Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Joing old to new weatherboards extension drama

The builders have started putting up weatherboards on the side of the extension on the house and have joined the old weatherboards to the new weatherboards (in the new extension) by using a joining strip.

Thats fine except the horizontal bottom level of the old and new weatherboards arent level. The builder says its impossible unless you reclad all the old weathboards because they are out of shape and arent all level with each other. I am not so sure and am asking if anyone has had a similar problem.

I have attached a diagram to show the problem. I think it will look pretty ordinary and I dont want to pull off the old boards and replace them.

cheers

Cobber

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

The guys who did my place said the same thing as the guys doing yours.
    I thought that it would look pretty average too but to be honest i hardly even notice now that they have been primed in pink.

A couple of my mates (forum members too) havent noticed either so i dont think it will be such a big deal..........but then again its your house and you have too look at them.

cheers
    Steve
    if you always do as you have always done, you will always get what you have always got

What does your builder mean that they "aren't level with each other "? Does he mean that they are not the same from one side of the house to the other?If so,why can't he match them up tot he side that is most obvious and exposed,such as the driveway side.

Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Cobber View Post
    Thats fine except the horizontal bottom level of the old and new weatherboards arent level. The builder says its impossible unless you reclad all the old weathboards because they are out of shape and arent all level with each other. I am not so sure and am asking if anyone has had a similar problem.
    Personally I can't see that with a bit of care and effort the builder can't line the new WB level with the old. When I did my extension (many years ago) that question never came up even though the old part was about 25 years old at the time.

Sounds like you're being had and the builder is taking short cuts. I would not pay unless they were level and I would tell the builder immediately.

Peter.

Interesting....I agree I think they are taking short cuts. I also agree to an extent that it wont be too noticeable once its painted.

For the life of me though I still cant figure out why they cant be joined in line properly even if some of the widths differ. I dont care that some of widths differ (I didnt even notice until I actually measure it up).

I am going to talk to them on Monday. It annoys me that they didnt even consult me that they werent going to be in line and I have to see it myself to discover it. I dont believe it rocket science.

Cobber

Interesting....I agree I think they are taking short cuts. I also agree to an extent that it wont be too noticeable once its painted.

For the life of me though I still cant figure out why they cant be joined in line properly even if some of the widths differ. I dont care that some of widths differ (I didnt even notice until I actually measure it up).

I am going to talk to them on Monday. It annoys me that they didnt even consult me that they werent going to be in line and I have to see it myself to discover it. I dont believe it rocket science.

The builder then had the nerve to tell me that the old weatherboards should be replaced...total garbage...they might need a sand but they are more solid than the pine crap they are putting up now!!!

Cobber

Here is a photo I have uploaded which shows the problem. I cannot understand it and will be disputing with the builder tomorrow.

If someone with experience thinks that this couldnt be helped then let me know.

i should add the back also has weatherboards which lines up with the new ones...there are 21 boards on the old and the new.

cheers

Cobber

Are you saying that the new line with the old on the other side?In which case the two sides of the existing house are not level,and the builder could not help it.But he should have done it where it was least noticeable...on the blind side of the house,and matched the most obvious side.

Tools

No the back on the house (around the corner) has new weaterboards that they have put in line with these weatherboards...and on the other side of the house( on the blind side of the house) they will be joined as well but this hasnt been completed yet. I can see that there are 23 weatherboards in the old part and they have put 22 in the new part??

It looks like a breakdown in communication there. The builder should have consulted you and asked about the finish required. There's no reason I can see that the boards couldn't have been lined up if he'd allowed a bit more overlap and used an extra board, but it's new to old and it wouldn't be mentioned in the contract. If it were my place, I'd have spent a little bit more time and a little bit more material, and I would have 'toothed' the new into the old with no joint strip. I would have removed all of those short boards next to the old window and run the new boards up to it. When it's painted you wouldn't even notice the extension. It would look like it 'grew there'. Of course he'd be entitled to charge a bit more for that since it wouldn't be in the contract.
    From the looks of that photo there's a waste pipe coming out of the upper floor about where the join is. If that's going to run down the wall then it will cover the joint and you won't notice it as much when it's painted.

Like I said a bodgy job. I have no problems with the joining strip, I have them my self but the boards should have been lined up.:mad:

It is no good saying that once painted you won't notice it because , unfortunately, you and your family will see it every time you look at it and be reminded that you were taken for a sucker by a bodgy builder.

I would get it fixed or won't pay but I would have specified in the contract that they were to be lined up and matched with the existing cladding.

Peter.

You're builder has been lazy. I recently extended my place and matched the old and new weatherboards successfully.

I placed a weatherboard stop like yourself, and first lined up the bottom weatherboard. Then I progressively worked my way up using the overlap of the old weatherboards. This was different all the way up. Honestly, it doesn't take any longer. Your builder probably used a standard 140mm overlap.

He reckons is standard to keep them all the same width. You cant even tell that the old ones have different widths to be honest.

It would mean they would have to keep the different levels around the whole house and the back of the new extension as well. I have made a complaint and will take it to BACV if need be.

Just looking at the pic again,it doesn't appear that ANY of the boards line up at all,including the first one! So where did they get the height to start from?

Tools

Exactly...you would have though they would have started in line from the bottom or top but they havent. They insist they have donr it to standards and they do it all the time....sounds like garbage to me...Im still persuing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast