Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bolger Bobcat

Default Bolger Bobcat

G'day all,

I've been lurking around this site for a few weeks now and thought it was time to say hi. Lot's of good info and tips being offered for which I am most gratefull. Have built a couple of boats in the past, the latest being a Welsford "Janette" a couple of years back. Bought the plans thru Ross Lillistone at Bayside Wooden Boats and Ross was most helpfull with supplying all my requirements and giving advice when requested.

After looking around for a new project I settled on Bolger' Bobcat. Ordered the plans before Xmas and recieved them within 2 weeks. Went out and bought a stack of marine ply and started marking out and cutting.

The frames are from 12 mm ply with the rest being 6 mm

For any one interested here a couple of pics of my progress to date

1 Most parts cut out and ready for assembly

2 Frames with sides and bottom fitted

3 Bilge panels fitted ready for fairing and taping the seams
    Last edited by Deefa; 20th January 2007 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Still learning to add pics
    Cheers
    Dave

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

G'day Deefa, welcome aboard.

That is one tidy shed, not as bad a Major Panic's but a close 2nd.

There are a few boaties in your area, you should look them up.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Hey Deefa,

The Bolger Catboat is a ripper. I've seen a few built and have sailed a couple of them too.

A hoot of a boat.

If you have a look at the lists of threads on this forum you'll see that ones where someone builds a boat over a period and keeps the thread updated attracts heaps of people.

Would be damn fine to see a catboat go together here too!

MIK

Thanks Cliff but the shed had to be cleared of M/cycles and a camper trailer to start this project. The air comperessor helps get the dust and shavings outside once a day much to the dismay of the nieghbours.

Yes Mick looking forward to eventually getting the Bobcat on the water, was tossing up between the Goat Ils Skiff and Ross Lillistones Phoenix lll for a while but have always fancied the catboats and was taken by the lines of the little Bobcat after viewing a few articles online.

Should have the seams taped and turned over by the end of the week, I'm still trying to decide on timber for the mast as I want it to be as light as possible seeing as it's a fairly hefty stick to raise and fit into the deck. Don't think I can manage a "birdsmouth" assembly but it will be hollow and built as per Bolger's plan.
    Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers View Post
    That is one tidy shed
    Wow! I won't let my missus see those pictures. She'll say "See!"
    Cheers,

J

Data isn't Information, Information isn't Knowledge, and Knowledge isn't Wisdom!

Default Turned over

Evening All

Well I got her turned over yesterday after taping the external seams, the results could have been better as the tape kept lifting in places forming air pockets. I think it is the tape as it was very tightly wound on the roll and when unrolled does not lay flat but has a wavey surface in the same pattern that I ended up with along the seams. Just means a lot more sanding and filling now before the final layer of glass on the outside.

Have started filling the internal seams prior to taping them but will purchase some new f/g tape before attempting that job.

The centre-board case will be fitted next.

Cleaned the shed out prior to these pics just for you Onthebeachalone..
    Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Deefa View Post
    the tape kept lifting in places forming air pockets.
    I've struggled with this before. It's one of the reasons I've always hated using epoxy. I got a more experienced mate to give me a hand with taping Curlew. Well, the scales fell from my eyes... and now, I SEE!

The trick he showed me was to coat the wood with epoxy first, as expected, but not too liberally. Lay the tape where required, then dab the tape quite firmly with the end of a fairly dry brush. Dabbing, dabbing, dabbing... all along the tape. This seems to push the tape down thru the epoxy and force any bubbles, and surplus epoxy, up through the weave.

As you go along you can see the tape being bonded to the wood with a very thin layer of epoxy. What I had not understood is that straight brushing, and/or applying more epoxy encourages the tape to "float" on a layer of epoxy that is actually seperating the tape from the wood. (I think!). It just gets worse.

Once you can see that the tape is "bonded" you can add more epoxy over the top and it just fills out the weave. The tape stays stuck.

Hope this helps.
    Cheers,

J

Data isn't Information, Information isn't Knowledge, and Knowledge isn't Wisdom!

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Could you blokes please try to share these secrets BEFORE I need to do it? Sheesh. It's no wonder I use so much epoxy.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by onthebeachalone View Post
    The trick he showed me was to coat the wood with epoxy first, as expected, but not too liberally. Lay the tape where required, then dab the tape quite firmly with the end of a fairly dry brush. Dabbing, dabbing, dabbing... all along the tape. This seems to push the tape down thru the epoxy and force any bubbles, and surplus epoxy, up through the weave.

As you go along you can see the tape being bonded to the wood with a very thin layer of epoxy. What I had not understood is that straight brushing, and/or applying more epoxy encourages the tape to "float" on a layer of epoxy that is actually seperating the tape from the wood. (I think!). It just gets worse.

Once you can see that the tape is "bonded" you can add more epoxy over the top and it just fills out the weave. The tape stays stuck.
    Here are some pics of the process https://www.woodworkforums.com/showpo...7&postcount=17

"Dabbing" can be very tedious, so use a "dry" roller instead!

Cheers,

P

Thanks for the advice guys

I did buy some new tape today and did some of the inside seams....no problems this time. I have used f/g tape on the seams of previous boats and not had this problem.

Here's a pic of the two different tapes I have used. The one on the left rolls out flat and is fine. The one on the right rolls out with the wavey pattern and thats the same pattern that appears after the resin has been applied. I tried dapping, rolling, squeegee and should have just bit the bullet and pulled it off before it set up. Maybe a someone with more practice at laying f/g tape may have been ok but it didn't work for me. The "problem" tape does seem to be a slightly heavier grade than the other but not by much.
    Cheers
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by onthebeachalone View Post

Hope this helps.
    Good Summary! Just a clarification - you have to wait for the first coat to go a bit tacky so it starts holding the glass down a bit before continuing with the follow up coats. The each successive coat is added as the previous one goes tacky.

I have a section on my FAQ about just this and some pics of me doing the PDRs - though in that case I was coating the whole bottom at the same time.

http://www.storerboatplans.com/Faq/faqindex.html

MIK

Have made a bit more progress on Bobcat this week.

1. Inside seams are taped (no further problems) and the temorary frame sections removed.

2. Dry fitting the yet to be glued centre-board case

3. Centreboard glassed and ready for finishing

4. Glueing up the centre-board case

5. Pre bending deck carlins prior to fitting

Still haven't started the spars but will have to think about it soon.

Actual time spent on the project to date is in excess of 120 hrs not counting running around chasing stuff.
    Cheers
    Dave

Default Update

Hi All

Just a short progress report on Bobcat.

Have fitted the centreboard case, deck beams, carlins and floor cleats. It is now time to turn her over again and f/glass the outer hull, then fit the skeg and shoe (gives added support to the mast which rests on the bottom of the hull behind the first frame).

May take a while if I decide to fair the hull before turning back over to fit the deck, we'll see
    Cheers
    Dave

Default Bobact Update

Hi all,

Been busy glassing, sanding, glassing, sanding etc............

Now have the hull fully glassed externally with 4 coats of resin. Still a few areas where the weave shows through but have decided to finish the decking etc before another good sanding and hopefully applying one last coat of resin to the outside.
    I tried Mik's wet on wet for the bottom and whilst it went on ok I ended up with a fairly waivy finish so lots of sanding to get that flat. Decided to go one coat at a time for the sides until I know what I'm doing

Anyway here's a couple of pics taken out in the sun before I start on the gunwales, painting the inside, decking etc.

First pic makes it look a lot longer than 12'3"

Second pic shows the skeg and transom.
    Cheers
    Dave

She's looking great Dave!

Do you have a launch date in mind?
    Cheers,

J

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast