Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A while ago I posted a question regarding what people considered the best dovetail jig.

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ight=dove+tail

I finally decide to go for the Incra jig, specifically the Incra LS 17" System, which includes the Wonderfence.

This decision was arrived at after watching a demo on the Leigh jig at Carbatec (jig seemed impressive, demo wasn't) and using the Leigh D4R jig first hand after receiving an offer from one the forum members (who is unfortunately no longer a member)

This first hand experience confirmed to me that if I went the Leigh way I was going to have to buy a smaller router, I have a Triton TRA001 and a Makita 3600BR.

As I was also not happy with my Triton router table (RTA300) and was considering building a new one, it seemed logical to go the Incra way as this would also give me a perfect router fence.

All this soul searching was sparked by Timbecon having a very good special on an Incra Ultra 25, including a set of router bits and the templates/book.
    However, by the time I had done my research (read procratination!) they were all sold out.

Back to square one. I had also contacted Graham at Professional Woodworking Supplies and he made me an offer I couldn't refuse on the complete Incra 17" package.

Even though this was a good offer, it was still double the Timbecon special, but it did include the Wonderfence. More soul searching until SWMBO reminded me rather forcefully that I can't take it with me and I might as well dip into the kids inheritance.

So off to Paterson Lakes we went and came home with a rather big box of Incra bits as well as a Woodpeckers phenolic router plate and Incra Mitre track.

Now the serious work began, designing the router table.

Lots of reading of forum threads, internet searches and borrowing library books and more questions of forum members (did I say how good a resource this is?)

Some links to some of my inspiration:

http://home.pacbell.net/jdismuk/routertable.html

Nothing found for Sstat-1

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com...ight=underused

I finished up pinching bits from everywhere and added some of my own.

The top of the table is made from 32mm laminated chipboard, picked up (for $5.00, new!) from one of my favourite salvage yards, A&R Salvage at Campbellfield.

20070312_001.jpg

The opening routed out to suit the Woodpecker phenolic insert, I used a 35mm router bit which matched the ratio of the corners of the insert perfectly.
    I was fortunate to have this on hand, purchased the 35mm bit to rebate all my bottom and top plates for the frame of my brick veneer house I built here.

20070312_002.jpg

The frame made up to get the correct opening for the insert, arrived at by measuring and doing a trial run on scrap.

20070407_009.jpg

When I attached the Triton router to the insert and put this in the opening, it immediately highlighted a problem. It would be very hard to connect the dust extraction hose to the opening on the Triton router.
    Even out of the table I find this hard and fiddly. I overcame this by cutting a small piece of Triton dust extraction hose and leaving that permanently in the router, then attached one of the Triton fittings, which takes the Triton hose easily.

This shows the detail.

20070312_003.jpg 20070312_004.jpg

to be continued...............
    Last edited by Big Shed; 22nd October 2016 at 12:04 PM.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Looking good , look forward to seeing the completed table
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

G'day,
    Thats coming on nicely Bet you cant wait it get it all set up, and make that first cut
    I used mine in a half made state to finish the rest of it
    I cant see from the pics, have you braced the bottom of the table? Although You've used some hefty board for your top, the weight of the big triton router and plate has been know to curve the top over time.
    Looking forward to seeing it progress!
    Cheers.

I should mention here that the top is removable, there are a total of 8 50mm long 20x20mm aluminium angles screwed to the bottom, which then make a push fit into the metal frame top.
    This was done so I can get to the bolts mounting the Incra base.

The front of the Incra base is positioned 19 3/4" from the center of the router plate and mounted with a total of 6 bolts (provided).
    I a still not sure about this setup, even though recommended by Incra, and am considering mounting the base on T-Tracks rebated into the top.
    This is so that I can position the base further from the router, especially when the Wonderfence is mounted. More on this later

With the top mostly take care of, I did put Mountain Ash edges on it, I now started on the base.

As you can see in previous photos, I made a basic frame out of 25mm metal tubing, using some knockdown connectors I still had here.
    My welding skills are almost zero, I could have used mys small oxy/LPG set, but that meant getting a bottle of oxy.
    Not worth the expense.

I put some base facilities for 75mm castors, 2 fixed and 2 locking swivel (Super Cheap), giving me a height of 900mm from floor to top of table.

This shows the base and positioner mounted ready for the fence.

20070312_012.jpg

This is the basic Pro fence supplied with the standard LS.

Here is the Wonderfence mounted, this is easily removed when needed.

20070312_014.jpg

I made 2 carcases from 18mm MDF, 1 lower one above which the router is mounted, giving me plenty of room to manipulate the router.
    The higher one fits inside the metal frame and will have 6 small drawers and 2 bigger ones for the Incra templates and book.

20070326_001.jpg

Both carcases were finished with a coat of Sanding Sealer (Protec) and a coat of Satin Polyurethane (Protec Polyglow). This finish is harwearing and additonal coats of poly were deemed unneccessary.

Here's the whole thing assembled with drawers and top.

20070405_001.jpg

1 of the storage drawers, this one with router bits, others will have various router accessories.

20070405_005.jpg

to be continued....................
    Last edited by Big Shed; 22nd October 2016 at 11:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by underused View Post
    G'day,
    Thats coming on nicely Bet you cant wait it get it all set up, and make that first cut
    I used mine in a half made state to finish the rest of it
    I cant see from the pics, have you braced the bottom of the table? Although You've used some hefty board for your top, the weight of the big triton router and plate has been know to curve the top over time.
    Looking forward to seeing it progress!
    Cheers.
    No, first time I used mine was for the template inserts, to be shown next. Must admit it was hard not to, but had the Triton router table still that I could use. So all drawer fronts were done on the Triton router table, and it shows. None of the round overs match on the corners!

At this stage I haven't braced the top, but may well do so, it is pretty flat at present, but maybe I should do that before it sags.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    At this stage I haven't braced the top, but may well do so, it is pretty flat at present, but maybe I should do that before it sags.
    I would mate, just in case eh. would be a shame if it did sag, all that work.
    Its looking really good, heaps of drawer space for bits and fixtures etc.
    Nice work
    Last edited by Big Shed; 22nd October 2016 at 01:06 PM.

The big drawers on top were designed to store the templates that come with the Incra.

20070405_006.jpg

They are 17" long and 1/2" wide and there are 50 of them.

So a way to store and easily retrieve them was needed.

Fortunately in my research I cam across this site

Nothing found for Sstat-22

where he came up with a very neat solution.

Each template tray will sit on a couple of MDF rails so they can easiy slide forward and be lifted on to the drawer front.

20070407_001.jpg

Each tray has 25 slots routed in, using the Incra template. This job really brought home to me the accuracy of this system.
    The guy in Woodshopdemos used the 5/8" template, but I found that the bits between the dovetail tracks broke off easily, maybe Yankee MDF is stronger than our variety?

20070407_002.jpg

So I used the 11/16 template, cut the dovetail with the 1/2" DOVETAIL BIT, then used the fine adjustment knob for halF a turn (1/64") and cut again. This widened the track just enough to let the 1/2" slide easily.

When you need a template the tray can easily be lifted an brooght forward on top of the drawer front to take the template out, or return it.

20070407_003.jpg

to be continued..............
    Last edited by Big Shed; 22nd October 2016 at 01:10 PM.

Tray with templates lifted and brought on top of drawer front for easy selection.

Attachment 397784

I have copied the template book that came with the jig to stop it getting dirty in the shed.

20070407_008.jpg

With a bit of jiggling they fit on to A3, put all the copies into a folder from OfficeWorks, this fits neatly on top of the top tray.

Again a bit of perspex is to go on the tray to protect the templates.

It is shown here on the bottom tray, but top tray was deliberately made a little higher for this.
    Last edited by Big Shed; 22nd October 2016 at 01:15 PM.

Sweet RT Big Shed, well done mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post

All this soul searching was sparked by Timbecon having a very good special on an Incra Ultra 25, including a set of router bits and the templates/book.

However, by the time I had done my research (read procratination!) they were all sold out.

Big Shed ..... the table looks fantastic ..... I will bookmark this one for future reference.

I also looked into the special at Timbecon .... it wasn't long after our discussions that I had a look on their website and found the same deal, I bookmarked the page however the deal was gone a day later. Sounds like a misprint in the mailout, possibly should have read normal price with bonus router bits. The old "sold out" perhaps covered up a bad mixup in printing.
    Now proudly sponsored by Binford Tools. Be sure to check out the Binford 6100 - available now at any good tool retailer.

Very nice table. Well done.

Tex

Looking good, thanks for sharing, good job on the pics too.
    Cliff.
    If you find a post of mine that is missing a pic that you'd like to see, let me know & I'll see if I can find a copy.

Thumbs up

Wow - top job Big Shed! That is an awesome looking set up.

Default Router Table Update

Now that I have used this router table for a while, I thought I would update
    this thread with my experience in using it.

Basically the router table has performed as expected with one exception, dust
    extraction.

The original design had the router space open, relying on the router dust
    extraction port for it's dust extraction. This did not perform all that well
    so a rethin was needed.

The router space is now totally enclosed.

20071031_004.jpg

The doors open, have used 165 deg hinges to give maximum access to the enclosed space.

20071031_007.jpg

Note that I am still using the Triton Router dust extraction port, connecyed
    to the outside of the cabinet with a short length of Triton DC hose.

The setup in close-up. The through the wall connector I used is from C/tec, 65mm stepped adapter

20071031_005.jpg

The adapter from the outside, this adapter also takes the Shopvac hose when more suction is required.

20071031_002.jpg

The external DC connections, using 100m SWV fittings and 100mm and 65mm flexible DC hose. There is a blast gate at the end, not really needed for closing the DC connection off, but makes a good fitting for the 100mm
    threaded push-on fitting.

20071031_001.jpg

The other side of the enclosure with the switch (Timbecon) mounted as well as 3 cable collars used to control airflow within the enclosure.

20071031_008.jpg

I finally fitted the template holders with 3mm plexiglass which I purchased on my last trip to Adelaide.

20071031_010.jpg

I have now given this set-up a good trial with various projects, the latest being making 12 dovetailed drawers for a CD cabinet I am making. These dovetailed drawers were made using the INcra LS17, my first major use of this jig for dovetails.

20071031_014.jpg

It passed with flying colours, after an initial bit of fiddling to familiarise myself with it.

I will be starting a WIP on the CD cabinet shortly.

All in all, this latest mod to the router table is a success and has made using it a lot less dusty.

About the only mod I can see myself make is an above table dust extration setup for the Incra in dovetail mode, some dust/shavings stay on the table because of the way the Incra is setup. Not a major problem so it can wait.
    Last edited by Big Shed; 22nd October 2016 at 01:31 PM.

Looks great BS, just one ??? for you though.

Why do you have the 4" mounted halfway up the side panel, rather than at the bottom, would have thought it would be more efficient and easier for when you need to sweep out the cabinet.
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast