Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodbye Nero

Default Goodbye Nero

I have to get my dog put down tomorrow.

I got a call at work this afternoon to go home and take my partner to the hospital. I didnt know what was going on, I immediately thought that it was something totally serious. (the last time that I HAD to take somebody to the hospital, they died out there)

Our dog had bitten my partners hand as my partner went to get him by the collar. I am not talking a reactive snap, (that might have been forgivable in some circumstances) I am talking grab, shake, rend.
    Nero is a border collie cross that we were given off a farm after replying to an advert.
    We have both raised Nero from a puppy, and we have had him for the past 15 months. We watched him grow up, trained him etc etc. We made sure that he accepted commands from both of us, and knew what limits were set.

I read up all I could find on dog training that I could find on the net, and bought a couple of books on training, because he was going to be brought up right.
    He had a bit of trouble learning to play fetch, working out that he was supposed to bring the ball back. He didnt seem to get the concept.
    I decided that a demonstration might help him.
    So I had the bright idea of (finally) convincing my partner to throw the ball for me, I ran to go get it, brought the ball back (in my hand I might add), to my partner and getting a pat on the heat, told I was a "good girl' abd getting a treat (a human lolly, Ok.)
    We left Nero to think that over for a day, and he actually played Fetch the next day!!! It worked! (I just hope the neighbours wern't watching )

He has been a little bit sulky the last week or so, but nothing over the top. There has been nothing really to suggest that he would do this.

I hate to get him put down, but there is absolutely NO way that we would take him to the pound, or in any way to take the risk of him doing this to anyone else.

After this, we cant trust him, and he would sense it, there is no other option than getting him put down, but it is totally going to kill me when we take him in. He was "out first baby"

There is nothing else that I can do, he will be dead tomorrow.

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
    for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    ....................... .......................

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Some things in life are hard, letting a mate go is one of them.

Yes Tameriska it is hard to come to terms with losing a mate that you have watched grow.

I had a Border Collie do the same thing to me. I have a, then three year old, son and aside from the possibility that she could bite me again I would never have forgiven myself if she had bitten my boy.

Hard as it is sometimes the hard road is the only road.

My thoughts are with you.

Pete
    If you are never in over your head how do you know how tall you are?

Thankyou Doughboy.
    I really, really dont want to, but there is really no other choice that I think we could live with. If anything happened to anyone else.............

I am really sorry Tameriska. My thoughts will be with Nero, your partner and you today and tomorrow.

I hope today goes ok for you all .

Will be thinking of you both.

Wendy

Tameriska,
    Very sorry to hear your news.

As my avatar indicates, we have two BC's, and at the time of getting Nell, the one on the right, we were aware of a problem that seemed to be surfacing in the BC breed. It's called 'ceroid lipofuscin' or CL for short.
    The symptons are below, and your desription of Nero's behaviour just bought it to mind.
    I thought it been all but bred out of the breed but this would only be the case where registered breeders are involved.

I know it's no comfort for you, but on the off-chance this was the problem, things could have only got worse, as you'll see from the following:

Affected animals appear normal until aged approximately 18 months. However, from the embryonic stage, there is a metabolic defect which allows a waste product 'ceroid lipofuscin' to accumulate in body cells.
    The brain cells have very little room for waste products and symptoms emerge when an accumulation of waste begins to compress and destroy healthy brain cells. As a result, by 18 months of age some or all of the following signs may be noted:
    Unreasonable apprehension or fear of familiar objects/surroundings, sight
    disturbance.
    Abnormal gait - is unsteady on feet, has difficulty with jumping or climbing or
    placing feet, tends to prop or goose-step.
    Demented behaviour, mania, hyperactivity, rage.
    The disease progresses rapidly once the initial signs appear and the distressed animals have not been kept past the age of 2 1/2 years.

Unfortunately there is no treatment for an affected animal.
    To date there is no test available to identify which dogs have inherited the disease or are carriers of the defective gene. Suspected cases can be confirmed by brain biopsy. A post mortem examination will give an accurate diagnosis.

Ian

wow, thats an intense decision to make......good luck to everyone. Nero included.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

We were told that he is a border collie kelpie cross, although I would say that he is a farm mix.

Yes Matrix, a very hard and harsh decision to make, but the alternatives;
    Take him to the pound, a family with kids adopts him
    We keep him, cant trust him, are nervous around him, he will pick up on the bad vibes, and get worse, nervous, more aggressive?

I havn't slept yet, havn't been able to, thinking about any other options.
    Have realised although, for the first 10, 12 months, he was beautiful friendly passive dog. Thinking back, and talking to my partner, there has been a gradual change in his attitude in the last couple of months for the worse, less friendly, more liable to snap, and tending to ignore us.
    We cant think of anything to cause this, and he went waayy too far yesterday.

We had brought him up and taught him that biting, in play or anything, was absolutely not acceptable, so this was definately far past the line.

mmmm....if this is the first real sign of aggression, and you also say he might have been a bit off colour the last week, the first thing I would do is take him to the vet, get an opinion, and maybe keep a very close eye on him. In my opinion only, if this is the first, and he has been a friendly, nice dog until the recent decline in his behaviour, I would be getting a bit more professional help before I give him the needle. In the meantime, maybe try and never have one person alone with him???

But I understand a bite is a bite and you need to do what YOU think is right though. I'm sure its not an easy decision.

I agree with abitfishy, a recent change in behaviour can indicate something medical that is making him aggressive. The vet should give him a really thorough check before putting him down.

Best of luck for you both.

I agree with abitfishy and groggy. My dog has had 2 occasions when he has had problems with his teeth and both times he became snappy with me, which is how I knew something was wrong. Hopefully you have a vet who you trust, and even if you have to have Nero put down you may be able to live with the decision a little easier.

As said in Ians post BC's have this occur occasionally. No treatment and not something they grow out of.

My family has grown up with working dogs and on the whole BC's are a loving, loyal, beautiful and very very smart breed of dog but they are suseptible to this condition and it is very sad.

remember your dog for the loving pup that he was. Playful and loyal. This condition is not the dogs fault but it is the kindest thing that you can do.

Still very sad news though.

Pete
    If you are never in over your head how do you know how tall you are?

This will probably get the hackles going on some folks, but have you tried calling up Hugh Wirth on the ABC on a Saturday morning, or even emailing him to see whats going on? Also couldn't hurt to try contacting Dr Harry? Both have an amazing wealth of experience which cannot be taught or bought.

I have seen some weird dog behaviour fixed quite easily (and sensibly actually). Just a thought.
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Albert Einstein

Tameriska,
    Good idea to speak to your vet first. However if this is not an isolated event then I salute you for having the courage to do what must be done.

I love dogs and just put down my rhodesian ridgeback last week (old age related illness) but a dog that is aggressive to its owner (let alone others) can't be tolerated.

That doesn't make it any easier - my best wishes to you both.

Cheers,
    Glenn
    <>
    Hi, my name is Glenn and I'm a tool-o-holic, it's been 32 minutes since I last bought a tool......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast