Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Beerbotboffin View Post
    Hi Mountpas,

If you're interested, I have plans for two of the buggers.

The first, and in my opinion, probably the better, is a machine which uses a converted washing machine gearbox. The second is the old school mentioned earlier.

Let me now if you want them will e-mail them to you.

I'm going to build the washing machine job when i get back to Aussie in about a week!

Frosty

Frosty, may I have a copy of your plans please - [email protected].

Grahame, in the past I've looked into building a power hacksaw and came to much the same conclusion - it's slow.

Now I do however need to cut thicker pieces and I do'nt want to shorten the life of my cold saw blades, they're soooo expensive so it's back to the power hacksaw idea.

Mountpas, please keep me informed on your build and thanks for resurrecting the idea for me.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Follow this link for 3 different sets of plans for power hacksaws.

http://www.sawmill.ausmade.com.au/building.html

There are some other free metal (and wood) working plans on the same webpage
    Regards, Bob Thomas

www.wombatsawmill.com

Thanks echnidna very useful. and did you get your plans Fluxcored?

Quote Originally Posted by mountpas View Post
    Thanks echnidna very useful. and did you get your plans Fluxcored?
    What a coincidence!! I looked at this thread yesterday to see if anybody posted any progress.

Yep, I got the plans. I nearly bought a hacksaw for cheap but the guy backed out of the deal at the last minute so I'm back to building one. Then I nearly succumbed to temptation and bought a cheap new bandsaw but decided against it when I saw the quality of the machine.

I've collected most of the material needed to build one and am currently busy putting together a stand for the saw out of scrap tubing. I'm short one large pulley but scheme that I can get away with one made out of wood for the time being - money is always an issue for me.

I bought a cheapo drill press just to cannibalise the pulleys for the saw but realise that with little modification the drill can be converted into a toolpost grinder for my lathe - not that I need one, mind you. And it's basically brand new so Chinese or not, it'll break my heart to dismantle it.

I'm buying or hope to buy the bearings next week and some steel to make the hacksaw frame out of.

So hopefully by the end of August, I'll have a running saw.

If anyone is a fan of Home Shop Machinist Magazine, their "Projects in Metal" edition of April 1995 carried a simple power hacksaw article authored by John Dean. Used a 1/6 th HP motor and two stage belt reduction for a very basic saw. I have the magazine, but would I go to jail for scanning and posting it here? The plans may be impossible to find otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by lilredex View Post
    If anyone is a fan of Home Shop Machinist Magazine, their "Projects in Metal" edition of April 1995 carried a simple power hacksaw article authored by John Dean. Used a 1/6 th HP motor and two stage belt reduction for a very basic saw. I have the magazine, but would I go to jail for scanning and posting it here? The plans may be impossible to find otherwise.
    I wouldn't post it here,no-one will probably care, but do you want to run the risk? However, you could invite people to send you a Private Message with their email address and send them a scan with much less risk
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Quote Originally Posted by jmk89 View Post
    I wouldn't post it here,no-one will probably care, but do you want to run the risk? However, you could invite people to send you a Private Message with their email address and send them a scan with much less risk

Sounds like a reasonable idea...........but was trying to avoid sending out some 4000 emails. Got to be a better way! I posted some similar old Sears Craftsman stuff on a photo entry over at OWWM and didn't hear from anyone, (and I ain't headed for jail yet.)

Quote Originally Posted by lilredex View Post
    Sounds like a reasonable idea...........but was trying to avoid sending out some 4000 emails. Got to be a better way! I posted some similar old Sears Craftsman stuff on a photo entry over at OWWM and didn't hear from anyone, (and I ain't headed for jail yet.)
    It'z your liberty!! It may be a fair use, and so not contravene the author's copyright, but I'm no expert in Cannuck copyright law I doubt you'll get 4000 hits, but you never know.
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

Quote Originally Posted by fluxcored View Post
    What a coincidence!! I looked at this thread yesterday to see if anybody posted any progress.

Yep, I got the plans. I nearly bought a hacksaw for cheap but the guy backed out of the deal at the last minute so I'm back to building one. Then I nearly succumbed to temptation and bought a cheap new bandsaw but decided against it when I saw the quality of the machine.

I've collected most of the material needed to build one and am currently busy putting together a stand for the saw out of scrap tubing. I'm short one large pulley but scheme that I can get away with one made out of wood for the time being - money is always an issue for me.

I bought a cheapo drill press just to cannibalise the pulleys for the saw but realise that with little modification the drill can be converted into a toolpost grinder for my lathe - not that I need one, mind you. And it's basically brand new so Chinese or not, it'll break my heart to dismantle it.

I'm buying or hope to buy the bearings next week and some steel to make the hacksaw frame out of.

So hopefully by the end of August, I'll have a running saw.
    like to see some pics when you get it working " Mountpas"

You'll probably have to wait a while - I'm not known for speed.

I was originally going to do a bigger saw but decided to do a smaller bench top model. I may scale it up at a later stage.

I'll send pics when I'm done.

Cheers.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Big Shed; 22nd August 2011 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Copyright material removed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12