Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default gyprock crack! how to fix it

Hello All,
    I just made a big crack on the ceiling, about one 1m in length, just a crack, no follow through,

what would be the best way to fix it? or do i have to replace the entire gyprock sheet? if i ask some one professional to fix, how much would be the charge.

thanks
    Dilan

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Dilan,

Scroll down the posts in this section and you will find posts on fixing the crack.

I also have tips on fixing cracks on my web site.

Cheers
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Quote Originally Posted by Dilan View Post
    Hello All,
    I just made a big crack on the ceiling, about one 1m in length, just a crack, no follow through,

what would be the best way to fix it? or do i have to replace the entire gyprock sheet? if i ask some one professional to fix, how much would be the charge.

thanks
    Dilan
    I don't think you would need to replace with an entire gyprock sheet. My guess (I have no proper experience) is that you need some qyprock plaster, smooth it over the crack, it needs 3 coats. Then you can give it a light sand for a smooth finish.

The gyprocker that did my place was very unreliable, so to get the job done I had to finish off some areas. He left his plaster, so I read the instructions on the tub, and finished the job. I had to fix up a crack like you described but half the size. It wasn't hard at all.

Just re-iterate that I am not an expert, but this is how I went about doing it myself.

HEY THATS UNUSUAL!! An unreliable plasterer?? LOL
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Quote Originally Posted by rod@plasterbrok View Post
    HEY THATS UNUSUAL!! An unreliable plasterer?? LOL

Seriously, I had no idea what to expect from a plasterer. But I was pretty sure that quoting to finish the job within three weeks but only starting three months later, then finishing (not properly) almost five months later, that something was terribly wrong. Not to mention zero attempt to contact us, avoiding our calls - his phone left on voice mail "talk to me baby":eek: for an extended period of that time.

I think I managed to get what was perhaps the most unreliable tradesman about. A lesson learnt though

I wish I would have found this forum, to get some advice on how to deal with it because I had no idea.

The trouble is, Plasterering is such an easy job to get into and pays pretty good.

In most cases plasterers start out as a labourer for some one else and after 6 months starts out on his own and employs another labourer etc etc. The skills pool is being severely depleted as poor quality tradesmen are teaching people to become poor quality tradesmen.

Often these guys simply don't know what a good job is or how to be reliable. We see it day in and day out.

We had the miss fortune to try out a new gang who came across as very reliable and gauranteed they would give us a top quality job. I told them they had to finish the job to a high standard before they would get paid by the builder. They assured me they would take as much time as was needed to produce a top quality job. On that basis we gave them a job to try them out.

The result.

Well they over filled the joins, had tape showing in the square set, external angles not on straight, among other things. I went around with them pointed out everything that was not acceptable and left them to fix it. The spent days and days trying to fix it. In the end, we had to accept that they simply did not have, the knowledge, the skills, nor any idea of what a good job was meant to look like.

So myself and a person I trained went in and fixed the job at their expense.

What is really scary, is that this is a gang of 15 plasterers out their working for the lager building companies! Who is accepting their 2nd rate jobs? and why?

The only way around this is definintly do not pay up a plasterer until the job is completed to a competent level. Pay a progress claim only once the sheets are hung and not a penny more until the job is sanded, corniced and complete and you accept the finish.

If there is work to do that they can't complete like under stairs or around cupboards etc. Hold back at least twice what you think it will cost to get someone else in to finish it. It is the onl way you can get some of these guys back to finish off.

Be very carefull who you get to do the job in the first place!!!

Cheers Rod
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Rod,

That makes so much sense. The job I had done here at home was by a mate who by trade is a masonary plasterer. All it was, was a 3.2 x 2.4m room that I wanted to sheet up. His work was rushed because he was keen to get home to his missus. He even cut all the mitres short and they had to be bogged up. I have patches where tape had shown though and his job on the ceiling wasn't much better. I never paid him after he did as the wife refused to part with any money or grog as he was leaving to move interstate just after. I thought for a tradie he would at least know how to hang sheets let alone finish it.
    Dave,
    hug the tree before you start the chainsaw.

Rod, you've made some strong comments on trade plasterers and in other threads on board vs hard plaster. As an OB why would I use board rather than hard plaster and how would I spot a competent tradie to do either?

Hi Eastwood,

Plasterboard to brick work is cheaper than render. Not to say you get any better finish. If a renderer does a good job "solid plaster", as its known, does a very nice job.

Finding a competent tradesman is not that easy.

We look for several qualities in a contractor and in this order.

Attitude
    Reliability
    Quality
    Quantity

If a tradesman has a good attitude and is reliable he is not going to tell you to get stuffed when you ask him to fix something!
    However quality is very important.

When you are looking for a tradesman, particularly in plastering, ask for at least three references from recent jobs they have done. Call the builder or owner and find out what sort of job they did, if they were reliable and if they completed the job in good time.

Make sure you have a written quote detailing the scope of work and materials to be used.

Ask them for their payment terms. A plasterboard contract is about 50-50 labour and materials. Payment of say 40% on delivery of materials is not unreasonable and 30% OF THE BALANCE when the job is hung (all plasterboard fixed to the walls and celings). The balance should not be paid until completion and when you are satisfied the job is done correctly. There are times when a garage, stair well or around kitchen cupboards can't be completed at the same time. You should withhold at least twice the ammout you think will be required to complete the job or you will have a hard time getting some of them back.

Beware of anyone who demands more frequent payments of larger percentages than I have described. I have been witness to many owner builders being left with a incomplete job or a job with bits done everywhere, when a plasterer has been over paid and just left.

It is only a very small percentage of tradies that do this but you dont want to be the one to find them.

I have seen plenty of horror stories of people left holding the can.

I know tradies that get the materials delivered and get a progress claim for much more than they are worth and never start the job! Or hang a few sheets and never come back.

It is more likely that the job just isn't up to scratch and if they are paid too much won't come back to fix it.

I guess I have made strong comments because we see these problems over and over again. It happens more often with plasterers because of the nature of the industry and how easy it is to call themselves a plasterer after a few months of training. Just be sure you are getting experienced people.

There are plenty of great tradesmen out there you just have to be confident you have chosen the right one.

Follow my advise above and you limit the risk of getting caught out.

I hope this help you and others from getting caught out.

Cheers

Rod Dyson
    Great plastering tips at
    www.how2plaster.com

Talking

hi all
    my first post woohoo
    just like to add some comments to what Rod has said in above post

Yes there are some shady characters in plastering (as all trades) ,but
    as a second generation plasterer please let me asure everyone that there are great plasterers doing excellent work in all areas.

Of course `buyer beware` and take all manner of precaution and checks before engaging a tradesman of any sort, Rod offers some great tips in this regard!

Rest assured though that even the home renovator will get a job of the highest standard if taking a little bit of time and research into the contractor they engage.
    Also worth noting that the cheapest quote will not be the the best job by far and trying to `knock down` a price may result in a sub standard job.
    I my self will not `price match` when a builder says but joe blo plasterer will do it for this much normally i say let them do it, knowing what it costs to do a job to a high standard- maybe this is why i have had no problems maintaining the same builders/contractors for many years.

I guess the best advice to give is that using a tradie that doesn`t seem quite right will end up costing more in the long run, espiecally when plaster is such a big part of a home.common sence prevails.
    anyway hope this can be of some help