Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Copper logs or treated pine logs.

I have some treated pine logs 125mm *1.8m or copper logs what ever the name.

I was planning to use them as anchors or footings, concreting them into the ground (600mm), so as to bolt steel posts onto the sides, which will support a shed. (4m high 12m long 7m wide)

But most logs have a decent split(s), although not completely through or even half through the log but down the entire length.

If I was to have a guess they have not been cured properly, young logs.

At the time I thought it was a good idea now I'm in quandary.

Any thoughts, or suggestions, are greatly needed.

Regards

Pulpo

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Pulpo,
    why not use gal post supports or post chairs, whatever you want to call them. You can either concrete them in as you pour the slab or or use the type that dynabolt onto the slab.

Those pine logs are not structural and IMHO the shed would outlast the logs/footings.

Jon

Koppers logs are structual and have supported my parents 6m high rear deck for the past 12yrs. These logs also have developed cracks in places. I have been told by a koppers rep as to the cause of these cracks but it slips my mind at the moment.
    But from it sounds like your trying to achieve I personally would go down different avenues purely for asthectics. Besides to give full structual strength you would need the logs to go full height not 1200 out of the ground only supporting the lower half. Anyway just my thoughts...Oh, don't forget Koppers logs have a warrenty! And they don't mind fulfulling there obligations in that area either even if it is towards the end of the 40 or 50 year period they give. Anyway, just my thoughts.
    CHeers
    SHane.

I think what you are proposing is a much harder way.
    there is a good variety of the previously mentioned gal harware available and it is considered " the way it is done".
    You will have a much easier time particularly with the inspectors if you stick to convention.