silly. It's the ONLY way we learn, without suffering.

soth

Thanks all for your replies it has helped a lot. At this stage due to the size of the job (thought I could just rip it out) I have decided to leave it in as I have so much to renovate not to mention still needing to start outside. Actually feels good to except the heater staying in and scratching it off the to do list. Again thanks all