Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default New GMC Compressor

Hi gang

I was in Bunnings today (purchasing wax filler, if you must know) and spied a new GMC product, a 2 hp compressor. What made this so remarkable is that it is only $99!! The downside is that it only has a 24 litre tank.

This item is not yet on the GMC website.

So tell me what could one use it for? It would be a great partner for a brad nailer, I'm sure. Too small to use for spray painting a car (what is recommended)? OK for spray painting (lacquer) furniture? Driving air tools?

Regards from Perth

Derek

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Ok for running air tools with intermittent air requirements - ie: stapler, bradder, even a framing gun. No good for any tool requiring a constant supply like a die grinder, drill or grinder. Could get away with spraying smaller jobs with a gun that has a low air consumption. For instance I have a CIG Arnold spray gun that needs to run at about 60psi, so would not be suitable but have another, a cheapie which is a copy of a DeVillBiss (I think or maybe of a Binks Bullows) that will happily run at 30 psi so would be ok. If you want to do a fair bit of spraying however get something decent, belt drive at least 12 CFM. Consider any cheapie as disposable. I have a "Supercheap" compressor bought a few years ago for about $150 that lives in my van because I got tired of dragging the big one out of the workshop. It more than paid for itself in the warranty period so if it dies I will just replace it with another "disposable" unit. However I'm guessing that you would be rather upset if yours dies a month after its warranty does so I would suggest getting the largest machine you can if you plan on doing a bit of spraying.

Mick

Thanks Mick

Actually, my interest was initiated by my wife (!!), who has been suggesting I get a brad nailer. I think that she has been watching too many re-runs of Norm and the New Yankee Workshop!

The GMC would be fine for that and make for an inexpensive combination (I like the look of the PC125 or PC200, should I actually go down that road).

However, I really need a compressor for spray painting and running some air tools for a car I am restoring (a '57 356A). Recognising that the ideal one would likely run to about a grand, which I cannot justify at this time, I had put thoughts of air tools on hold. But the price of the GMC certainly gives pause for thought. Pity about the small tank.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Just out of interest, what sort of animal is a '57 356A?

Mick

Hi Mick

This shares tool room in my garage. It's a 1957 Porsche 356A. In the 5 years of my custodianship I have rebuilt the brakes, motor, and a million other minor things. It is fairly rust free (having been stored in Sacramento, USA for 15 years earlier) but I have done a lot of panel beating (trying to get rid of any bog), and respraying (out of a rattle can) as I go. A full respray (by myself) will be done in the future. In the meantime I drive it when I can. LOTS of work still to do, and a real distraction to woodworking!

All the best from Perth

Derek

Swwwwweeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttt

Thats one nice car derek!!

Even makes me wish I had my old VW!

Darryn

Thumbs up

Very nice, and if thats the sort of finish you get out of a spray can I'm sure you'll manage a decent job out of pretty much any compressor!

Mick

Geez Doostop, that's a bit below the belt (I'm got my hands over the cars' ears ... airvents). you'll hurt his feelings. He - that is, Harry (the car) - thinks that's like believing a Ryobi is the same as a Makita.

On the other hand, I wish that the parts cost the same as a VW! Unfortunately, they stopped being interchangeable in 1950.

Of course, when Harry gives me a hard time I have been known to call him a jumped up beetle.... Forgive me Harry!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Harry looks good Derek. Any wood in it?

A male car should have female companionship.

- Wood Borer

:eek: You mean that Ryobi and Makita aren't the same!!!! Strewth.

Wood Borer

Wood in the car? I would love to have more wood in the car, as long as it was original. I have replaced the original (VW-like) steering wheel with a wood Derrington, which was an optional extra in its day. Looking at this, I am sure I could build one myself - they look like an inner, single piece core of aluminium sandwiched between laminated timbers. Mine looks like mahogany. One of these days I'm going to build one out of Aussie timbers (just for fun). I also have a mind to turn a gearshift knob out of jarrah or something. In fact, the other day I was tracking a set of Porsche cufflinks on eBay because they were miniture versions of the hood badge, and I thought they would be a good size to recess into the top of a wooden gearshift knob. Unfortunately they went for more than I could justify. I'll stick to the original ivory plastic knob I have (which took me a year to find - when I got Harry he came with something that resembled a crystal candelabra!).

Here a pic of the Derrington steering wheel:

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

Don't get upset here, but I am curious to understand what would possess anyone to restore an old car like that. I know you will think me a Philistine, but any car more than 20 years old belongs in the crusher at the scrap metal yard in my book. I simply don't see the point in spending the time and money which you must surely spend on this. Yes, it's a hobby, and yes, there must be a degree of satisfaction in it all, but I just don't see the point. I never have, (so I probably never will), but please try to explain to me - not that you are obliged to, but I would really like to hear what motivates you to do this.

Now that's an achievement in itself !

just a idea for storing for air when you have a small air compressor is hook up a old gas cylinder such as off a old forklift etc. I have the same a small air compressor and it didn`t store enough air and I was waiting for it to catch up. Hook up a old gas cylinder and now I can paint no stop.

bye goldy

Goldy

That is very clever. How do you do it? Step-by-step.

Thanks

Derek

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast