Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Disappointed with random orbital sanders performance.

Hi guys

After a fair amount of research from lurking around this forum I finally made the plunge and bought a cheap Arlec random orbital sander from Kmart just to see how they perform and generally work.

Now I know what you are going to say about cheap tools but really regardless of price they should perform a similar function to that of a good brand. An example to this is my 15 year old Hegner cuts most materials much the same as my pocket change GMC scroller which I bought for $55, I couldn’t resist.

So anyway getting back to the random orbital sander, after a small tryout I quickly realized that my Metabo third sheet orbital which oscillates at 22000rpm performed far better than the random orbital.

So I phoned Metabo and after a bit of the run-around the message I got was the only way you will get a better performing random orbital is to fork out $400 for there new random orbitals they have on the market, which is similar to the festool rotex.

Looks like I may have to wait until the woodworking show comes around to Melbourne before I can really test what’s out there. By the way I returned the Arlec machine.

Has anyone experienced a similar situation or can anyone suggest a similar or better machine than the $400 Metabo for a cheaper price.

Regards

Daniel

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

What exactly was the problem?
    Scratch marks? What grit sandpaper where you using and was it a good brand paper?

It did not remove as much material as I thought it would, the finish was much the same though.

I thought that this would be the solution to removing excess material fast around misaligned glue joints.

Back to the Makita belt sander for the time being.

Daniel.

Belt sander will take it off faster than an ROS.
    What grit sandpaper where you using on the ROS?

I was using 60 grit.

Daniel

fair enough...
    Perhaps your expectation was to high after having used a belt sander?

ROS will remove material with 60 grit, just not as fast.

I just thought that the ROS would be far better than the third sheet orbital.

I suppose that is why Metabo has produced there new machine, which is similar to the rotex.

Maybe this is why people swear by the rotex.

I had what I thought were reasonably good random orbital sanders (Bosch) for many years. Boy was I ever wrong. Compared to my Festo they are absolute rubbish. Give me the Festo any day.

We use it for our flat finishing demo's at the WWW Shows etc. It is bloody drilliant. Your welcome to visit us on stand 115 at Melb Show and try it out. You won't be dissapointed.

Cheers - Neil

PS Not a Rotex but the ES150/3 EQ Plus - finishing sander. Good for the course sanding and much better than a rotex for the most important part of the job the fine stuff.

I picked up the Triton attachment that converts an angle grinder into a random orbit sander and it works reeeeal good, gotta watch what I am doing or else. Because it is an angle grinder the centre of gravity is inclined to make it tilt on the work surface, but concentrate and it is fine.

My wife then bought me a black and decker Sandstorm, almost a waste of money. The velcro doesn't grip too well and stops gripping the paper well before the paper is worn out. The dust extraction, ha, is that what it meant to do. I only use the B&D for finish sanding.

I am actually tempted to buy a cheap angle grinder so I can leave one permanently setup as a Triton sander.

Jon

Jon

Thanks for the info on the Triton.

I will give the Triton ROS a try just to see if it does what I want, otherwise it will be the Festo as Neil suggested.

Daniel

Daniel

The Triton attachment ROS is ideal for taking off wood very quickly. I have one set up with a cheapish angle grinder (they are so cheap now). BUT it is ONLY used with lower grit sandpaper (60, 80, 120).

Note that this setup:
    (1) Uses 5"/125mm sanding disks only.
    (2) Is noisy and vibrates plus plus.
    (3) Has NO dust control.
    (4) Is single-speed (unless you have an angle grinder of a make I do not know).

I consider it a machine I will turn to if I have to do heavy duty work and hang the noise and dust.

I do have a Festo, which is not only variable speed (8000 - 20000 rpm) so that it can serve a wider range of applications, but it:
    (1) Uses 6"/150mm sanding disks.
    (2) Is silent and has very little vibration.
    (3) Has SUPERB dust control.

The Festo is the machine I turn to for super smooth sanding that is whirl-free without the NEED for whisky to steady my frayed nerves (but I drink it anyway).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Daniel

Derek has it right. The Triton attachment needs to be used very cautiously. It is extremely easy to grind an interesting half-moon shaped depression into your workpiece with it if you don't place it dead level (as you might guess, I'm talking from direct and very annoying experience).

I bought a Festo (from Derek Cohen!) last week. The difference is astonishing. The Festo ROS is in a completely different league. It handles beautifully, is supremely well-balanced and controllable and it treats the workpiece gently (no unintended half-moons!). The end result means that the glass of whisky is a celebration not a consolation or therapy for frayed nerves.

Col

Default Variable Speed Angle Grinder

Derek,

Just thought I would let you know that, yes, there is a variable speed angle grinder - I have one. Black & Decker model KG12E, 5", 2800-12000 RPM and made in Italy. Bought it about 5 years ago and going very well - not to noisy either (well for an angle grinder).

Note: I dont have the Triton attachment and dont intend on ever getting one as I have a ROS that perform Ok - not in the Festo, etc. league but good enough for me.
    Wayne

* New Website - Updates Coming Soon *
    http://wayneswoodwork.davyfamily.com/