Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pyrophone - LPG gas engineer needed

Hi everyone,
    I made the body of a pyrophone ( 12 pyrex glass tubes of varying lengths, with a gas flame quarter the way up the tubes to produce the note. Sounds like a very large bass flute when tuned, or a constipated elephant, when not ) a couple of years ago. The project stopped when I realised that I know nothing about propane/LPG gas systems, how to light a flame remotely when it's inside a 50mm tube, gas flow rates to determine hose diameters, gas bottle sizes, etc. etc. I initially thought I could adapt stove/BBQ parts, but it's turned out not to be so simple. I also need it to be safe, so it can be used in public.

I'm hoping someone out there, by some miracle, is, or knows of, an LPG gas engineer who I can employ to help me design the gas system for this beast. They need more training than your average gas plumber and to be open minded and creative enough to work on something "different". Any help, comments or advise, welcome and appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

And I thought Beethoven was crazy for having a cannon in one of his compostions :eek:

Anyway which part of this evil instrument is made of wood??
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Quote Originally Posted by tcowdroy View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I made the body of a pyrophone ( 12 pyrex glass tubes of varying lengths, with a gas flame quarter the way up the tubes to produce the note..
    I think the correct name for this isn't a pyrophone but a luna a phone
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

It does sound intriguing though... pity all I know about gas is related to Dutch Oven's.
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

It sounds like a crazy idea, I know, but the visual and sound effect is stunning. The starting and stopping of the tones is a little unpredictable, so timed melodies within an ensemble are not really possible. It works more as a multi toned drone. The woodworking part is in the case work, as in a pipe organ.

My day has not been wasted I've learnt something

Any chance of a photo?
    - Wood Borer

Check out this site for a an MPEG of a pyrophone. Interesting instrument but I think I'll stick to my guitars

http://www.nununugent.com/pyrophone.htm
    Whatever note you blow youre never more than a semitone away from the correct one....(Miles Davis)

Great stuff.

You could have the torches running under all tubes and use gates controlled by keys to direct the hot air either up the pipe or just exhaust it away from the pipes.

Novel idea but I think I will stick with the music made by a sharp plane on a piece of hardwood - magic.
    - Wood Borer

Default pyrophone photo

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Borer View Post
    Any chance of a photo?

Here's a photo of the pyrophone so far (assuming I've uploaded correctly). Apologies for the crap image quality. It's mostly silky oak with perforated zinc plated panels front and sides so that it glows when operating. The front panel is removeable so that a 9kg gas bottle can be put inside and the flame tip positions can be adjusted/serviced etc. The pyrex tubes are a little out of whack because they are just sitting in the holes at this stage. Still have to work out how to clamp them in place without breaking them.Attachment 30256

Get hold of a copy of the 'Film Production (Producers?)Book' - its an annual state-by-state listing of all the film/movies/ad people in Australia. You want a Special Effects Technician with experience in gas fire effects & pyrotechnics - yes I know someone who could do the job, but you probably wouldn't want to pay his rates.

There are ceramic/electric gas igniters that would do what you want & are off the shelf items.

Thanks bsrlee.

Hey, if this thing is LPG powered you might want to try for the new government subsidy for LPG vehicle conversion. Just put a set of wheels on your pyrophone and tell them the thing is petrol powered but you want to convert to LPG.

Melbourne Outer East right next to mount dande

I have a deal of experience with LP gas as I was a studio potter for many years and dabbled with propane fired kilns. Even built a 35 cuft monster wth 6 38mm venturi burners. I dunno how we survived as it was very ad hoc in those days with little in the way of controls and safety rules to do with setting up LP gas fired kilns. Plenty of times I walked away shaking with singed eyebrows and hairless arms

The thing with propane is that is heavier than air and if you aren't carefull you will blow yourself up. It collects in the low areas and on a day with no wind you can get enough in hole that will blow more than your hat off.

It is extremely dangerous and my advice is dont mess with it. Like the man said its definitley a "lunaphone"

Every whiff of unburnt gas that escapes ignition will fall into the nearest low spot and await a source of combustion
    ray c
    dunno what's more fun, buyin' the tools or usin' em'

In the clip that Kiwigeo provided the Pyrophonologist if thats the right term applies gas (and flame) to only two pipes at any one time and moves from pipe to pipe to get the different notes.
    how do you propose to acheive a similar effect? Would you have pilot lights in each tube and add gas when needed to any tube?

It sounds like old picker is making sense but don't let that stand in your way there are more ways than one to skin a Pyrophonologist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast