Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Yellow stain from CA glue

Hi, A few months ago I did the rosette on my first steel string top and used CA glue to glue it in. The CA glue bleed into the surrounding wood on a few places. I have since read that it is a good idea to seal the wood before hand. Live and learn. But over time the stain is turning yellow and has become quite noticeable.

Has anyone heard of any methods of removing or neutralising a CA glue stain? It is a Sitka spruce top with plastic BWBWB purling for the rosette and the glue was normal thin super glue which explains the bleeding.

By way of an intro. I’ve been reading this web site for the past 6 months or so and have been busy setting up my new workshop and getting things together. I have built 2 electric guitars ( a flying v and an explorer) and am ½ way through my first steel string. Will post some pics when I have something worthy to show.
    Cheers and thanks for your combined wisdom on this site.
    Dom

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Gday Dom,
    Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question on the CA problem, but I noticed my spruce top yellowed a bit when I dropped a bit of water on it. It was surface colour, so easily sanded out.
    About posting some pics of your guitars... I recon if you've built them and you're proud of them, then they're worthy enough!
    Give us all a look-see

Maybe sand and stain the whole top, lot of work but ? if its bled in over time its probably right through the wood.

OK, here they are. Bit of hardware missing but you get the idea. The V is a laminated through neck with mahogany wings. I got the neck blank and wings from Ormsby. It has ebony fret borad and head plate with simple inlay. I have EMG active pickups for it. The black stripes are inlayed ebony with plastic purfling on each side. They cover up a slip with the router doing the front pickup cavity. I learned to use more clamps and it looks pretty good I think.
    The Ex is a laminated maple bolt on neck on a Alder body. The neck has black veneers between the maple and looks good if a little over the top. I am experimenting. It has bolt inserts under the finger board and not screws. Haven't got pics of the details yet.
    I have not got a sprayer yet so they are both finished with Danish oil. The necks feel silky but the bodys are not fragile compared to my lacquered guitar.
    Cheers
    Dom

Looks good Dom
    I like the neck on the V, looks like a very smooth join, but is the explorer a wider neck than usual, or is it just a photo illusion?

Thanks Malibu,
    I think you can see a bit of the stand behind the neck. It is a normal 42mm nut and tune o matic bridge. Here is another pic of the ex neck showing the stripes. It is unfinished here. The Danish oil makes the maple go a lovely burnt yellow colour on the darker grain. Nice.
    I have done a bit more work on my steel string so will post some pics of that soon.
    Dom