Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where to get this boat built.

I know this is a do it yourself site,but I don't know were to go to find a boat builder in NSW.

You guys seem to know what you are talking about,so I am asking you do you know of anyone who can build me this boat.

Now the hard part.

The boat is an SURF SCOTER, it was on a site in America they tell me I can buy the plans to it.

So here is the the problem I can't build it? who can.?

T did try to send a photo of it hope it works if not i will try again.

John H
    Last edited by JSH53; 5th February 2007 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Attachment not there

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Gidday John
    I guess I will have to ask the big question... why cant you build it yourself?

As Arch's site states its a desing for the home builder

the 22 footer

From all Ive seen and heard Arch Devlins plans leave nothing to chance and are as detailed as any and more than some

Which are you going for the 22 or the 25fter?

25footer

Honestly mate Im curious why you wouldnt have a go at building it yourself... none of my business of course but still

Ive liked the 22fter for some time now... but just cant seem to break free from the sail fetish

Big chunck of boat the 25 isnt it!

Cheers!

PS.. I actually like godzilla more
    Believe me there IS life beyond marriage!!! Relax breathe and smile learn to laugh again from the heart so it reaches the eyes!!

Oh comon, give the guy a break, there are a number of very good reasons a person may not be able to build his own boat.
    I would start ringing up some of this people.
    Good luck, I do like your trawler, but I like the Jolly Roger more hehe.

http://www.sunmarineservices.com.au/...hipwrights.cfm
    “We often contradict an opinion for no other reason
    than that we do not like the tone in which it is expressed.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

There are a few people round offering small boat building services, you'd certainly have to be quite careful if you were to subcontract to a one-man band, and it could well prove to be a false economy.

Why not contact Ted at Duck flat wooden boats in SA, they build boats of that size all the time, and understand the costs involved.

Don't hire anyone unless you can speak to a couple of happy customers, and DON'T make your decision based on an advertisement or magazine article!

Cheers,

P

Default My Boat

Thanks to eveyone who responed,the only reason i don't built it my self is i will be carry my family on it and as i can't hammer a nail in straight i would hate to see how it would come out.

This boat came about due to the love of classic boats and the water and i am only feeling my way into it,i could just see myself in that boat or am i just dreaming.

I was even thinking of buying an old restored half cabin but don't know where to look,i was just surfing the net when that one came up and i said that for me,the 22footer is the one i like the most.

Dreamer john

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

Quote Originally Posted by JSH53 View Post
    Thanks to eveyone who responed,the only reason i don't built it my self is i will be carry my family on it and as i can't hammer a nail in straight i would hate to see how it would come out.
    But you'd trust the work of someone else who can't drive a nail in straight?

Boats ain't that hard to build mate, but yeah, this is a biggish project for a novice.

Richard

I think that the major consideration for giving the project to do to a professional is simply time and money.

From the little I have gathered so far, the difference between do it yourself and get it done is abysmal.
    I have been quoted (informally) from 1000% and up to 2500% the cost of my own estimate of do it yourself for a 30" displacement hull. Of course I can be wrong by say 50%? 100%? ...still plenty of margin. ( yes, ten times up to 25 times my estimate, buys a few bottles of champagne)

Major limitations I see for do it yourself is time and the looming chance of getting discouraged.
    Cost of the project I would think that I want to cap the cost, up to the value of the finished product in the market.
    If that is not possible, it would be just as good to go and find something ready made....or do it yourself.
    I wonder the cost of shipping a trawler like that from the states? (I bought a 4WD with 40,000Km on e-bay in Japan. Some difficulties but saved about 15k)

Friedrich Nietzsche

Marc,

There are usually very good reasons for the variation in price, and they usually hinge around who has quoted correctly. The highest price is ALWAYS closest to what it will cost you.

I've never seen a boat finish within 2500% of it's owner's estimate!

The reason I suggested Duck Flat is that from what I've seen, those guys seem to have a good feel for the balance between "perfect" and "affordable". Many think that affordable means cutting corners, or that perfect is a licence to work at an hourly rate till retirement.

Cheers,

P

I've never seen a boat finish within 2500% of it's owner's estimate!
    Ha ha, you are probably right !

Friedrich Nietzsche

South Oz, the big smokey bit in the middle

If you pay a professional, he will want to finish the job to get it out of his workshop and will want you to pay him promptly - that's why the apprentice turns up baseball bats in his spare time You will hit the water earlier ... but you'll be very good friends with your credit card (if not the bank).

If you build the thing yourself, you progress at YOUR pace and you don't have to find the money until it's needed. If you can't afford yet another pot of glue this week, the project can wait until your next pay. Sure, this stretches things out but it does mean that while you may spend far more than you expected (what's this 'may' word ), you can control the rate at which the money flows out of your pocket. There is no way I can afford to build boats, but by 'finding' the money, they get built ... eventually.

Richard

then there is the 'midge' theory of Eureka canoes

Quote Originally Posted by Daddles View Post
    then there is the 'midge' theory of Eureka canoes
    Just you wait.

Once I have the dust collection hooked up.....

Cheers,

P

One good compromise can be to get the hull built and then take over the rest.

There is more work in the interior than people expect and it is the area where it is usually harder to get into strife.

I would get some quotes from round the place.

Have you spoken to James Frescheville on the Gippsland Lakes, Ian Smith in Sydney to either quote or see who they suggest.

I know those guys and know their work - but it won't be cheap if that is what you are expecting.

Often these days you are likely to see an estimate and progressive payments through the job too.

It is pretty hard to quote even if you have built something similar before - and I think you would be searching far and wide to find someone who has built some Devlins before.

(by the way I think they are really good boats - just not that popular in Australia)

Is the boat close to or under 8ft in width - then it might be possible to get Devlin to build one and bring it over here in a container. If anyone knows how to put them together efficiently he probably does.

After all it is "Devlin Designing Boatbuilders"

Michael

Default Thanks

Thanks for all that info i will put it to some good use.

john

I know some excellent 'trade qualified' boatbuilders in Sydney who could build that boat. Highly experienced in timber construction.
    If you'd like to p.m or email I can give you some details.

Also try contacting Ship and Boatbuilding Association of NSW. They are part of the B.I.A. ( Boating Industry Association)

Cheers

Hi All,

I've been out of touch for a couple of days but thought of this ...

One important thing is to find someone who understands and appreciates the building method as it is.

It is a sortof stitch and glue method with a very simple internal structure - mostly ply with relatively little real wood.

Someone who is not sympathetic to the way Devlin designs boats will be tempted to add structure - which will add cost. And they will swear blind that they are doing the right thing and the boat NEEDS the extra bits.

But Devlin knows what he is doing very well.

So find someone who looks at the plans and doesn't want to change much. That goes for the owner too if he wants the boat built for something like the estimate )

MIK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast