Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you store your sandpaper?

I keep mine in a plastic shopping bag and I have to say it's a bloody hopeless system.

The flat sheets of wet and dry curl and I seem to always end up going right through the bag to find the grit size I want.

So I'm after clever ideas for storing sandpaper.

Tell me about your system.

Cheers
    Craig

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I use pigeon hole units removed from old desks. Would be easy to make if you were inclined. I also place an offcut on top to keep the velcro discs flat. Mine needs a good sort out by the looks of it.
    Cheers,
    Rod

Craig

Just buy one of those $10 concertina document files from KMart. Keeps the sheets flat and you can even number each divider with the grit #. Mine goes from 60 up to 1200, then a section for mouse, ROS, angle grinder carver blades and linisher discs.

Works fine.
    Bodgy
    "Is it not enough simply to be able to appreciate the beauty of the garden without it being necessary to believe that there are faeries at the bottom of it? " Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Bodgy
    Craig

Just buy one of those $10 concertina document files from KMart. Keeps the sheets flat and you can even number each divider with the grit #. Mine goes from 60 up to 1200, then a section for mouse, ROS, angle grinder carver blades and linisher discs.

Works fine.
    I like it.

I take two pieces of 1/4" ply, drill a couple of holes at one side for a shop-made wire hinge (takes a few seconds to do), then use these to keep "books" of W&D. They can be "filed" away. This method also keeps (presses) the paper flat.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I store them between sheets of 3ply, nothing flash like Derek though
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

I do what Groggy does.

I bought a plastic one from Officeworks though.
    Not only can you store separate grits in separate pockets, you can even have separate ones for wet and dry, cloth backed, and even stick discs in there too.

Then you only need to make one pigeon hole, big enough to hold the concertina file!

Oh, and the paper stays dry, and flat too.

P

I used to keep them in a manila folder, with cardboard bits dividing the grades, but the drawer got rather full of all the half used bits and pieces. Now I have two paper pidgeon hole containers to use instead. They have space for rolls (for if I ever buy rolls) but the best bit is the pidgeon shelf sets were about to be thrown out so were free.

cheers
    Wendy

I made a box about 300 x 300 x 300 (just a bit bigger than the sheets anyway) out of 12mm MDF with 6 or 7 shelves and a back made of 4.5mm MDF. Open front - just like those paper storage units you used to be able to buy to put beside the typewriter to hold letterhead, carbon paper, file paper etc etc..... It works OK and it fits in a regular shelving unit. Good thing is you can see what you are running out of. There is a design in one of the magazines - maybe Woodsmith - sometime in the last 12 months.

Have tried a few different methods. As I need to have quick access to it when turning, I now use a series of small bulldog clips which can hang from various nails, this way they are always accessible and I can take them to different parts of the workshop.

The really big sheets I got at the last Bris. woodwork show I keep rolled up and they are fine.

The smaller sheets I have piled up in a plastic supercheap box and I keep piling stuff on top - this is a crap method and I don't recommend it - I just let you know i store lots of stuff badly cuz the shed is way overstocked and things get all on top of one another.

Building an awning on this existing shed and a new shed soon to take the gardening stuff out of my shed. Then I will use the methods given by others here.

Order is wonderful - one day
    Cheers

TEEJAY

There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

(Man was born to hunt and kill)

Okay thats fine for flat sheets... what about rolls? or those ones for belt sanders?

Im presently makin a couple of units to go on the benches and was wondering about just this thing yesty... put pegs in and hang them?

Cheers
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

I use a lever arch folder with plastic envelopes in it to hold the abrasive. Just cut the sheets in half when I get them and put them in the appropriate envelopes.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Dingo
    Okay thats fine for flat sheets... what about rolls? or those ones for belt sanders?

Im presently makin a couple of units to go on the benches and was wondering about just this thing yesty... put pegs in and hang them?

Cheers
    Belts for the sander - I hang the new ones on pegs up high according to grit. The ones I am using - yes, I could use ideas too - they lie around and get in the way and you end up getting a new one - so now you got two good used 100 grit ones in circulation.... plus an 80 and a 60.... They don't go in pigeon holes willingly and after a bit of wear it is impossible to read the grit rating. Perhaps a drawer, just for the current lot of (good) used belts with partitions, one for each grit..... and a label. Getting to sound like Alice's restaurant...

I built a box for the flat sheets as shown , seperated by ply with tabs to show the grit. The weight always keeps the sheets flat and reany to go

For the lid I have a stop and a hacksaw blade so I can tear the sheets for my 1/3rd sheet sander

Rgds
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast