Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Talking My Jet has landed ...

Yeay .. finally got to open my new toy today... love buying pressies for myself (and others of course) .. only had time to open up the box this morning before going to work .... ssooooooo cute is the mini Jet lathe.

Does one have to introduce lathes so they don't fight or get jealous??

Looking forward to having a play ... small enough to leave in the car and take with me in case I get ' a spare minute ' ... I wonder if anyone would notice

JD
    "No point getting older if you don't get smarter"

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

that sounds like you have the correct obsessive attitude. Did you remember to do the little shuffly dance? Don't forget to launch the new baby by speaking a few words and, at the same time, sprinkling a few shavings over her/him/it. Some people believe that the correct phraseology is, "Come here my little beauty, i am gonna give it to you". However, in more elevated circles, arguments for and against throaty, gurgling sounds and ritualistic bum waving have been advanced.

all I can say girl you got heaps more patience then me
    Toni

About time you opened that box JD , mine was opened before I got it home
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

JD, Congratulations, I turn most of my pens on that same lathe, I use the fastest speed, (only two speeds), I know what you feel now that you own one. A large tool box like a Black and Decker FireStorm can house the lathe and tools and glues and sandpapers etc, and the upper section keep the pen mechanisms, it is on wheels and you can take it any where there is electricity and turn, that is my reasoning. It is small enough that you could use an inverter to get 240 volts ac out of a Car Battery and turn where there is no electricity, and you can even get a solar panel to charge the car battery, that is my ambition, SIGH!!!!! Amos
    Last edited by PenTurner; 29th November 2006 at 03:02 PM. Reason: spelling

"Come here my little beauty, i am gonna give it to you"
    or alternatly would be
    "come here my little beauty, have I got a surprise for you ..."

heaps more patience then me
    not one of my known strong points, patience that is!

However I did receive a few strange looks when people did the 'wish me a happy birthday/ what did you get' routine and I prattled off things, including 'Oh and I bought myself another lathe!!'
    A 15 yr old female student asked (in a strangely genuine way) if I was lonely!!!!!! Obviously I didn't quite fit 'the mould' in her mind!:eek: :eek:

Black and Decker FireStorm
    Saw these at Bunnings and did do a bit of oohhh and arrhhing. Quite a set up you have there!

JD

i keep seeing references to B&D Firestorm around, are they at the good end or at the start once fall to bits end?

Oh and have we noticed how the designers are doing to tools what they did to runners and stereos and wirelesses (reactionary!).
    And have we noticed that what the designers do is the same thing as what they do to kids toys?

I hope we are getting past the thaught that any woman that is into power tools is..... um.......er.... how do I put this.......any way.

I've met quite a number of ladies from this board and apart from being wood loonies (whats wrong with that) they have all been quite normal.

Have you spun it up yet

If you want to freak your friends out... "store it away" in one of the kitchen cupboards & send em to look for the teabags

just to keep the prudes happy you'll have to sew a nice floral cover for it

Don't worry jen you'll have plent to be going on with when the post arrives

cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Touchwood View Post
    .... ssooooooo cute is the mini Jet lathe.

JD
    Congrats on the new addition to the family!

My baby jet was 'delivered' about a month ago now and doing very well next to her big brother MC . . (He's not real smart, but got some brawn to do the basics)

Extremely happy with mini Jet .. so smooth n quiet . . . if its a nice day on Saturday .. I may even taker her out for a spin! (being only 30 odd kg's) .. something I cant do with MC . . oh well.
    ..... Rich

They say the Irish are wierd? Scotch Finger Biscuits.

Default New Lathe JD

The new man in your life will reward you in great measure if your passion continues as it will.You will turn to it often and it will in turn satisfy you.Take care and use precautions like eye protection,dust removal for a long career.
    Show us your pens. Regards Peter

The two lathes are getting along just fine ... no arguments or tool throwing!

A question - do other Jet owners find the chrome hand wheel and the chrome area near the head drive get hot to the touch?

I've looked to see if I've got something wrong (did worry for a minute when I turned Jet on that he was so slow - then realised the belt was on slow speed, soon sorted that).

I have made 7 pens this weekend, so was giving him a bit of a work out.

Sooooo quiet, and I laugh every time I move the tool rest - looks like something out of a Barbie house!! Even took it (the lathe, not just the tool rest) with me when I went do do some catering this weekend for the pony club - just in case I had time - couldn't do that with the MC!

JD

Quote Originally Posted by Touchwood View Post

A question - do other Jet owners find the chrome hand wheel and the chrome area near the head drive get hot to the touch?

I've looked to see if I've got something wrong (did worry for a minute when I turned Jet on that he was so slow - then realised the belt was on slow speed, soon sorted that).
    JD
    Not mine. I would wonder if the belt is on correctly (ie. 4th pulley on top, 3rd pulley on bottom .. something like that) because something there is generating heat. The bearings should have been lubricated before the lathe gets to you, but is the lathe loud? The Jet should be very quiet.

I notice the mandrel can get warm when turning pens, but not the headstock..