Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Smile simpler way of fitting mini-cyclone

Hi all. I've just made one of the Triton mini-cyclone dust collectors. Works brilliantly! Many thanks to those who designed it and posted the videos and instructions.
    One alteration I've made though, was to wrap a couple of layers of insulation tape around the 25mm pvc pipes and then twist them into the existing holes in the triton bucket lid. (see pics) As an added precaution these were then sealed with some silicon. This saves the hassle of drilling out the holes to 40mm, and allows the use of the hose connectors as is.
    Hope this saves future builders some time!!
    Cheers, Steve
    Attachment 41969

Attachment 41970

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by sprices View Post
    Hi all. I've just made one of the Triton mini-cyclone dust collectors. Works brilliantly! Many thanks to those who designed it and posted the videos and instructions.
    One alteration I've made though, was to wrap a couple of layers of insulation tape around the 25mm pvc pipes and then twist them into the existing holes in the triton bucket lid. (see pics) As an added precaution these were then sealed with some silicon. This saves the hassle of drilling out the holes to 40mm, and allows the use of the hose connectors as is.
    Hope this saves future builders some time!!
    Cheers, Steve
    Attachment 41969

Attachment 41970
    Steve

thanks for sharing this.

I just wonder whether there is the required mechanical stength in the joint compared to a glued-in sleeve.

As I am just about to build mine, I think I will use your suggestion - if it doesn't last, I can always retrofit the sleeves!!

Cheers

Jeremy
    Cheers

Jeremy
    If it were done when 'tis done, then 'twere well it were done quickly

My experience with these kinds of joints has been good for a short while, but they tend to get sloppy over time.

JMK, if you cut out the top reasonably carefully, you can insert and glue a bit of 32mm electrical conduit quite easily. The triton hose fits snugly over the conduit. No adapters required.

Tex

I agree with the comments about the electrical tape not lasting. It tends to lose grip and get soft. Those pipe joiners take a fair amount of punishment when moving the bucket around so I think something more permanent is required.
    If at first you don't succeed, give something else a go. Life is far too short to waste time trying.

Talking re the strength?

Interesting feedback. Only time will tell whether the joints hold up, but they are fairly well adhered with sealant etc. on the underside.
    If I start losing suction, at least it will be easy to re-do, either with a drill-out, or doing it again as is. I initially planned to use some spacer material that I use for fittings on my bikes, but it was too difficult to insert.
    If it fails, I'll put up a post and claim my adaption as a total dud!!!!
    Steve

For joint glue & seal, have a look at a recently introduced product called 'Tool Box' IIRC - it is a gap filling glue in a cartridge (like Liquid Nails) that dries slighly flexible. Down sides are its 2-3 times more than Liquid Nails-like glues, and it is dark grey in colour.

I suspect it is a 'clever marketing ploy' to sell an existing product like 'Stikaflex'(sic).

32mm electrical conduit is a real good general purpose thing for making vacume cleaner related stuff. it mates up with the common hoses, fittings and tools.

I do agree thAt 'leccy tape has creep problems.
    Standard mashing tape is much better for making jam fit adaptors & such.
    I have a nimber of tools with custom made jam fit adaptors made from 32mm conduit and masking tape.... some of them are 4 or 5 years old and still firm & tight.
    Masking tape gives you more controll over thickness and compresses better than lecky too.
    cheers
    Any thing with sharp teeth eats meat.
    Most powertools have sharp teeth.
    People are made of meat.
    Abrasives can be just as dangerous as a blade.....and 10 times more painfull.