Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Review - Minwax Wipe-On Poly Finish

Hi all,

Had the writing bug this evening so decided to scribble down a story about some Minwax finish I bought at bunnies the other week and used this weekend.
    http://www.onlinetoolreviews.com/rev...wipeonpoly.htm

Hope it helps.
    How much wood could the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck could chuck wood?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

was checking this out at bunnings today too, happened to walk by it as i was looking for some plumbers tape
    Brett

Only Robinson Crusoe could get everything done by Friday!

Any chance of a photo of the finished product?. can it be applied over existing poly finishes?
    I'm thinking of doing a maintenance coat to my Kitchen benches and a wipe on product would be great.

Thanks Dean, bought a tin from bunnies a month or so ago and still haven't got around to trying it, like you say the American mags tend to talk about it now and then and seems to have a good rep over there.

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin Thumb View Post
    Any chance of a photo of the finished product?. can it be applied over existing poly finishes?
    I'm thinking of doing a maintenance coat to my Kitchen benches and a wipe on product would be great.
    Yep I'll try to get a photo up shortly.
    The missus had me workjing non-stop on the project so there were no time for photos

Can it be applied over existing poly finishes? Well I assume so, because I applied 4 coats of it, the fourth over the 3rd existing coat Just need to do some light sanding in between coats.
    How much wood could the woodchuck chuck if the woodchuck could chuck wood?

I used this product on a jewellry box i made a while ago. I usually use a combination of heapsa coats of shellac then a coat of Pauline's traditional wax.

After a few coats of the Minmax I thought it looked a little plasticy. I then cut it with a coat of EEE, I was really happy then. The EEE took the shrink wrapped effect away and left a lovely warm finish.
    Boring signature time again!

I'm putting the satin finish down on a blackwood bed at the moment, and am very happy with the outcome so far (coat number 2).

Just like Dean I had a lot of dramas getting the lid off. I ended up using a stillson, and in the process the plastic "overlid" that seems to make it childproof came off. Now the lid works just fine, every time....

Justin.

It's a good product.
    But it melts through my latex gloves after about 3 minutes or so?? Yes i've tried other brands.
    Steven Thomas

The lid is a pain in the A! But i've had no real problem, I use a screwdriver to pop it off.
    Too easy.
    Steven Thomas

As mentioned in a previous post, I used this on a blackwood bookcase. Found it easy to use and am happy with the satin finish. Used three coats. Had no problem with the lid. Just used a paint tin opener and it poped open.
    Bob

"If a man is after money, he's money mad; if he keeps it, he's a capitalist; if he spends it, he's a playboy; if he doesn't get it, he's a never-do-well; if he doesn't try to get it, he lacks ambition. If he gets it without working for it; he's a parasite; and if he accumulates it after a life time of hard work, people call him a fool who never got anything out of life."
    - Vic Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Lumber Bunker View Post
    It's a good product.
    But it melts through my latex gloves after about 3 minutes or so?? Yes i've tried other brands.
    Have you tried vinyl gloves Steve? They don't seem to disolve in as many things as latex.
    Visit my website
    Website
    Facebook

Good stuff the wipe on poly. I have found you need the first 3 or 4 coats to fully cure for a week before the last 2 coats are applied, then it looks fantastic. And that bloody lid

No Alex, i've not got vinyl gloves... any recomended brand names I should look out for?
    are they thin like the latex gloves?
    Steven Thomas

I'm also a fan, but hate the lid.

Used it on this bench a while back. Four coats was the go, and the difference between three and four was very noticeable.

Bench is still looking good after five months.

Since then, I've used it on a few other things, and decanted the stuff to a glass jar. Just have to make sure and clean the lid before closing it up each time.

Tex

Default Wipe-On-Poly

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the import agent has vanished. What there is in Bunnings is the last of it in Australia and I don't like the chances of it coming by mail from the US.

This is the result of extensive enquiries I made last year. There was a thread on it previously. There is none here in WA so I asked my sister to bring me some from Melbourne.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast