Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default paint for bathroom renovation

Hi all,

hope someone can help me.
    I am planning to renovate my bathroom. The house was built in the early 70's and I am sure the bathroom has never been renovated.
    Still the same old wallpaper.
    I am planning to refreshen the bathroom until I can afford a complete renovation.
    I am going to remove the wallpaper then paint the ceiling and the wall, replace the laminate bench top which is stained and put a new sink+taps and lights.
    I won't touch the shower or the bathtub.
    My questions are:
    - for the paint, considering the fact that it is a moist area, is there a special undercoat to use to prevent mold?
    - for the final paint, any type of paint will do or do I still need to apply a paint specifically designed for bathroom?
    - finally I want to replace the laminate bench which is probably 3.5cm thick. Living in Melbourne (doncaster), does anybody know where I could find this type of bench (with a choice of colour or pattern rather than the old fashion brown )? The problem with this bench is that it is not square or rectangle but a sort of L shape with on side in an angle. I could replace it with a simple L shape of course.
    Thanks for your help.
    Eric

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I would suggest an oil-base underprimer, especially if, when the wallpaper is removed, you find there is no primer beneath. Then finish with a satin or semi-gloss acrylic or oil-based, which will withstand the moisture.
    Cheers,

Bob

Talk to your paint seller - there are anti mould additives for acrylic top coats.
    Cheers.

Walking through bunnies the other day noticed "kitchen and bathroom" paint , was acrillic I think, espically designed for kitchens and bathrooms , can't remember the brand . Might be worth checking out
    Rgds
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

The moisture addatives have always worked well for me. Tiny bottle .. about $10 I think.

You can get bech top form Bunnings too ... but if you want an L shape your really need the mitre join in the corner cut on a proper machine ... it needs to be perfect. www.kitset.com.au would do you a top for not a lot of money I suspect. Otherwise any cabinet maker.

Default paint fot bathroom

My uncle ( a painter) always said to use a gloss enamel to ceilings and walls which I did to 2 houses and didn't have to repaint for 5 yrs and even then only because SWMBO decided on a colour change to the walls.

The ceiling was still good when we left after 8yrs.

Don't force it, use a bigger hammer.

I have just finished painting ceiling in bathroom with taubmans ceiling paint for moist areas. All the additives were alredy in the paint. Must admit i went into the shop ready to buy enamel (which i had before and grew mould). it went on really well but time will tell. It's acrylic and hides some of the imperfections in the ceiling.

CP

You could try kill rust paint. We have, on recomendation from our local paint store and have not had any problem with damp or moulds.
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Hi EMistral, I'm currently tackling my laundry at present. I ended up buying the British Paints wet area %100 acrylic designed to prevent mould growth for the walls. There is also DUlux mouldshield, Taubmans Kitchen and Bathroom that Ashore mentioned and I'm sure there are more.

Ceiling - I went with Taubman's one coat ceiling white as it also had mould resistant & low odour. Two coats and I'm absolutely wrapt, especially as HWMNBO actually said it looks really good, on 3 separate occasions

I might add extra mould killler additive to the paint for My bathroom though

cheers
    Wendy

Hi all,

thanks for your answers. It really help.
    I will probably go with the taubmans thing you guys mentioned (or another brand).
    Now I have decided that I will relaminate my bench top in the bathroom. I wanted to initially replace it but the previous owner fixed it then tiled around it and if I removed it, the grout will come out. I don't have time to fix that at the moment.
    I will simply remove the sink, fill the hole with some mdf or laminate of the same thickness and then I want to relaminate the bench top.
    My question is where can I find laminate (I mean sheets) products in melbourne?
    I would like to have a nice laminate pattern rather than the ugly brown/beige or white
    thanks
    Eric