Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default buying wax in bulk?

Just obtained a ute load of olive wood in various sizes and ages. I plan on rough cutting the wood to size and leaving to dry for a while. Problem is that the wax I "inherited" (was given) to go with my shed wont go anywhere close to doing the job. I need to buy quite a large ammount, prefferably in the Geelong Region. Can anyone point me in the right direction???

Can someone also confirm what sort is best. I believe it is parifin wax I am using but could be wrong.
    prove how bored u really are, ..... visit....... http://burlsburlsburls.freespaces.com/ my humble website

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Lightbulb

Rowan,
    Log end sealer is what you want. Comes in 20 litre drums. Available from your local petroleum distributor. Each company has/did have their own brand. Cost around $80.00 per 20 litres.

regards

Kev

Try asking Ubeaut- not sure if they have anything in their range, but it is their BB, and they are in Geelong!
    "Clear, Ease Springs"
    www.Stu's Shed.com

Just thinking aloud if I may ....

If the purpose of sealing the timber to to prevent uneven moisture loss to prevent splitting then why wouldn't any wax work? I know that there is a bee keeper in Lara who sells wax ... he might even try and get rid of it ... there is also another in Hamlyn Heights.

Havent done it yet so I really wouldn't know.

Stinky.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Arrow

I guess with log end sealer it is absorbed into the cells rather than covering the end as wax would do thereby ensuring that the loss of cellulose is minimised and checking hence minimal.
    I think that log-end sealer has a wax component in it providing the protection against moisture ingress.

I remember my father and Grandfather using paint on the ends of timber as with their fruit trees to seal but I do use the log end sealer because I need to seal timber set aside for woodturning.
    Some wood turning blanks are sold after being hot-dipped in wax but the form and the compinents this wax takes I do not know.

Cheers
    Johnno

Everyone has a photographic memory, some just don't have film.

Rowan, to save you all the hassle of sealing that beautiful olive, just sent it up to me as I have a drum of end grain sealer. Or you can use parafin, paint, PVA glue etc.
    Cheers
    Barry

We currently have about 1/2 ton of parrafin wax in stock. I'm sure we can find a kilo or few that we could sell you.

Cheers . Neil

If you are going to seal Olive, don't waste any time as Olive splits quickly.

Last year I cut down a big mango tree, and sealed the ends with acryic paint in various colours. recently I cut up some logs, and was pleasantly surprised. The timber was coloured the same as the paint I used. The trees must have drawn up the paint as it dried.
    This has produced some very colourful grain which seems permanent.
    Regards
    Dod

Dod: I got some Mango a while back from a local supplier. I think you'll find the wood didn't draw in the paint - Mango naturally has some quite amazing colours & patterns.

I've only turned one small bowl out of it, but it has a whole range of colours - duller when finished than it was raw, and kind of like an extreme version of camphor laurel.

The water mixable wax that the petroleum guys sell is available from Carbatec ( in WA, I don't know about the others) under the name 'End Check'. The handy thing about it is that it can be thinned with water for ease of application and also for cleaning your brush and Yourself! I find I usually end up with as much on me as on the timber, with turning it over and then carrying and stacking it away.

Have FUN!......................Keep turning

The petro chemical companies will sell you parifin wax. But point out you don't need food grade( its more expensive)

A friend of mine who used to make candles got hers from the local BP deop in brisbane.