Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Installing Dishwasher

Ok, this kitchen installing is coming to end (pics to follow hopefully very soon) I've just picked up my dishwasher and need a little help with the install. When i had the plumber in he put on the cold water connection pipe for the dishwasher and the sparky put the plug in, so i just have to connect it all up. I have tried connecting the cold water hose to the metal thread but it doesnt fit, is there a part that goes in between that the plumber purposely didnt give me so he can charge me $90 call out to connect it up......

I can take some pics if needed just let me know...
    Why didn't i choose shopping as a hobby like every other female....

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Wasn't the dishwasher in your house when the plumber came ? .... cause thats a big error on his part, I'd say, if it was.

I'd probably be able to help you, but I'd need photos

say, of the tap thread ...uno, so we get an idea of size.....

And a photo of the hose......

See, even from places like mitre 10 you can get adaptors ( or whatever there called)......little brass numbers that change the thread diameters....just a couple of bucks, and a shifter probably all thats needed.

Is the hose too big for the tap fitting ?

yeh, a bit more info, and I might be able to help....'might' ....I'm not a plumber, but I've worked with a couple and I do my own plumbing.

Ive done a couple and they are pretty straight forward. The water inlet hose on the DW should just screw straight onto a tap type fitting, in a simialr way that a washing machine does. This should have a tap which lets you turn the water on and off to the DW. If it doesn't fit on, then I'd suggest the plumber has the wrong fitting on the end of the pipe. they are all supposed to be a generic fit.

the tricky part is the outlet. When you fit it to the plastic drian pipe via the extended tube, make sure you break the seal inside it first. The DW fitting tube has a plastic seal inside it which stops water coming out in the event that a DW is not fitted. Just stick a screw driver down there and see if it stops.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Don't forget including an inline water hammer suppressor on the supply line.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Ok, here are the pics, does it look like i am just missing something that screws onto the pipe and to make the inlet hose fit? then i just turn that green handle to let the water thru .And then i need to pierce that lil plastic pipe and shove the drainage tube on
    Dont you love my techinal language

Go to your local plumbing supply and ask them for a 3/4" to 1/2" reducing nipple which will screw straight into the tap (which is a 1/2" ball valve) and allow you to screw the hose on
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

inline water hammer suppressor
    Could you please tell me what that is and what it does

Dishwashers, and washing machines have solenoid valves that stop the flow of water very suddenly. This can send a shock wave up the pipe that can reverberate back and forth (you've heard pipes rattling or knocking before no doubt, when you turn off a tap too fast, or open a tap slowly, and the washer bounces). These shock waves are annoying best, and can build to pipe -breaking force at worst. The shock waves are called a water hammer.

A suppressor can work in a number of different ways - a shock absorber with a spring to absorb the waves, or a chamber that looks like a CO2 cartridge for an air rifle, that allows the wave to dissipate, etc etc.

They are sold in plumbing shops, not sure about Bunnings (no doubt), saw some in Mitre 10 Mega earlier today. One end screws into your pipe where you are fitting your hose, and the hose screws into the other end.

BTW - don't forget to wrap a bit of teflon tape around the threads of all your joints - helps prevent leaks. They are sold in hardware shops for about 50c a roll. You are probably already doing this- from the pics, there appears to be some on the RHS of the ball valve.
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

What DJ said. You need this bit (see pic)

You have 2 female ends and everybody knows you need a male to make anything work
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Ok, so can i pick up one of these suppressors where i get the boys bit from, and how do i fix it?

Thank for your help guys

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart. View Post
    One end screws into your pipe where you are fitting your hose, and the hose screws into the other end. Bunnings / Mitre 10 etc

"Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

blurry photo of one!
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

i meant the supressor, i figured the reducing nipple just screwed on...

a suppressor normally screws in the same way as the nipple would. The only prob is that you might not have enough room to do a full turn because of the pipe behind the tap
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Quote Originally Posted by RenoGirl82 View Post
    i meant the supressor, i figured the reducing nipple just screwed on...
    The suppressor screws on.....see posts 8 and 11 (and the photo in post 12)
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast