Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Help me find an end rounding machine

I need help in finding a machine or tool to round the ends of 1-1.2m lengths of square timber. The timber is cut to length, edge rounded using a spindle moulder and 35mm wide and 40mm high.

I currently round both ends using a very labour and time intensive method of using a planner to get a rough shape and then a series of disc, belt, orbital and hand sanding to get a nice round polished end. I need help in finding the right machinery or tool to do the job? I use the finished timber to make Aussie made hammocks see www.chairintheair.com for examples.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Just to clarify exactly what you are asking for, I have nicked a picture of your website.....(damn comfy looking hammocks, BTW. I almost fell asleep looking at them, I was that relaxed!)

Can we assume that you use a spindle moulder to round the edges along the length of this timber, but you are looking for a machine to make the end of the timber rounded?
    Retired member

Quote Originally Posted by Felder View Post
    Just to clarify exactly what you are asking for, I have nicked a picture of your website.....(damn comfy looking hammocks, BTW. I almost fell asleep looking at them, I was that relaxed!)

Can we assume that you use a spindle moulder to round the edges along the length of this timber, but you are looking for a machine to make the end of the timber rounded?
    Yes thats correct I just need to round the ends, after which I will drill the hole as normal and as shown in the picture

When you say you are using a planer to get the rough shape, are you talking hand plane or a real planer ( up yours, darksiders!! )? Sorry CITA. Small 'in-joke' there.

I reckon you would find it easier using a bandsaw or a jigsaw to get the rough shape, but either way you are still in for a shed-load of sanding.

If you want hassle free, you could go for a CNC machine, but start thinking of a dollar sign with six figures after it. And no, that does not include the cents.

Maybe someone else can come up with something more practical?
    Retired member

You could try a couple of roundover bits on a router table. If it's 35mm wide, Carbatec sell a 16mm and a 19mm radius bit. I reckon the 16mm will make the end look pretty round. Then a smaller 10 or 12mm roundover bit on the longer edges. Be sure to use a backing board on the end grain cut.

Tex

Using a real planer , lining up a run of lengths side by side (100 or so), clamping them and then ripping down the line doing one side at a time. Its quicker than individual cuts but rather cave man like.

Would that CNC router be 2d or 3d as I have access to 2D or plunge type. The variance in the dimensions of my timber which was edge rounded green using a spindle moulder has always scared me away from this method?

Thanks for your input

The one I was thinking of was 3D, but I reckon you would only need the 2D. If you have access to one, then fantastic.

Consider Tex B's suggestion though....it could be even simpler!

Make sure you let us know what you decide, and feel free to stick around.

PS This advice has just cost you one double hammock. I'm already relaxed......

Retired member

We tried a 16mm round over bit however found it dug in between the individual pieces when doing a run down the line of lengths. It may be worth revisiting on smaller runs with more secure clamps if the journey for a one stop solution fails. Thanks tex

I gather no-one here has heard of the term "wood-turning lathe"??
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

You could nick the corners off with a drop saw using a jig for the correct angle and sand them on a disk sander then run around with the router. I did this to make 200 chair arm rests.
    David L
    One of the great crowd beyond the bloom of youth on the Sunshine Coast

Speak louder Skew.
    Regards,
    Noel

Lightbulb

If your spindle moulder has a sliding table, run the ends through in a block prior to running the sides through.

cheers

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by CITA View Post
    I need help in finding a machine or tool to round the ends of 1-1.2m lengths of square timber. The timber is cut to length, edge rounded using a spindle moulder and 35mm wide and 40mm high.

I currently round both ends using a very labour and time intensive method of using a planner to get a rough shape and then a series of disc, belt, orbital and hand sanding to get a nice round polished end. I need help in finding the right machinery or tool to do the job? I use the finished timber to make Aussie made hammocks see www.chairintheair.com for examples.
    Japan Woodworker carries a set of dowel dooming planes, see link
    http://www.japanwoodworker.com/produ...&dept_id=13621

whilst the JWW set can only round up to 25mm, it's a pretty simple tool and the principle could readily be scaled up to the size you need and the cutter spun in a slow speed drill.

ian

Why not drill the hole first, slip it over a peg on the table of a disk sander and just swivel the timber against the sanding disk. This will give you a semicircular end on the wood, concentric with the hole, then run it past the rounding bit you used for the straight edges. That is assuming it has a pilot bearing. There are references somewhere on this forum to wheel making jigs for disk sanders which will adapt very well to your requirements, I just started typing this before doing a search myself. If you have trouble following my rambling suggestion, I will take a photo of my setup.
    Cheers
    Graeme

What Skew said.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast