Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question roof restoration experiences?

I need to do something about my roof (large number of broken tiles, all are deglazed and the pointing is crumbling). It is not actually leaking but it is not good.

Does anyone have any experience with roof restorations on concrete tiles. The general process is to replace cracked tiles, re-bed and re-point ridge capping, high pressure clean whole roof and then apply a proprietry coating (basically a special paint applied by sprayer). Various warranties and longevities are claimed by the companies involved.

I was not impressed with the sales tactics of the well known roof restoration company that inspected and quoted (they won't actually leave you with a written quote and want you to sign a contract on the spot) I have also heard mixed results about how long such a coating lasts.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    George

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I found the high pressure sales of the two leading companies really annoyed me, plus their warrenties are not as good as some.
    By which I mean they will only warranty work they do, so they demand to re do it all. Other companies will do only what they believe is required and warranty the whole roof (basically warranty their judgement that parts didn't need repointing etc).

Price for the big 2 companies is really bad, hence high pressure sales, if you shop around you will find most small companies will quote 2/3 of teh big 2's final price (inc discounts and sticking a stupid sign in your garden)

Don't be pushed into anything.

The thing to check is what type of sealant the smaller companies are useing. Beware anyone too cheap, they may be only painting your roof.

Last thing is get them to seal any spare tiles you have, or to supply and seal some spare tiles, so you have the correct colour replacements (as part of the quote).

the more quotes you get the more cofidant you will become as to the correct price for the job and make an informed decision.
    Great minds discuss ideas,
    average minds discuss events,
    small minds discuss people

Default Roof

Hi George,
    Had my roof restored about 8 years ago by one of those well known company's, after I had seen what they done work wise and the time spent I was not that happy and wished that I had spent the extra and replaced the tiles with colourbond. Last year I was up on the roof cleaning the flue and noticed some red (my tiles are black) showing through , the tiles they used to replace the brocken ones were red and the paint had come off. I contacted the company and they came and inspected the roof and told me the roof needed repainting and that they would contact me when that was to happen, 6 months later and quiet a few phone calls later the roof has been resprayed. I still wish I had paid the extra for a colourbond roof.
    Cheers
    Barry

Default DIY Roof

Have you thought of painting the roof yourself...it's not rocket science....I cleaned my roof with broom and bleach then high pressure cleaner..hired a airless spray gun and painted using solarguard type paint. 5 years later still looks better than some from the professional companies....cost me about $400 to hire everything and paint and beer for helpers!!

A friend had her roof 'resealed' 7 years ago which is now peeling badly. She is in a quandary about what to do. If she gets it re-done, will the pressure cleaning remove all the peeling paint leaving the surface sound for the new coating? She thinks she should have initially retiled instead.
    Jack

I've had my concrete tiled roof done about 10 years ago. Not by one of the majors but a smaller company. I got a good price and got great service.

They did not pressure me into signing on the spot, I paid only a holding deposit of $ 20.00 until the roof was done and they turned up as arranged. They replace broken tiles (with my own), repointed everything, cleaned the roof and sealed it with a sealing coat and two days later finished it with a final colour coat. They also did about 30 spare tiles (again my own) as future spares.

I did take time of from work to supervise and check to make sure they did it correctly and that was well worth it. I suppose I could have done it my self but it is a very large roof and the back part is 2 stories high and I don't fancy working that high. Better let an expert work that high.

Peter.

I was quoted nearly $5200 for a 10x15 M house by a big co. a couple of months ago....for those $$$ I'd rather put on a new colourbond roof, or do it myself & spend the change on lager....
    Pete McK

I'm a qualified Roof Tiler and have been doing Restoration work for almost 20 years now.
    George, as for your question, try and avoid the big companies if you can.
    They have large overheads, their salemen are on very high commisions, and having done a coulple of roofs for them in my quieter times, the way they want a roof restored is not of very high standards. They mostly train any average jo-blo of the street that has no idea about roof tiling.
    If you can, get someone like myself, that's a qualified tiler and has their own small business. Always ask for a list of names and addresses of jobs they have completed, and not one's they have done within the last 12 months. Also if good quality coatings are used with proper preperation, it should last 10-15 years. The reasonably new flexible pointing we use for the ridge caps now is a lot better than the old motar mix.

Jacksin, as for your friend, usually most of the old coating will not be removed, but anything that does not come of with proper pressure washing can stay their, as long as a good sealer/primer is used before the top coatings.

If anybody else has any queries about Roof Restoration, you are welcome to email me at: [email protected]

I had my roof repainted just be fore christmas, cost me a bit bit at th etime I felt it was worth it.

HOWEVER I contacted the company, They didnt contact me.

I have had to call them back for a few bits and pieces, and had prompt attention to my calls, this could just be due to the fact they are relativly "local".

In hind sight, I should have saved a bit more and put colourbond on the roof, but atleast now I have (on paper) a 15 year warranty on the roof. I may replace the whole roof in the next few years, but I have for now a waterproof/weather proof barrier between the inside and the outside
    I try and do new things twice.. the first time to see if I can do it.. the second time to see if I like it
    Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Sturdee
    I've had my concrete tiled roof done about 10 years ago. Not by one of the majors but a smaller company. I got a good price and got great service.

Peter.
    Further to this post recently I found my original invoice and I can give some more details.

It was done in 1994, which makes it 11.5 years ago and so far I'm happy with it.

It was done by Weatherguard industries using a coloured ceramix coating.

A search of the net shows the following link http://users.atnet.net.au/ceramix/default.htm which although has a slight name change and different street number and phone number is I think the same company and using the same process and roof covering.

The total amount was $ 3500 with a deposit of $ 350 and balance on completion. I have a large roof and the price was much better than from the majors.

I had no complaints then and still haven't.

Peter.

Smile Types of roof paint

Hi everyone, I love this site!

I have recently received a couple of quotes for painting and restoring my cement tile roof as well as replacing the gutters. I have had three different opinions on the Nutech paint, Regent paint and Premier Topcoat paint. They all claim to be better than each other. Is there much of a difference? Does anyone know which is best or does it all come down to preparation, primer, sealant and number of coats? Should the job last for 7 years or 15 years like some companies are claiming?

Someone on this site recommended a company called Weatherguard but it seems like they may have gone out of business as there was no answer when I tried to call them. Does anyone have anyone else they can recommend?

Thanks a lot

Kerry

Hi, I will talk to you about it over the next few days. Too busy at the moment. I've my own restoration business for over 20 years.
    I will be able to advise you best, or if your not in an urgent hurry, could do a much better job for you.

Chat soon.

Thanks Paul, any advice would be fantastic.

Thanks!

Kerry

Kerry, I use Nutech paint, but your right, it more comes down to preparation and applications of the coatings.
    You will pay alot more for your restoration through one of the larger companies, bigger overheads, salesmen ect., but mostly just a big rip off.
    I've done a couple of jobs for them in the past and the quality of the work they require is well under my standards.
    I suggest you try and use a smaller company or tradesman. A recommendation is always good.
    I could do your roof for you but I'm booked out til early next year.
    If you wanted to send some pics of your roof I could give you an idea on what it should cost. [email protected]
    You should not be paying any more than $2000-3000 for an average house roof and that will be for a top quality complete restoration. Ridges, valleys, tiles, cleaning and painting ect:.
    As for how long it will last, I've been past roofs that I restored 15+ years ago and they still look pretty good. As long as it's done properly.

Please reply Kerry if you have any other questions and I'll answer them the best I can.
    Good luck, and like I said, if you are willing to wait for a while I would be happy to do your roof for you.

Paull
    P & M Roofing

Default Quote for roof painting and gutters

Hi Paul, thanks for your advice. I am wanting to get my roof restored quite quickly so will have to go with someone else.

I have received a couple of quotes now and am probably going to go with a company called Roof Recyclers. Their quote was $1100.00 less than the first two quotes I got. The quote is $3400.00 inc GST and this includes repointing, replacement of valley, downpipes, pressure cleaning and painting the cement tiles and also includes complete Colorbond gutters to the whole house. He said he will put one coat of sealer and 3 coats of Regent ultra. I have to have the companies sign out the front for a couple of weeks which is fine.

Do you think this sounds ok? On their written quote they have a Master Contractors logo. Is there anything such as Master Contractors? I have ony heard of Master Builders.

Thanks

Kerry

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast