Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default The penny finally drops

You all know I am a devoted, but recent, FESTO fan. Everyone's saying "it's a system, it's a system" but I don't think I really "got it" until today.

Bought the TS55 two weeks ago and of course the guide rail. Today I wanted to rout out part of a table top so I can inlay ceramic tiles in the centre of the table (a plant stand for SWMBO). Looked at making an MDF template, using a copy ring, blah blah blah. PITA.

Then I realized that my OF1000 had a thingo that rode on the guide rail just like the saw. A little reading, a little experimenting on scrap and voila, line up the rail, clamp it, set the router on, run it straight as, do all four sides then just keep moving the rail position until it is all routed out nice and square and accurate. Tiles fit like a glove.

So by damn it really IS a system.
    Cheers,

Bob

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Wait until a dollar drops.... It has so many possibilities...

I was thinking about getting the MFS for inlays. It never even occurred to me it could be done with the guide rail that way. Bravo Bob. Looking forward to following you 'unto the breach'.
    Do nothing, stay ahead

Couldn't that routing exercise be carried out by using clamped guides like we do trenches (dadoes) for bookcases? Is the accuracy on the Festool that good?

CP

Quote Originally Posted by Honorary Bloke View Post
    Today I wanted to rout out part of a table top so I can inlay ceramic tiles in the centre of the table (a plant stand for SWMBO). Looked at making an MDF template, using a copy ring, blah blah blah. PITA.

Bob,

What is wrong with using an MDF template without a copy ring - just the router's baseplate against the template? The template is easy to make; just raise the table-saw blade through the MDF on all four sides of the opening. But then I have intentionally avoided any thought of getting with the system. My wallet is still reeling from the pain of the Domino, and I can do all the other woodworking operations that I want with my present workshop setup. If I were starting from scratch, I might feel differently, though.

Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    Bob,

What is wrong with using an MDF template without a copy ring - just the router's baseplate against the template? The template is easy to make; just raise the table-saw blade through the MDF on all four sides of the opening. But then I have intentionally avoided any thought of getting with the system. My wallet is still reeling from the pain of the Domino, and I can do all the other woodworking operations that I want with my present workshop setup.

Rocker
    David,

Actually, nothing. And you are right, not difficult to make. My only point, really, was that one could use the "system" to do this task--but of course there are myriad ways to do it, some no doubt simpler and some, perhaps, more elegant. I am, by nature, not much of a jig maker. If I can think of a way to do something without a template or jig, I will try it. This is, I'm sure, a WW shortcoming on my part and is why I will never be a first-class WWer. My motto is: "Ready, Shoot, Aim."

But your point is well-taken. As was Carry's.

[Late edit: But what supports the base of the router when you are in the middle of the inlay and it is wider than the router's half-base?]
    Last edited by Honorary Bloke; 2nd July 2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Additional question
    Cheers,

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Honorary Bloke View Post
    David,

Actually, nothing. And you are right, not difficult to make. My only point, really, was that one could use the "system" to do this task--but of course there are myriad ways to do it, some no doubt simpler and some, perhaps, more elegant. I am, by nature, not much of a jig maker. If I can think of a way to do something without a template or jig, I will try it.
    I must admit I am similarly inclined-I am attracted to tools that are readily adaptable using their own accessories, like the festool system. Creating complex jigs really doesn't drag me to the tool shed like it does some people. Suppose I also feel guilty about this too!
    Jason

"People find me easy going once they see things my way."