Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default enclosing a verandah

SWMBO wants to enclose a verandah area about 3m x 6m with glass panels to make agreen house including a sliding door. We are having trouble finding someone to do it so I am thinking about having a go. Trouble is I have no idea where to start.

I would like to work with wood but I think aluminium might be better. Does any one have any idea for sources on the web or books about making frames suitable for that.

Thanks

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

Ivor in New England, hmmm. Wouldn't happen to make little wooden boxes and chase the odd water bug now and then?

Back to problem.....I have an el cheapo suggestion. One can hunt up a collection of used aluminium sliding doors from various building recyclers, tips etc. The trick is to hunt up doors of much the same size. At this point you have a choice.....extract the glass from the alloy frame and make some new timber frames or use the alloy frame as is. Either can then be mounted into the structural timber frame of your verandah.

You can buy timber window frames in their component profiles (see page 20 of http://www.tabma.com.au/NSW/profile%20bklt%20dft32.pdf for the profile types) so if you are clever/lucky then there wouldn't be much joinery work - but it mightn't be cheap. The glass will be the most expensive part!!

Seaya
    Sean
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivor View Post
    SWMBO wants to enclose a verandah area about 3m x 6m with glass panels to make agreen house including a sliding door. We are having trouble finding someone to do it so I am thinking about having a go. Trouble is I have no idea where to start.

I would like to work with wood but I think aluminium might be better. Does any one have any idea for sources on the web or books about making frames suitable for that.

Thanks
    Ivor

I gather that is the New England as in Bendemeer to Tenterfield. If so contact Spanline Tamworth 6761 2533. Not cheap but they are screwable.

They will give you a price to do it or sell you the components to do it yourself.

One step ahead of you Silentbutdeadly (Sean), we've got the glass panels already sitting there up the back shed.

I'll try the spanline thing, I have seen them advertise but I thought they just did awnings.

Cheers