Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question Replacing metal flashings above windows on Hardiplank clad house

Hi Folks
    Have a house aged about 15 years old on west coast of New Zealand. Problem all head flashings above windows have corroded badly due to exposure to salt spray etc.
    House is clad with Hardiplank woodgrain weatherboard and flashings are nailed between weatherboard above window. Not sure if they have silcone as well holding them in place.
    Anyone done this sort of repair/renovation without major damage to weatherboards as been Hardiplank and type not available anymore apparently.
    I was going to use hacksaw blade up between weatherboards to cut nail holding them in place then withdraw damaged flashing out and then replace with new stainless steel flashing. Will then fill hole in weatherboard and put new fixings in weatherboard.
    Anyone with experience of this or has any tips etc please let me know.
    Thanks in anticipation of your responses.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Malc,
    I'll start with the disclaimer that I am not a builder and know sfa about how to properly install windows but I have installed my own and dont seem to be having any problems.
    Firstly I didn't think you had flashing above your window..only below.
    Secondly I didnt think that your flashing had to be visible as it should be covered by your hardyplank.
    Dont worry I'm sure some builder/engineer/architect type will soon correct me (They love doing that)

Anyway trying to take the planks off without breaking them???? the hacksaw sounds good but once you have the board off use some pincers to remove the nail from the stud and use the existing nail hole on the board to put in a new nail.

Have you thought about building wooden surrounds around your window to cover the flashing?
    I'm also a bit suprised to hear that the Hardiplank is no longer available in NZ, might be worth further investigation via James Hardy web site.

Cheers

Your method of repair seems to be most reasonable to me. Hardiplank will be very brittle though, after 15yrs, so go slowly and carefully, and you might get it done ok.

That woodgrain stuff used to be all the rage for second story addittions, back in the late seventies/early eighties in Australia. I have installed heaps of it, and have also demolished plenty of it as well. If you do break some, I am sure you will find some S/H if you keep looking.

Edit.... Just had a look at Hardies .au site, and they still have the stuff.
    look here http://www.jameshardie.com.au/Produc...es/default.htm

Hi again,

The Hardies .nz site has some "Frontier" woodgrain cladding, although it looks like the old design, the sheet widths are 310mm, and the old style sheets are 300mm. You may be able to get some of the new stuff and cut it down, to match up with your job.

Here it is..... http://www.jameshardie.co.nz/index.p...pi_productid/3

Good luck )

I think the older Hardi plank woodgrain boards contain asbestos. Make sure you find out before you start cutting or breaking it.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Good point,

Contact Hardies technical people, and they will walk you through the identification process. It doesn't contain any blue asbestos, I know that for sure, after using the stuff so much (it is easily identified), however it may well have white asbestos in it. White isn't as bad as blue (so they say), but then they used to say with the blue "No worries mate", and we all no that is BS.

try punching the nails in on the weatherboard above the window ie the one covering the flashing. Use a punch that is as big as the nail head if bullet head or as big as the shaft if a flat head. With flat head you can often punch the shaft thru the head and so remove the head. Another way to remove the head is to drill it off like removing a pop rivet head.
    After replacing flashing renail as best you can then use polyurethane to patch any nail holes in the boards. The polyurethane is really good to do joins in the weatherboards.