Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Talking Im looking for a good used lathe that comes with everything that is a good price???

Hi if there is anybody that has a good used lathe that is in great condidtion and comes with everything, or if you know anybody that has one please tell me, it needs to be a reasonable price?? i am looking for a lathe so i can start making things at home, the things i make now are at school. Thanks a lot.

Brandon O'Connor

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Define "everything" and "good price".

what i mean by everything is that like it comes with whatever came with the lathe when u bougt it and if it comes with tools. what i mean by good price is that it would be reasonable not like 600 dollars for a used lathe.

Question

Brandon my young friend. I see yous is still at skool so maybe yous will know where Australia is in the world. This being the case you might find it would be hard for yous to buy a cheap 2nd hand lathe from this Bulletin Board because it is in Australia.

That's the big bit of dirt in the ocaen right down the bottom of the world near the cold bit. When I was was a boy crowing up in Chicargo, most people thort that Australia was either in Texas or shomewhere near Germany. A lot still do.

Maybe some of our wonderful American friends whom vizits this site might like to help yous wit your request. Either that or yous should maybe try and find an American site to ask your question on.

FOR BRANDON
    Born and raised in Chicago, in the good ol USA.
    I soon became a Wize Guy, in my God Fudder's pay.
    I became involved in crime, like all the wize guys wos,
    And to stop from bein caught, I wos sent out here to Oz.

I got in trubble here and was carted off to jail,
    But I didn't stay there long, cos God Daddy paid the bail.
    I got a lathe and made sum stuff, that I thort was OK
    So I started doin markets, and I found that they would pay.

I just got outa jail again, I'm sick of doing time.
    So it's back to turning on the lathe, becoz I am threw wif crime.
    Now get a lathe yourself my boy, and you will surely see.
    Your life will be worth so much more, than mine has been to me.

Knuckles.
    Don't mess with me! I know where yez live and I might just pay yez a visit. Capish? Then I'll hug ya an kiss ya an call ya Fred. Yep I sure will.

Knuckles if you could learn how to spell maybe i could read what you wrote but otherwise dont reply again, or you could learn how to use a keyboard and type. and if i knew a site that i could ask forums on that was in the usa i would use it but i dont.

There you go Knuckles..........that's what you get when you stomp on delicate little toes with your thumping great hob nailed boots.

i dont care who likes uncle dam* knuckles he shouldnt be so mean to other people who are just tryin to get some help.

Brandon,

Just ignore those knockers above

Try the rec.woodworking newsgroup

or perhaps the forums at www.spaltedboard.com

Brandon, my impetuous little friend, yous should be careful about picking on other peoples spelling, especially when yous seem to be pretty bad at it yourself. You could also do with a lesson in grammar, using punctuation, capitol letters and pride in your country. Always USA never usa.

you bought not - u bougt, condition not - condidtion I - not i, etc.

Yous would also do well not to upset someone who is trying to help yous by inviting our US friends to assist yous in your search.
    Maybe some of our wonderful American friends whom vizits this site might like to help yous wit your request.
    In Australia we have a weekly paper called The Trading Post, it is chock full of stuff for sale including pages on woodworking tools and mahinery. We also have a couple of monthly magazines that are devoted to selling secondhand machinery. Surely there are similar publications to these where yous live.

Yous could also try getting in touch wit your local chapter of AAW American Association of Woodturners[/b] if yous are nice to them, I am sure they will be only too willing to help.

Yous might like to try the following Bulletin Board:
    Woodturners Resource Bulletin Board or put an add on with Craft Supplies USA or you could go to this page http://artsandcrafts.about.com/cs/cr...et/index_2.htm and subscribe to rec.crafts.woodturning

I hope this is of some help, and if not then maybe it is yuos who should not bother replying. At least until you learn a little respect for your elders and what they can do for you.

I'm a Wise Guy not a spellar. Neither are you.

Knuckles
    Don't mess with me! I know where yez live and I might just pay yez a visit. Capish? Then I'll hug ya an kiss ya an call ya Fred. Yep I sure will.

Wink Second Hand Lathes

Sorry to be serious for a moment here but have you tried Ebay USA? There seems to be many pages with different quality units. What you buy will depend on what you want to do with it and how much you want to spend. For around US$1000 you should be able to get some serious weekend warrior lathes, but if it your first unit it may be worth while saving a few dollars and getting a beginners lathe until you feel comfortable or check to see if you enjoy it. I see from your previous posts that you are starting with pens so the size of the lathe isn't of the upmost importance. It is all good and well having a large swing over the bed but if you aren't going to turn large diameter blanks why bother. If you do a search on lathes in this forum you will get 101 pages on what to look for and what to avoid. Just remember that it is the first lathe so super quality may not be what you need at this stage ... you could always upgrade in a few years. There are posts on this board that are from people with AU$200 units that serve them well. The only thing that I would recommend is to make sure that you can get a chuck for the lathe.
    Have a look at some of the Ebay lathes and if you find one that strikes your fancy but you still aren't sure post a link and ask people what they think.

Ebay
    Ebay 2
    Ebay 3

You will also need a thick skin to put up with some of the replies on this board ... just remember that this is a one dimensional forum so when people are taking the it is most likely in good humor and it is up to you how you wish to take it.

PS: How is my spelling and punctuation?

Stinky

Dont forget to have a look at this one ... it is great for pen work!
    Pen Lathe
    Last edited by Sir Stinkalot; 7th May 2003 at 02:44 PM.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

... or for that matter going to bed so late on a school night.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Brandon,

Try the following sites
    http://www.woodworking.com/forums.cfm
    http://www.woodcentral.com/newforum/msgset.shtml

These are all US based.

Cheers,
    Wayne

* New Website - Updates Coming Soon *
    http://wayneswoodwork.davyfamily.com/

Thanks to everyone who has helped me you will all be greatly appreaciated. and when it comes to humor i do have some but not when im just minding my own bussiness and somebodys replys with a rude attitude that is where it stops for me. i have tried postings the same things i have worte here on forums in the USA and not a lot of people have responded. i have posted tons of other places as well. again i say thanks to everybody who has helped me.

p.s. knuckles im only 14 im not gonna beable to spell every word.