Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Taking Pics of Your Pens

Posted this over at ThePenShop and thought someone might find it useful here too. This isn't the ultimate guide and doesn't involve building light boxes or anything, just some basics that should be able to be done with any reasonable digital camera
    The few easy steps that follow is all I do to take pic similar to the pen in this thread are below. This assumes you have Macro mode on your camera (little picture of a flower symbol) and the self timer function. If you have adjustable shutter exposure that is helpful but not essential.

• Prop the pen up on something so you can position the camera horizontally on a bench/table without having to hold it.
    • If you don't have a mini tripod then use a book or two to raise the pen off the bench slightly
    • Set the camera to macro mode
    • Set the camera to use its self timer, the camera needs to be absolutely still for the best picture, so don't hold it
    • Position the camera approx 6" away from the pen, this is why you need to use the macro mode function on your camera. The distance for your camera you will need to experiment with, but when you get the right distance, make yourself some form of measuring stick so you can position the camera right every time.
    • Sunlight makes for the best pictures, but if you can't do that get it under a bright light.
    • If you find your pictures are coming out a little dark then try setting the shutter exposure to around 1/4 to 1/2 of a second (if your camera has the ability). Again experiment with what works best
    • Start taking pictures!
    • I always take multiple shots for each pen. One with no flash, one with flash and depending on how the pics are looking I will experiment with delaying the shutter a little.

The pic in the thread mentioned above was the best out of five pics I took. It was done in the evening (no sun) under normal lights in the kitchen with the camera set to about a 1/4 sec exposure as it was a little dark on the normal shutter speed (although acceptable if I had no choice).

Remember the great thing with digital cameras is you can take 100's of shots and it won't cost you a cent except for your time. An afternoon spent practising will improve your camera technique for a lifetime.

Oh and while you are practising keep a notepad beside you so you can write down each setting you have tried, no good having 3 great shots out of 50 and not being able to remember what settings you used on the camera

Hope some of that helps someone.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Thank you Toasty that is good. I am photo retarded. I going to print this out for next pen.. At the moment I am having withdrawals. Had to pull my lathe and all my gear in 2 days ago because it looked like raining. At this my gear has no roof. Then after all this effort the bloody clouds cleared off. So this afternoon hopefully ..I'll get a fix and then I am going to have a go at your techinique with the camera. Thank mate
    Toni

I have a fairly decent digital camera (not to toot my own horn) but i have found with light exposure ( i do most of my work at night time as i work 7-5 every day) i found that flurecent lighting is better than the normal filament globe... Althought my flash is pretty ok... fluro lighting does make for a more sharper picture when taking macro photos at night time..

Most of my pics i take are just on the pool table, so the background isnt very nice.. i will have to start using a prop and experiment.. hehe

Cheers for the guide Toasty
    Chuck Norris dosnt Push Himself up when he does a push-up... He pushes the world DOWN!!

Thanks for the guide Toasty, I'll give it a go.
    Chris
    ========================================

Life isn't always fair

....................but it's better than the alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by Toasty View Post
    [-]Set the camera to macro mode
    An afternoon spent practising will improve your camera technique for a lifetime.
    ROFL! Maybe that's true for yours, but you obviously haven't met my camera from hell! I'm sure it's interface was designed by Satan. Either that or it's using Windows OS. Not that there's any real difference there.

After a lifetime practicing, you may be able to get it set to macro mode in only an afternoon. I didn't know it had a video function until I accidentally found it while trying to photo a goblet... of course, I've never managed to get back to it now that I kn ow it can.

It appears to have full GPS facilities, probably more computing power than the Space Shuttle, I'm pretty sure a 747 has tried to use it as a landing beacon and I also suspect it can wash dishes. I mean, this thing has all the bells'n'whistles and I reckon I'll find all of 'em at least once (but never deliberately) before I ever manage to find the bloody macro mode. :mad:

Have I said lately that I hate my camera?
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Quote Originally Posted by Skew ChiDAMN!! View Post
    . :mad:

Have I said lately that I hate my camera?
    Mate . . .

Ill happily swap ya for my Fuji model POS, which only has three settings LOL.

It actually takes pretty good snaps, and even has the little flower embossed in its own plastic button for those who are unfamiliar with scrolling (a menu, not timber)

Having said that, I find an external source rather than the cameras flash is best too.

Dick. C.
    ..... Rich

They say the Irish are wierd? Scotch Finger Biscuits.

Default pic techniques

Thanks for the advice, Im not a great photographer and I do have all that stuff on my camera if I learn to use it.
    So Ill try your advice and give it a shot -wink wink nudge nudge hee hee.