Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Question plans for a ladder

Hi all,

having just been scared by finding out the cost of an aluminum ladder, I have decided to build one instead. The plan for a ladder should be very simple, but I was wondering if anyone had come across a plan for one on the internet. All I can find are plans for furniture and toys.

Thanks

Ivor

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ivor,

Norm on 'New Yankee Workshop' made a ladder and has the plans available for $10 US (+ postage I think).

Check out
    http://www.newyankee.com/getproduct3.cgi?9804

It's a lot of work (I saw the show) and, if it were me, I'd be saving my penny's and just buy a alum. one. Have you checked out second hand ones in the Trading Post, etc.
    Wayne

* New Website - Updates Coming Soon *
    http://wayneswoodwork.davyfamily.com/

Thanks Wayne,

I was thinking of a ladder as a couple of posts (maybe 3" x 2") held togther with a series of thick dowel. I thought it would be easy, but I was never very good at design. I wanted one about 4-5 metres long.

I'll go and look at the site you were talking about.

About the trading post, I live pretty much in the middle of nowhere and the cost of the petrol to go and find a ladder would probably be more than the ladder itself.

Ivor

Ivor,

4-5 metre Wood ladder is bloody big. Buy an Alum. one!

If you make on, make it real strong and just be careful using it. Falling of a ladder is not fun especially if it breaks giving sharp bits to fall on let alone the ground.

I'm sure Eastie will pipe in here in a tick unless he is away.
    Wayne

* New Website - Updates Coming Soon *
    http://wayneswoodwork.davyfamily.com/

Exclamation

Ivor, I see no problem with you making one in conformance with Australian Standard AS 1892.2 Portable Ladders - Timber.

I see from you info you are a biologist. As such you should have no problem determining the exact density of the timbers you select, nor the megapascal rating for each component.

However some of the following steps in making a safe timber ladder are more aligned to the engineers and mathematicians, especially at the heights your taking of. Quite complex quadratic equations, not forgetting there are also a couple of hydraulic equations that are required in relation to shear stresses, etc.

I’m sure most of us have or have had an old timber ladders that was handed down to us through the generations. Mine, like most others I expect, was a bit shonky so I cut it up for kindling.

If you do decide to make one, upon completion just be sure to christen it with inscribing the words “till death do us part” on one of the rails.

I give you odds on that the ladder fails or slips and you fall off.

Thanks Eastie,

Kinda looks like alum is the way to go. I'll just have to adjust the priority list for purchases, again.

Cheers

Ivor

Thumbs up

If you were to add up the cost of building one to say five metres you would be surprised. You'd pretty much need to stick to douglas fir (US) for the stiles and find pieces in that length without any, and I mean any deformation, rot, sapwood, knots or other structural damage. Then you'd have to stuff around channelling out the rails to install reinforced plastic and epoxy to give it the required rigidity. Add it all up and you could probably buy yourself an industrial rated reinforced fibreglass extension ladder with pivoting feet.

Best wishes,
    Eastie