Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need some direction.

Hi,
    I'm needing some direction here. I want to start turning pens and am look for a one stop place to get all of the needed tools. I find some here or there and not some here or there or not at the best price. Already have a lathe (Delta Midi Lathe) and am not sure what all size mandrels I need or pen mills and stuff like that. I figured I'd start out turning the slim lines pens since they seem to be a very common application. Any advice and suggestions would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    Hi,
    I'm needing some direction here. I want to start turning pens and am look for a one stop place to get all of the needed tools. I find some here or there and not some here or there or not at the best price. Already have a lathe (Delta Midi Lathe) and am not sure what all size mandrels I need or pen mills and stuff like that. I figured I'd start out turning the slim lines pens since they seem to be a very common application. Any advice and suggestions would be great and much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve,

Looking at your profile tells me that you are from Alabama or Alaska USA if I'm correct? In the US there are a plethora of pen kit and accessories suppliers so you shouldn't have any probs.

Try;
    www.woodturnerscatalog.com
    www.arizonasilhouette.com/

or the Canadian supplier;
    www.penblanks.ca/cart/index.php

Cheers, Evan

size of mandrel decides on type of pen. But to start off I look at a pen madrel A, particularly slimline pen kits These are a good starter, CA glue and pen mill. This will get you started with a pen. Also when you buy a pen make sure you have the matching bushes or you get home and can't make it
    HTH
    Toni
    PS this is a link that has lot of information on penmaking plus some video to watch
    http://www.woodturnerruss.com/Pens.html

Another good idea is to label things as they arrive, if you have a parts box label each compartment, if you start early it wont be a big job later, Amos
    Last edited by PenTurner; 3rd March 2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Evan...my username should have told you I was in Alabama.

Seriously, thanks for the info and thanks to the others that responded as well.

I was looking for a little less expensive hobby than my current one which is custom rod building. Some of the components and blanks can get really expensive. Also, if I mess up a few pens I'm not out a bunch of money and that means my mistakes aren't as costly.

Thanks for the help Y'all!

Steve

Steve pen turning might start off cheap but then you see the more exotic blanks it to can get very costly
    bye Toni

I was looking for a little less expensive hobby than my current one which is custom rod building. Some of the components and blanks can get really expensive. Also, if I mess up a few pens I'm not out a bunch of money and that means my mistakes aren't as costly.
    Cheaper... Hmmmm..... Take it from me you end up spending allmost as much on tools.. I know what you are taking about (Check the link to my other toys)..

You shouldn't have too many problems over there (Be warned, this forum is australian based, though we do have a number of American members who can direct you to stores over there, most of our contacts will be Australian based)

Good luck and show us some pics of your work. The golden rule here, is if there are no pics it didn't happen (Means you can hide you stuff ups)

Oh and don't forget to bring your sense of humor, some of us don't know the meaning of the word serious
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

My Other Toys

Steve, first welcome to the forum. I hope ypu were not near the path of destruction of the tornados that went through Enterprise. I have a very good friend in Webb. You have the luck of having some of the best suppliers where you are. The Pen Shop is the American forum for pen turning I prefer and run by a good man, in Johnny. The site is www.thepenshop.net a great place to learn the art of pen crafting. I will list some suppliers that I find are the better ones to deal with. Ryan at Woodturningz - good supplier of pink ivory, acylester, and kits, www.woodturningz.com Eric from CSUSA - one of the biggest suppliers of kits and accessories, www.woodturnerscatalog.com Ernie from Beartooth Woods - big range of kits and different platings, www.beartoothwoods.com Others have mention AZ you have penn state as well as woodcraft and Berea, www.bereahardwoods.com Between the sites I have metioned as well as Bill from Arizona with Eric, Ernie, Ryan and Berea company you will have covered nearly all kits on the market as well as some of the best blanks available. join The Pen Shop everyone is dedicated to pen crafting and willing to lend a hand.
    Darren

Woodnink's got the idea ive got 6 parts boxes now about 20 different kits .I also laminate my instruction sheets and put them in a folder .Addictive na not much lol slimline pens are the go to start with .
    insanity is a state of mind if you don't mind it does not matter.

Gra....I didn't even realize this was an Australian based forum. I just jumped in there! Sorry about that. About the sense of humor....I've got one alright and my wife says it's a sick one sometimes.

bdar....we didn't get it like Enterprise but we did get several tornados and some really nasty weather. Thank God it didn't last very long and we had no damage. Those people in Enterprise really got hit hard. Thanks for the helpful info and the links.

And thanks to all those who have chimed in with some great information. I really appreciate it and promise that this will be the first place I post a pic of my work....which I hope is soon.

Thanks,
    Steve

Hi,

Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve,

It looks like you have been given some great advice, so good luck.

Jim

RollTide, keep up your input on this site also, most of the pen guys here have eyes shaped like pens, everything they see turns into a pen, the drug is powerful!!!! Amos, oh, by the way, Welcome.!

Roll Tide,
    Try PennStateIndustries.com. That's how I got started. They will send you a free catalog upon request and have a decent website as well.

I know what you mean about the forum. I didn't realize it was an Australian forum at first either. Then I started wondering why I couldn't understand anything. But, they are a real nice and talented bunch of individuals, absolutely brimming with personality. Even if they do talk funny.

Quote Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post
    But, they are a real nice and talented bunch of individuals, absolutely brimming with personality. Even if they do talk funny.
    Hey! THEY don't talk funny .. Y'ALLS talk funny.

heh heh heh

Hey Cisco mate, I had a mate from the US ring me on the telephone. I can guarantee I talk normal you talk funny. LOL
    Toni

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast