Thanks Thanks:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Fixing pedestal drill

Greetings,

I am fixing up a pedestal drill which was put out on hard rubbish (!). One of the handles has broken off, the table is full of holes but I have had lots of practice fixing these problems. The problem is the shaft with the pinion that feeds the quill has a threaded end with a slot in it, said slot engages with the spring that retracts the quill up. The screw thread on this bit is very fine, a 1/2" BSF or similar, and the threads have worn to the extent that the locking nut that keeps the whole thing together no longer holds. I am not sure what to do, I don't have a lathe else I would just form a new threaded stud. It's a pain to think that a perfectly good machine is wanting a few tenths of a gram of metal to work again.

Perhaps I need external thread inserts, but last time I went looking for there, they told me that they were out back with the left handed screwdrivers and the skyhooks

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by bloodandsawdust View Post
    Greetings,

I am fixing up a pedestal drill which was put out on hard rubbish (!). One of the handles has broken off, the table is full of holes but I have had lots of practice fixing these problems. The problem is the shaft with the pinion that feeds the quill has a threaded end with a slot in it, said slot engages with the spring that retracts the quill up. The screw thread on this bit is very fine, a 1/2" BSF or similar, and the threads have worn to the extent that the locking nut that keeps the whole thing together no longer holds. I am not sure what to do, I don't have a lathe else I would just form a new threaded stud. It's a pain to think that a perfectly good machine is wanting a few tenths of a gram of metal to work again.

Perhaps I need external thread inserts, but last time I went looking for there, they told me that they were out back with the left handed screwdrivers and the skyhooks
    Do you think you have enough thread left to use a nylock nut.

How about something like this clampable collar from Small Parts ? Not dirt cheap but it might work.

1C-050-A Collars - Shaft - Clamp Type

Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by pipeclay View Post
    Do you think you have enough thread left to use a nylock nut.
    Worth a go, I'm off to the local Bolt Bloke this lunchtime. Great idea, the engineers at work were on about machining it off and inserting a new stud, or building it up with a welder and then using a toolpost grinder in a lathe to get it back round. Nothing like a simple solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Anorak Bob View Post
    How about something like this clampable collar from Small Parts ? Not dirt cheap but it might work.

1C-050-A Collars - Shaft - Clamp Type

Bob.
    I don't think that these will work for me, as the stud has a slot through it lengthwise, and the collar might just close up the slot. Of course, I could always put a shim in the slot to keep in open.

Another good idea.

You can get these from Miniature Bearings in Queenland Clamps - Shaft Product Listing, but they are easy to make if you have a steel collar of the right size. Just hold it in a machine vise in a drill press and use a slot drill to form the counterbore for the hex head bolt, then drill & tap a hole.

Quote Originally Posted by bloodandsawdust View Post
    Worth a go, I'm off to the local Bolt Bloke this lunchtime. Great idea, the engineers at work were on about machining it off and inserting a new stud, or building it up with a welder and then using a toolpost grinder in a lathe to get it back round. Nothing like a simple solution.
    If there is enough thread to grip the nylon it may work,but if not its only cost a little time and a $1 or $2.

If it's a stud can't you just remove it and replace with another or get a bolt with the correct thread, cut a slot in the threaded end, then cut to length.

Nev

A photo of the part would be good so we could understand the issue better.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by pipeclay View Post
    If there is enough thread to grip the nylon it may work,but if not its only cost a little time and a $1 or $2.
    The bolt bloke gave me a very old fashioned look "You want a Nylock? You'll be be lucky if we got that size at all. Sure yo don't want a BSW?". The only nut he could get was a steel, and cost me 50c as it had been machined out of bar. But he told me a great trick for making a locking nut. Just get a ballbearing about the size of the bolt, put in in the nut and give a good whack with a hammer. This deforms the top thread enough that it grips the thread tightly, without damaging it totally, and unlike the other trick of cutting partway through the nut with a hacksaw & squeezing it in the vice, does not weaken it at all.

The nut fits on my drill perfectly, even on the damaged thread, and now that I can make it go up & down I can get on with the rest of the restoration. And I know a new trick. And it cost me only 50c.

Thanks for the ideas!