Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Thicknesser or Planer Thicknesser (Jointer)

The Dept of War has finally relented and said that I can spent some money on a thicknesser - Oh Joy and Bliss

H&F are holding their annual sale - yee ha

Out comes the catalogue and I see a planer thicknesser that to my eye looks like a jointer :confused:

Ok which one is really going to be of better value - the 13" thicknesser or the planer thicknesser jointer thingy.

What will it be used for looking to build a large floor to ceiling cupboard/bookshelf then new dining table. Have timber but needs change in size.

One thing to note - the workshop is relatively small so machinery must be mobile.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Need a jointer first, then a thicknesser. 2 in one might be ok. Felders do it well but no experience with the cheaper ones.

I have had a thicknesser for 2 years but don't use it much as I need the jointer

Mark, to dress and size timber properly, you really need both machines. A thicknesser alone will make the timber the same thickness all the way through but won't flatten it (unless you stuff around with jigs).

If unsure, check out the jointer/thicknesser video we have available in the video thread. It shows the use of a combination machine and could be just what you are looking for.

Of all the cheap end combos, you'll find the ML 392 is the best.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

This can be very confusing. We all know what a thicknesser is. Some people call jointers "planers". Some people call thicknessers "thickness planers" and I've also come across "surface planer".

If it looks like a jointer to you, then it is probably an over/under combo machine, which is both, hence "Planer thicknesser". Very good for people who don't have space for both machines.

Do a search, there are pages and pages of arguments over the pros and cons. My preference is seperate machines and as far as I'm concerned, you need both.

Based on your stated requirements, I think the combo may be the best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    Mark, to dress and size timber properly, you really need both machines. A thicknesser alone will make the timber the same thickness all the way through but won't flatten it (unless you stuff around with jigs).

If unsure, check out the jointer/thicknesser video we have available in the video thread. It shows the use of a combination machine and could be just what you are looking for.

Of all the cheap end combos, you'll find the ML 392 is the best.
    Yeah what he said

|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| |^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
    | .....BIGGER ......._____| | ...BEER TRUCK.....| ||´|";,___.
    |_..._...__________/====|_..._..._______==|=||_|__|..., ] -
    "(@)´(@)"""´´" *|(@)(@) "(@)´(@)"""´´"*|(@)(@)****(@)

Had a look at the combination Planer Thicknesser (PT) and decided it really wasn't right for me:
    1. The PT used a fixed blade bar with a moveable floor to position the timber. I felt that the floor looked a bit ordinardy for a reasonably accurate cut and that it looked a bit on the short side too.
    2. The PT has to be extensively disassembled to convert to thicknesser mode and this is the mode that would be used most of the time. I would be left with a lot of spares to be stored for when I need the jointing mode.
    3. The weight of the PT at 65kg is moving out of the range that can be easily moved. My workshop is a large single car garage which means all machinery needs to be a virual pickup and carry to make way for the next machine. I would need lockable skates on the PT which would probably upset it.
    In the end I purchased the T13 portable thicknesser with stand & d/chute.

I still have the Triton bench with its planer attachment its fiddly and a pain to get good accurate results but it still can do what I need if I persevere.

Thanks to all who sent replies