Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Goodbye Nero

He has been taught from a puppy absolutely NO biting, even in play.

but a dog that is aggressive to its owner (let alone others) can't be tolerated.
    That is why the decision to put him down was made, by both of us.

We spent ages talking about it, it hurt us both deeply.

The last dog that I had was my fathers, 13 year old heeler, just generally snappy sometimes, it was his nature. He was pretty crook, we got him checked out , and he was suffering liver failure. He did snap at my mother whilst very sick (a person that he didnt tolerate at all) when she was teasing him, and he snapped at her, but spat her back out.

Nero on the other hand, (I have been thinking on this for the last 12 hours) has always been a gentle sweetie. I dont know how he did it, but he came in one night with a big gash on his back leg. He let us look at it, I had to cut off a flap of skin, and let up apply antiseptic to the wound with only a whine, he trusted us to do the right thing, even though he was in pain.

I have been thinking, (and thinking, and thinking) about all this, he has had a general change in attitude over the past month, two, or three actually.
    It has been gradual buildup of attitude change.
    He is healthy, shiny, and full of energy, but he has seemed to turn slightly indifferent/ unfriendly towards us, and started to have a generally 'bad attitude'. I can't pin it down to any particular event or reason, (and I have been trying)

My partner said that Nero actually bit him, then shook his head as he was biting, and held on, he really had a serious go at my partner.

I checked him over really well last night, rubbed my hands all over him, checked his teeth, ears, paws etc etc. Nothing I did made him react, so I dont believe that there is a pain/ infection issue. If he was in pain bad enough to lash out at my partner so badly, he should have bit me when I checked him out a couple of hours later.

I am not sure if it is a dominance issue, or a 'don't come near me, I dont want to know you' issue, but the fact that he acted so savagely to a 'come here", not behaving, take him outside by the collar situation, is what had me so concerned.

Nero wasnt cornered, or put in a threatening situation, It was just an ordinary normal act that nero totally overracted to.

The fact that he just 'went' like that was totally unacceptable, (obviously to my partner) and me.

It was a very hard and harsh decision to make, but the alternatives;
    Take him to the pound, a family with kids adopts him
    We keep him, cant trust him, are nervous around him, he will pick up on the bad vibes, and get worse, nervous, more aggressive?

I do not regard pets as disposable when inconvientent, but when it comes down to the fact that you cant trust them not to damage someone, possibly a kid??

We just came back from the vet.

R.I.P. puppy-dog
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
    for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    ....................... .......................

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Sorry to hear that you had to put him down, but in the long run I would say that you have made the right decision
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

I hope so.

Quote Originally Posted by tameriska View Post
    I hope so.
    Unfortunately you'll never know.

But you did what you thought was the right thing for the right reasons. That's all you can do.

Sorry to hear the news. I had to give away my dog when I moved here. City life was not for him (blue heeler/kelpie), He would've have to been on a chain at home all the time and I knew that wouldn't be fair on him. I was fortunate to know the animal comtrol officer and he took Rhet and passed him on to a family on a property.

I know this is not the same as your incident, but the decision to give him away was hell on me. I had Rhet for 4 years and he came to work with me everyday of those 4 years, so it felt like I'd lost my closest companion.
    Have a nice day - Cheers

As hard as it has been, IMO you have done the right thing
    A very tough decision
    100% of all non-smokers die

As hard as it was, it was absolutely the right decision. There was something obviously wrong with Nero to attack without provocation. It would just be a matter of time before it happened again.

This doesn't make it any easier.

My thoughts are with you.

Chris
    Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    Unfortunately you'll never know.

But you did what you thought was the right thing for the right reasons. That's all you can do.
    Agreed.

I know it's no comfort for you, but on the off-chance this was the problem, things could have only got worse, as you'll see from the following:
    Ian Smith, thankyou for posting that. I just showed that to my partner, and he agreed that a fair bit of what you said, he spent a lot more time with Nero when I am at work.

As hard as it was, it was absolutely the right decision. There was something obviously wrong with Nero to attach without provication. It would just be a matter of time before it happened again.

This doesn't make it any easier.
    Thankyou for all your support and understanding.

Mate,
    I had to do the same thing to 'my little girl' abut 2 years ago.

A bloody hard decision, but we could not take the risk of re-housing her and having her savage someone else.

I've got a 6" scar running around one eye from where she bit me.... 1/5 a second and a dog can do serious damage, let alone when they hang on and give it a real good go.

My dog, Angie, was never mistreated... was taken to obedience school for the basics, was verbally disciplined and not hit, loved to lie beside you and get her stomache rubbed, a real lovely dog. We did all the right things.... and could not trust her.

My commiserations go out to you, and at least you know your dog won't tear up some small child.
    Bloody tough, and it breaks your heart.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12