Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Ladies, what are you all working on?

Just wondering what all the ladies here are working on at the moment.

I just finished a fretwork black forest clock and am getting tips from the forum on how to glue it together
    Also working on 2 baskets, 1 waiting to be glued, need to cut a handle and rim for the other
    And a small free standing frog puzzle ( 4 piece puzzle ) which I'll try and cut from a few different woods, comparing how different woods cut and finish.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Hi Spring

Sounds very interesting - especially the baskets.

I'm working on a pine shelf/coat rack for my laundry, finishing the benchtop in the laundray, cleaning up the mess ready for the shed party in two days time and looking wistfully at the unfinished walls and electrics in the shed.

cheers
    Wendy

I am just getting into my first piece of proper furniture from scratch - a recycled Blackbutt TV/video cabinet. I put up a WIP thread in the photos forum this week.

I am doing all the heavy/power tool work at evening class and fitting in what I can at home (sanding, filling, marking up, rough cuts) when 3yo is at preschool or asleep at night.

I biscuit-jointed and glued up the carcass panels on Tuesday nite and picked them up yesterday.

This morning I did some filling of nail holes and gum veins on a piece of scrap using marine-grade epoxy tinted black. Hoping it doesn't take too long to set so I can sand/finish the sample before the weekend - if I haven't got the carcass panels filled and sanded I won't be able to build the carcass at evening class on Tuesday nite...

The plywood for the drawers is all cut to height and rebated for the bases but I can't cut front/back/sides to length until the carcass is done.

In between I am dismantling an old oak (?English) desk for various bits and pieces. I usually take some of that along to class in case I have to wait for the teacher or to use the machinery. My next project from that will be some frames for portraits of my daughter taken just before her 1st birthday. They cost a bomb and have been sitting in a filing cabinet for well over 2y ...

Wendy have you built the whole house or just done a laundry reno? I have seen some pics of your shed - if you want the electrics and walls finished maybe you should turn the shed party into a working bee?

Steph

These days just pens.

I'll be glad when we get out of the apartment and I can indulge myself in the 1001 projects I have in mind and get everything out of the closet and use it again!

Clean up here is just too big a job . Without a serious dust collection system and outfitting all the tools for it, it is an ungodly mess. Yes, I tried it a while back and am still cleaning up . The little pen lathe I can keep up with using a home made hood and the shop vac, so I am not completely crippled .

Nice to see that folks here are involved in useful and fun projects! I envy you!

Take care, Vikki.

Me is packing by day and playing at night. But shoot name you hoard gear don't you. Like I lost everything 2 years ago to fire so from then it just pure hoardom. Amazing how quick it re-cumilates so we are having a major chuck. (NO WOOD THOUGH) that not clutter that important part of life . Hubby told me I can do upstairs and he will do my shed. I told him to take a hike. I have nothing The barbecue would be fire up on pen blanks. So that what I am doing. I am so looking forward to moving into our house and having a proper shed set up. Not that it too bad now but in the coast it cooler most of the year around even on there hot days nothign like we got so I can play all year around.
    Anyway that the projects I am not working on. Not fun but got to be done. I am also working on getting 30 pens out for a sale. So taht fun.
    Toni

At the moment I am busy planing seconhand hardwood joists to size to put up in the house we are building. Slow work, and stopping constantly.....hey check out this peice isnt it beautiful...hey no... its for the house....no...you cant have it to play with...yes I know it will make a nice table.....leave it....

Also am working on a model of the house, so I know what to do next.

Am looking forward to moving into it, and out of this shed, so this shed can be the workshop. Cant wait to have a workshop with a cement floor.

Donna

Default Locked out the shed!!!!!

NOT HAPPY
    ....yep I'm locked out the shed for about 4 weeks, Doctors orders, like to tell him where to shove them BUT have too listen....it's terrible....& its only day 2......what am I going to do????????

Yep I am going to go nuts aren't I?????
    Just a little major reconstruction....not allowed to lift! $#$%@#**

But, have two screens cut out ready to glue, really don't think that's lifting......might be able to do that next week, have a set of draws ready to sand back....

and to make it all worse..... had the electricain in last monday and have 6 new power points in there too!
    Haven't even used them yet!
    Hey Dingo, I have a shed with lots of wood, lots of power points, and lots of free space..........and no bugger is going to get in there either....
    LOL....unless it's me!.....How's that thicknesser.....he he he

I AM GOING TO GO NUTS.....SO PLEASE LOTS OF STORIES....
    I need to read heaps about woodwork....
    Have worn the covers of my good books already....
    sob sob sob sob sob sob sob sob sob sob

missing my shed!........... & missing sh...ED! Either way I say it, hurts!
    Don't think you're playing it safe by walking in the middle of the road.....that's the surest way to get hit by traffic coming from both ways!
    I'm passionate about woodwork.......making Sawdust again & loving it!

I'm a little intimidated and envious , while I work on mainly decorative dust catchers, you ladies are mostly working on functional, useful items.
    I guess that's what makes us all unique, it's been great reading about what you're all doing

Kekemo I feel for you being locked out of your shed for so long, that would drive me bonkers too. I'm a bit antsy at the moment with all this rain and cold weather. I can go out into the garage where my scroll saw is, but it is just too damn cold, the garage is unheated. Do you knit, crochet, do needlework,puzzles???? Should I duck after asking that question??

Hallidays Point - the land of blackbutt and swamp mahogany

I've got to finish a linen cupboard that's still a pile of cut sheets on the bench ... I need the bl**dy bench back!

Just finished a rosewood box with slding lid - now starting on a bandsaw box from a block of coachwood.

During the week made a few joinery check gauges (small laminated blocks with sliding pins to check for square) - very neat.

Also putting some more finish on a Vic ash step stool I made earlier in the year.

jas
    "... it is better to succeed in originality than to fail in imitation" (Herman Melville's letters)

Quote Originally Posted by jaspr View Post
    I've got to finish a linen cupboard that's still a pile of cut sheets
    Excuse the pun.......................

Quote Originally Posted by s_m View Post
    Wendy have you built the whole house or just done a laundry reno? I have seen some pics of your shed - if you want the electrics and walls finished maybe you should turn the shed party into a working bee?

Steph
    Hi Steph,

Hubby and I bought a Queenslander house that had been de-queenslanded and now it's a style-less wooden house as it, I can't decide it is should still be considered a queenslander, or a post-war home or what. It's been renovated before, but in bits and pieces. Hubby and I still wonder at why on earth they painted the bathroom ceiling with flat paint, and only put one coat on another couple of ceilings

The Laundry used to be away from the house, but over time, the house got built on to and now the Laundry is attached to the house. The old hot water system decided to turn the L into a swimming pool at the end of Janurary, so that's when I decided not to miss such an opportunity and start renovating, at least one room in the house . It's taken me 5 years of living in the house to figure out some wall colours and how I want to renovate/redesign some of the rooms. It's gonna be a long and slow renovation, but at least I'll have things the way I want them.

As for a working bee - I thought of that too , but decided I'd rather celebrate than work.

cheers
    Wendy

Come on girls, we need pictures.

Al

Kekemo - what the heck did you do Girl????? It doesn't sound very good. Have you had a good look through all of Groggy's Startup Weblinks? Maybe that will give you some interesting reading ??

Fox3 - I so now appreciate not having a shed, or a work area. I have just survived 3-4 months without any serious woodwork as the work area was filled with my gear. HWMNBO was exceedingly glad when the new shed was at lockup stage and I could start work on it. He was very glad to see the cranky woodwork-deprived person disappear (so was I actually )

Toni - and I thought I was addicted to woodwork Good luck with the packing and moving....

Spring - nothing wrong with dustcatchers. Some of us were meant to make dustcatchers and some of us (ok me!) couldn't make a dustcatcher to save myself. It also depends on what you define as a dustcatcher I make nearly anything that comes to mind, as the muse directs me or as the wood talks to me or if I need something in the shed, house or as a gift.

As I can't do any woodwork at night, I tend to swap between a few other handcrafts - cross stitch, ribbon weaving, occaisionally knitting and leather work and plaiting. I also keep an Ideas notebook beside my chair so I can actually keep some notes rather than forget some good ideas.

Cheers
    Wendy

Hey Wendy I do the same at night, crocheting babies clothes, dog blankets and jackets, & cross stitch, clothes and blankets go to charity, cross stitch I usually keep.

As I can't do any woodwork at night
    Huh?

I have just come inside from the garage having done a test panel of casting resin with brickie's black oxide to fill holes and gum veins in my recycled Blackbutt (see pic).

It's damned cold here and super windy (so no frosts) - apparent temps at our closest BOM weather station have hovered between 0-5 all day.

The last two days all my garage sessions I've been wearing thermals under my jeans and woolly socks (and ugg boots if I'm not sanding) plus several warm layers under my dust coat, plus scarf and beanie. Fashionista I am not !

Schedule for the weekend is to sand the test panel and put on a coat of danish oil tomorrow. If this looks ok then I will be filling all the carcass panels on Sunday and sanding on Monday nite and Tuesday morning...

Wendy Our laundry reno done the week my daughter was due (bloody tradies) was prompted by our washing machine turning the laundry into a swimming pool the previous year. We now have a floor waste and have sold the offending appliance to an unsuspecting buyer !

Steph

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast