Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Replacing single-glaze with double-glaze

Hello everyone. I am new to this forum so please excuse my clunky wanderings here.

I have my eye on some old double-hung sash windows that we would like to purchase for a house we are building. They are in pretty good nick but I am wondering how difficult (or impractical) it would be to replace the panes of glass in the frames with double-glazed or comfort glass panes (it gets bitterly cold here in winter).

I am more than happy to do it myself, but I don't know if it is even possible. Has anyone tried this? How much would it add to the cost of, say, a $250 recycled window.

Thanks,
    Zok

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Zok

I don't think its a DIY project. Double glased windows have to have the two layers really well sealed so that you don't get any condensation in between the panes etc. Normally they are vaccum sealed or they have Argon gas in the cavity.

I did read somewhere on this forum that there are companies around that will make just a metal frame holding te sealed double glased panes ... then you can fit that into a wooded frame. It wasn't too expensive but you would have to screw around with the existing sashes a fair bit ... and the thickness would be a considerartion.

Quote Originally Posted by zok View Post
    Hello everyone. I am new to this forum so please excuse my clunky wanderings here.

I have my eye on some old double-hung sash windows that we would like to purchase for a house we are building. They are in pretty good nick but I am wondering how difficult (or impractical) it would be to replace the panes of glass in the frames with double-glazed or comfort glass panes (it gets bitterly cold here in winter).

I am more than happy to do it myself, but I don't know if it is even possible. Has anyone tried this? How much would it add to the cost of, say, a $250 recycled window.
    Have a look at this thread
    https://www.woodworkforums.com/f84/window-frames-17103

I think fitting in double glazing will be the big issue. Most window glass is 6mm. Most double glazing seems to be 14mm. See
    http://www.moenglass.com.au/gui/wizard/index.php

I've no personal experience with this. It would probably fit in my steel framed windows which have deep rebates for the glass and it might fit in some timber windows which have a deep layer of putty.

You could also consider secondary glazing - a large pane of glass or perspex which is attached to the inside of the window frame (not to each individual pane) and is removed after winter.

You might find this of interest. How to make secondary glazing using heat-shrink plastic film.
    http://historichomeworks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=193