Lightbulb Rare Trades - Book review

Rare Trades
    Author: Mark Thomson
    No. of Pages: 256 pages
    Height & 15.5cm x 23.5cm Soft cover
    ISBN: 0732269040
    Price (Aust RRP): $24.95
    Publication Date: 6 August 2002

This book was sent to me by my daughter last Christmas. She is always meticulous about the presents she buys, carefully choosing just the right gift.

This book is no exception. I’m not a bibliophile but could not put the book down. Author/photographer Mark Thomson delves into the history of rare trades – and the lives of the tradesmen who preserve them – to uncover a wealth of special tools, unique traditions and secrets.

There are items of interest to all who read these pages, great stories about people who love the work they choose to do – working with their hands. Rare Trades pays tribute to the kind of skilled manual work – requiring the artistry of a real master – that nowadays has become so rare. Featuring great photography and stories of tradesmen from the haystack maker to the wheelwright, the cooper, the tinsmith and many more, this book recognizes the type of skills that are fast being lost from our society.

You will read about the world of Colen Clenton who makes the only wood working hand tools with a genuine lifetime guarantee, telling how his tools communicate with him long after they are sold. There is a story that will tickle those of you who have been sent “to get a long weight”, and for those that have experienced “you can’t come here because we don’t have a ladies toilet”

The photos are magical, they are all candid and show the wrinkled lines of knowledge and skill on the contented faces of people who really enjoy their work.

I thought I was a pretty good tradesman until I saw the picture of John Yard with his work. I couldn’t make that! Or maybe this is an inspiration to try. Since reading the book I discovered that John has retired, and you have to get past his loving better half to persuade him to do some work for you.

I didn’t know there were people who still made pennyfarthings, horse collars, Organ pipes, chairs and glass eyes. Those trades I did know, like violin making, French polishing, wood carving, all came to life with insights into the lives of the people who practice those trades with great joy, pride, and a craftsman’s sense of humor.

The book is a “must read” for those with a respect for craftsmanship, a sense of humor or just a fascination for the human spirit.

Reviewed by Grue.
    In Jus Voco Spurius
    http://www.metalbashatorium.com

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Grue

You may be interested in the Rare Trades exhibition that is currently on display at the National Museum of Australia.

Some of it goes back to the middle ages also showing tools that were used.

Not sure how far from Canberra you are, but here is a link with more info if you are interested.

http://www.nma.gov.au/exhibitions_an...on@the_museum2

Hi Simple,

Thanks for the advice. I live in the Blue Mountains and would like to visit the exhibition.

Talked with the author and he has another project going which may interest you
    http://www.ibys.org

Regards.
    Glenn
    In Jus Voco Spurius
    http://www.metalbashatorium.com