Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Cool Ozito 1600w 210mm Slide Compound Mitre Saw

Hi,Can anybody tell me anything Good-Bad-Or Indifferent about the OZITO 1600w 210mm Slide Compound Mitre Saw.They are selling for around $149.00 at the moment,(seems cheap).I do a little bit of hobby building now and then.Is there a better one for around the same money.As we all know,it is better to be forwarned than not warned at all,with thanks,TINLEGS.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Don't waste your money. GMC should give a better deal - anything other than ozito.

the 210 and 254 Ozitos looked nasty, save the dollars.
    I did however buy the 305mm Ozito SCMS for $249, this model has twin rails and seems to give an accurate cut over the full slide length.
    After checking and adjusting and remarking the mitre gauge i can cut 45 degree mitres consistantly for my picture frames that just fit together without fine tuning by hand.
    I have cut some sacrificial MDF up into spot on 45 degree corners so it is easy to keep a check on accuracy.

I can't comment on the accuracy of the compund functionality as i don't use it.

The 80 tooth blade was the initial clincher for me as the primary initial use of the big saw was to slice up photo roll paper, it's cheaper to buy it in wider widths and cut to 430mm for my printer than to buy the 430mm wide rolls.
    To me it's about bang for buck and be aware of any limitations of the cheaper tool.

Phil

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

The Ryobi got a fauvorable review in AWR, and just under $300.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Years ago I bought one identical to the 254mm. Was some no name brand

http://www.ozito.com.au/productinfo.aspx?prodid=CMG-411

Bought it for about $200 back before Ozito GMC and other "cheapies" were around. Quite possibly the same as the Ozito, just rebadged.

When I bought it there was no other option, without an extra 1 in front of the price.

I bought it maybe 7 - 8 years ago. Only had one rail, which wasn't too much of a problem as I thought it might have been. Accuracy wasn't bad, especially if you remembered to put slight pressure left or right each time. Rarely used it for compound cuts.

Between my use, my brother in-laws use and a neighbour we Used it to build 4 massive decks, numerous bits of furniture and replace all skirting/architraves in 2 houses. Was well used and abused. Had a good 80 tooth blade.

Only died a few months ago, when one of the gears shredded itself. Couldn't find a replacement so bought the GMC $290 one. (Got it for $170 from a warranty/repair outlet - Had never been used, blade still had all the paint, and was only missing a plastic knob on one part.)

I would pick the GMC over the Ozito though, seems a bit more solid/accuraate.

I have never had a good ozito experience yet!
    Belt sander - Plate not flat and the switch broke (stayed on) so it raced around the shed!
    Stapler - Just died 3 days after purchase
    Stapler (replacement for above) fires more staples out the bottom than out the front where it should.
    Whipper snipper - same as the original stapler.
    They should be ashamed of themselves!!

A mate bought one of them and took it back as it would not cut with any accuracy, he set it up and made a cut next cut was 1-2 degrees out. It was replaced (Bunnings) and the new one was the same, took it back. they then took one out of the box and checked it, you guessed it the same. He asked for a refund and they gave it to him with a full apology and a $20 voucher for the mess.

P.S. I bought a planer and chipped a blade (my fault) went to Bunnings only to find they do not carry spare blades and neither does anyone else.

IMHO, give it a big miss and buy something a bit better.
    savage(Eric)

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Default scms review

Iain, which AWR edition had a review of the sliding compound mitre saws, I only get them occasionally and the latest one has only compound mitre saws in it. I'm interested in the Ryobi with the twin rails that is under $300 in bunnies - anybody any comments on what they are like?
    regards,
    Smithy

Drop Bear Capital of Gippsland (Lang Lang) Vic Australia

Quote Originally Posted by gpsmith
    Iain, which AWR edition had a review of the sliding compound mitre saws, I only get them occasionally and the latest one has only compound mitre saws in it. I'm interested in the Ryobi with the twin rails that is under $300 in bunnies - anybody any comments on what they are like?
    regards,
    Ummm, that is the one, I just got it and glanced through and saw the review.
    A half asred response without thorough research on my part, my apologies but I am thinking that as the Ryobi got a favourable review for a CS the SCMS may be as good, plus I have one and find its not that bad.
    I was in MItre 10 yesterday and they had a new one, with two rails for $279.00.
    Stupidity kills. Absolute stupidity kills absolutely.

Melbourne Outer East right next to mount dande

Quote Originally Posted by gpsmith
    regards,
    I had 3 ryobi scms and they all went back. Arbor slop and a real fiddle to get accurate were the main problem. I had the smaller single rail first which i thought was better than the two double railers I got next. I ended up buying a table saw after one old stager told me that scms was a luxury item.

If yiou have to have one the Bosch or Makita are real nice.

The ryobi would be ok for framing but not for precision. Also I reckon it would be good for around one big framing job before it clapped out.
    ray c
    dunno what's more fun, buyin' the tools or usin' em'