Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tour

tour

I will be on a tour of part of Australia in March 2003. We will visit Sydney,Adelaide,Alice Springs,Uluru and Cairns. I do hobby woodturning and am very interested in "different" woods. Where will I be able to see samples of various. "Australian wood? Probably a woodturners galery or such. A woodturners "event" would be great. That way I would get to visit with some local woodturners.

------------------

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Just to be inquisitive ... what are you touring?

------------------
    May the stink be with you
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

mn2tx

When you visit Cairns take the Skyrail to Kuranda. Train ‘up’ and cable car ‘down’ or vice versa. Apart from the trip over the rain forest you will have the opportunity to tour the craft market in Kuranda. A few of the local wood turners produce their wares from the litter created by ‘cyclones’ (typhoons in your lingo). They use such local timbers as northern silky oak, Queensland maple, black bean, Queensland walnut, cedar, mango etc. From memory there is at least one timber supplier in Kuranda who will export.

Enjoy Cairns, it is my favourite destination.

Red Neck
    Mal

Cool

We will be on an "Elderhostel" tour of New Zeland and Australia. I never been down your way so would Like to see everything from under the ocean to the southern Cross.And everything in between. Do you think 30 days is enough.
    Originally posted by Sir Stinkalot:
    Just to be inquisitive ... what are you touring?

WWe will be in Cairns a couple days then we go out on the reef for 3 days. That should give us time to leave the tour for a couple hours and do our own thing. Thanks for the reply and the advice.Unrelated message I need to tell somebody. We just got the last of the beans in the bin as it started to rain and is forcast to change to snow. Lucky day for us.Be happy with me.
    Originally posted by Red neck:
    mn2tx

When you visit Cairns take the Skyrail to Kuranda. Train ‘up’ and cable car ‘down’ or vice versa. Apart from the trip over the rain forest you will have the opportunity to tour the craft market in Kuranda. A few of the local wood turners produce their wares from the litter created by ‘cyclones’ (typhoons in your lingo). They use such local timbers as northern silky oak, Queensland maple, black bean, Queensland walnut, cedar, mango etc. From memory there is at least one timber supplier in Kuranda who will export.

Enjoy Cairns, it is my favourite destination.

Red Neck

mn2tx

If you have 2 free days in Cairns try to do a trip to the Atherton Tableland it will take a day to do and hopefully will stop at the Tolga Timberworks. If it is like the old days you'll see everything happening and find out what is available here.

Smile

Thanks for the info. We will also make a short stop in Brisbane. We fly to Sydney from there. I will try to get to Tolga Timberworks. I am just looking for a few samples that I can turn and collect.
    Originally posted by jamesy:
    mn2tx

If you have 2 free days in Cairns try to do a trip to the Atherton Tableland it will take a day to do and hopefully will stop at the Tolga Timberworks. If it is like the old days you'll see everything happening and find out what is available here.

Arrow

Hi if'n you're not goin' thru Penola S.A. then you'll miss the monument to the BBBLand that would be a shame forsooth.

For herein lies in eternal rest the Lathe to beat all lathes R.I.P.

------------------
    Johnno
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

What is BBBLand?? I will look for Penola S A on the map. I don't know if we go there.
    Originally posted by John Saxton:
    Hi if'n you're not goin' thru Penola S.A. then you'll miss the monument to the BBBLand that would be a shame forsooth.

Question

Johnno; What do you mean by that last statment about the lath at rest forever???
    Originally posted by John Saxton:

Lightbulb

mn2tx, The BBBLand is the home of D.Stop esq.(known here as doorstop)

The BBBL is or was supposedly doorstops marvelous wood turning machine which was blue! hence Beautiful Big BLUE Lathe.

Penola is roughly north or north east of mount gambia in South Australia. possably a bit out of the way for a tour group.

Which reminds me.. Doorstop, how come the lathe you was using in melbourne was NOT Blue????

Kev
    I try and do new things twice.. the first time to see if I can do it.. the second time to see if I like it
    Kev

Unhappy

Doorstop, Will you tell him or shall I?(RIP.BBBL)
    Regards, John H.
    (Mt. GambIA!!!!)
    Jack the Lad.

mn2tx,like Brudda(Kev) says about the BBBL,it was on the market to be sold for a considerable period...but alas to no avail it was consigned to another task and that is to blunt the teeth of the local white ants in the Penola region.

Seriously though, there is woodturning in most Australian towns such is the following of this pursuit and Woodturning clubs are numerous as no doubt they are in the States.
    The Australian Woodworker magazine is probably a good purchase for you when you get to Oz...check the news-agents shops.This will have a section pertaining to Adverts with some covering of woodcrafts etc.

Most of the previous posts were of a light hearted nature....as is the wont here to make light of most things!

Cheers

------------------
    Johnno
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

yeah as others have said the markets up the top of the sky rail and the tablelands try to get hold of some current bush very nice colour grain andgreat to turn.
    Scooter

Cool

Thanks All you All for the good advice as to wood and were to go and enjoy our visit. Black bean , mongo, & current bush are all foreign to me. I expect your maple, wallnut & cedar are much like ours . ? right? I will definetly look up a Australian woodworkers mag. That cable car over the rain forest I think is already on our itinery.
    What are your favorite Australian woods to turn? Mesquite , from Texas,ranks very high with me. It is tough, very stable, and turns and finishes well. Also a dark brown color.
    We stay 3 0r 4 months in Texas each winter. I joined a woodturning club there also.

May BBBBBL rest in peace.
    I hope those white ants aren't as mean as our red ants.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast