Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default sharpening service melbourne

does any know of a sharpening service in melbourne, who can flatten plane blades?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Default Sharpening service in Melbourne

Greetings,
    It depends on where abouts in Melb. you are. I know of one in a street off Newlands Road Coburg - near the Coburg Drive-in. The name starts with 'T' also made up some planer blades for me. I'm pretty sure that there is still one in North Melbourne near Queensberry St but cant recall that name either. But if you are not in the northern parts of Melb. it won't be much good anyway. PM me if you wnat more specific details I will hunt up their card.
    Regards,
    Smithy

can I ask what you are after?
    If its to get some plane blades flat, have you considered doing it yourself?

If you prefer to pay for the service, here's a link to some likely candidates: results
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

thanks for the quick responses.

I picked up an old block plane at the htpa tool sale last weekend.
    it still has it's original blade, but unfortunatley the back is a bit pitted, and the sides have been rounded off, I'm guessing by someone trying to linish the back.

I have tried 80 grit sandpaper glued to glass, but it is going to take ages to try and get it back into shape.

I did a yellow pages search, and got heaps of hits, I was hoping someone here had used someone and could recommend them.

cheers
    Moray

Sharp Edge Australia - they might be able to do it... although its a small and fiddly job, and will cost accordingly. The trouble is that the professionals don't usually do such small jobs, so finding someone to do it for a reasonable price might be difficult.

For the cost of doing it professionly, I think you'll be able to buy these two diamond stones and either some 1500, 2000 grit W/D paper, or a finer stone. Or some silicone carbide grit which cuts much faster.

Perhaps a Melbourne based forum member might be willing to do it for you?

Have you thought about getting a new blade from here: hans ... a new 110 blade is about $20.
    Cheers,
    Clinton

"Use your third eye" - Watson

http://www.flickr.com/photos/clinton_findlay/

If you are not able to do it yourself it will most likely be more economical to buy the new blade

is this what you need. . ?

<TABLE cellSpacing=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD vAlign=top width=85>
    </TD><TD width=2 rowSpan=2></TD><TD class=bodycopy vAlign=top colSpan=2 height=106>M Power Precision Sharpening System PSS1

<NOBR>inc tax: $125.10</NOBR>
    <NOBR>ex tax: $113.73</NOBR>

We proudly introduce M.POWER’s newest achievement, the M.POWER Precision Sharpening System (PSS1)! With this tough, aluminium jig including 2 x Monocrystalline diamond abrasive stones, you can bring all but the most severely abused or broken plane irons and chisels back into service and keep them there, literally razor sharp! The instructions provided will have you putting a razor edge on your chisels and plane irons within a few minutes of opening the package. </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    www.mik.com.au
    cheers
    Jedo

Thank you all for your replies, I ended taking the blade to a place near work that was recommended by monster, leading edge just near carbatec.

$8.50 to sharpen it, the blade is a bit flatter. I think I will use the sandpaper on glass next time I sharpen it.

cheers
    Moray