Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Aluminium windows

Has anyone had any experience with making their own aluminium windows ?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I was going to build a house load of windows and doors at my sisters house, using a Capral commercial system, and I'd ordered all the materials, but then I got crook (bad back) and my brother did the job whilst I was off.
    It's easy to do with a fine toothed drop saw and a drill, and it ended up cheaper than any quote we'd had. I was considering building my bifold doors out of aluminium, but timber was a bit cheaper, and looks better for mine.

I used to make them up from kits when I worked for a glazier. What do you want to know?

I've been making timber casement windows and door frames for the house we're building. But havn't had any experience with aluminium. Not sure really where to start. I've talked to aluminium suppliers around here and got the "you need special equipment" response. I've drawn up the dimensions, just not sure who to approach for the channel - or even which channel I require. All help gratefully received.

Window manufacturers all have their own extrusions. Typically, you would need a minimum of 5 or 6 different types to make a slider for example: top and bottom rails, stiles for the frame, that's 3. Then depending on the design, either 2, 3 or 4 different extrusions for the slider.

All this stuff is available in lengths which you dock to size. You need to notch out stiles (usually) to fit the rails. Slider frames are sometimes mitred, or sometimes notched. Notching can be done with a hacksaw/drop saw and a file. It's tedious and you need to be precise or you'll have gaps.

Then there's the various bits of hardware that have to be fitted: weather seals, friction buttons and wheels on the slider etc.

Not a trivial task, so if you're keen to do it, I'd be looking to see if there is a supplier who will give you everything you need, including cutting lists for each size and instructions. Maybe check out the mob Pawnhead mentions.

If you want to make fixed, then you could just use a commercial shop front system, which is a lot simpler.

For fixed windows, the stuff I'm talking about is called "centre glazed framing". See: http://www.capral.com.au/capral/_pro...tail.jsp?id=47

Silent C is on the money. There's a lot more to it than just cut and assemble, but it's not that hard to do when you've read all the information, and you're on a roll. The lengths you'll need usually only come in 6.5 metres, but if you can find a local assembler then you might be able to buy shorter lengths from him at a premium.
    There is a specifier/estimator CD that you can get here if you convince them that you're an architect, builder, or work in QS, But what I did is just rang them and asked for the CD. They said they were out of stock and they'd have more shortly, so I said that's not good enough. I've got a contract and I want to build these things now. They emailed me about fifty pages worth of detailed drawings and specs on their systems and I printed out the relevant documents to what I was fabricating. You can easily see how they go together by looking at these drawings.

They didn't ask if I was a builder, just jump up and down until they give you what you want.

edit: -
    Quote Originally Posted by Bemboka View Post
    I've talked to aluminium suppliers around here and got the "you need special equipment" response. I've drawn up the dimensions, just not sure who to approach for the channel - or even which channel I require. All help gratefully received.
    You don't need any special equipment. Just a drop saw a drill, a hack saw, screwdrivers and spanners.

It looks like I've lost all the specifications, but I've found the order list which will give you an idea of the components involved in five commercial awning windows ( A lot larger, and better looking sections than flimsy domestic aluminium windows), two large fixed panes, and two glazed doors: -

Please supply prices for the following.
    Capral Narrowline series 300 frame, series 35 inset awning sashes, series 275 doors.
    Anodised in selected colour, T.B.A.
    Part Description Lengths @ 6.5m Price Total
    EP5115 Sash rail 7
    EL6337 Glazing bead 7
    EU4760 Sash stop bar 7
    EP2206 Frame, jamb 9
    EP2205 Transom 2
    EU9182 Transom bead 2+
    EP2207 Infill 4
    EP1481 Hinge style 1
    EP5703 Lock style 1
    EN7610 Bottom rail 1