Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
    greatoes Guest

Default downlights for shallow space above false ceiling

Hi

I'm looking for recessed ceiling downlights. The problem is the void (space from the concrete to the base of the false ceiling) is about 50 mm. If I use the normal MR16 halogen bulb, it actually touches the concrete and sticks out of the false ceiling a little. I tried to look for an alternative and was told to look at side mounted bi-pin light fittings. I managed to find them but they only take 20W max. I need 35, preferably 50W in order to get enough light.

Does anyone have ideas?

I's also worried about heat build-up in small voids.

Grateful for any suggestions.

Many thanks,

Greatoes

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by greatoes View Post
    I need 35, preferably 50W in order to get enough light.[/SIZE]

Does anyone have ideas?
    The 35watt downlights are generally smaller ie shorter as the 35watt halogen globe is shorter. I just finished installing 6 of these in our bedroom ceiling. They look great and are only about 65mm diameter. I don't know the height, if you posted this message two days ago I could have measured them

I CAN tell you they are as high as the globe + the ceramic holder (8mm) + approx 5mm into the light fitting, which is slightly down from the ceiling itself.

IOW, I expect this type WOULD fit within your available space
    Kind Regards

Peter

The ones that are used in in kitchen cabinets will fit in 2 layers of mdf ... so less than 40mm deep.

Quote Originally Posted by OBBob View Post
    The ones that are used in in kitchen cabinets will fit in 2 layers of mdf ... so less than 40mm deep.
    We had 15 set into the back room and set them on three row's with the middle row having 1 extra so they could be set in a staggered pattern. Each row has it's own switch and to have one row on is plenty of light, the room is approx 10mtr x 6mtr, to have them all on is nearly like looking at the sun.
    savage(Eric)

Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

greatoes Guest

Default Thanks for the information

Thank you all for your help.

Unfortunately, the cabinet lights I have seen use 20 Watt bulbs and my electrician tells me that the 35 Watt halogen light is also a little too big.

I have found some track lights that look quite good. I might just use this to safe all the trouble.

Thanks again.

Greatoes