Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Hare-brained scheme for a hanging beam

I need a hanging beam to support ceiling joists with a 4 metre span. The beam itself has to span 4 metres as well.

I have three 6 metre 90x45 Hyspan joists left over. Looking at the span tables for hanging beams, I would need a 170x45 beam to do what I want.

What I am considering doing is bolting (and perhaps gluing) two of these 90x45s together on edge to form a beam 180x45. Now, I know composite beams can be made up by joining side-by-side but I've never seen them joined on edge like this, possibly for good reason.

So whatchya think?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

just don't tell the building inspector and shellberite...

Building inspector?

It's for my new office I'm building in my shed. He's been and gone

sounds sweet then.. should work OK

Silent, sounds like it should work but I suspect an engineer would have pink fit! who knows the engineering principles of hispan? if it was solid timber you know that you would be ok, but hispan???

Maybe I should bolt three of them together. It's supposed to be stronger, faster, more able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, than similar profiles in solid timber. It's all held together with glue anyway...

I did tell a small white lie though. I have seen people make composite beams this way with LVL. All they did was glue it with liquid nails and skew nail it every 500mm or so from both side. Seemed dodgy to me at the time.

If I strap around the joists and over the top of the beam so it's not all just hanging off the bottom one, I guess it will be OK.

Sound like your talking yourself around to it. Just issue safety helmets to anyone that enters the room.

Glue the edges with resorcinal glue
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

OK, I'll buy some on the way home. I've got some Urea Formaldehyde but it's more than 2 years old now, probably should chuck it out.

I too think it will be fine, and safe. If it proves to be "weak" (which it won't) the beam will begin to sag slowly with time. It won't just break in an instant.

Some batten screws, now available in 150mm, after gluing might give you more peace of mind.

Commence to leap tall builings Mr C.

Cheers,
    conwood
    Last edited by conwood; 18th October 2006 at 04:02 PM. Reason: more info

They do this already as a bought item,and they just have a few gangnails along the length.

Tools

Melbourne Outer East right next to mount dande

I've made plenty composite beams outa 4x2.
    all I did was strap em with hoop iron and bolt 3 sets steel plates with 3/8 bolts. some i just used wood plates when i ran out of steel. they were 4 metre spans and the building inspector laughed his ar#se off and said it aint spec so you'll have to pull it down. i made trusses and everything in that shed. all i had was salvage 4x2 and wall studs. that were 20 year ago. i sold the place a few years ago an the shed still stands exactly as i built it straight as it was the day i done the frame. a lot of this regulation is crap. in the bush we just built with what we had. built light when times were thin built heavy when times were good or we'd wrecked another building or somesuch. you can see em in the bush, old sheds not built to any spec still standing 50 or even a 100 years later.

forget the regs and just do it....it aint gonna crack and fall on your head.
    ray c
    dunno what's more fun, buyin' the tools or usin' em'

Couldn't get any Resorcinol at the hardware (they didn't even know what it was), so I glued it with Max Bond and clamped it up. Tomorrow I'll run an 8" bolt through it adjacent to each joist. This stuff is pretty rigid. I reckon I could've nearly gotten away with just using one of them.

If you have the timber anyway then I would glue all three together (with Araldite or similar) in a U shape. ie One across the bottom and two upright on top of it. Then bolt it through at 300mm intervals. both through the sides and also top to bottom with BIG washers.
    Lets see that one fail
    Bob Willson
    The term 'grammar nazi' was invented to make people, who don't know their grammar, feel OK about being uneducated.

Too late I already glued two of them edge to edge. I figured if it's too flexy once I hang the joists off it, I'll just get up there and glue the third one on top. Some how, I don't think it will be necessary though

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast