Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Default Pink Ivory Slimline

After that python wrestle thought I would go back to wood, pink ivory from Supremewood, the slimline from addictive pen kits, it turned beautifully, finished with CA, EEE, shellawax, then CA and Shellawax Glow then CA. Hope you like it, i enjoyed making this one Amos, comments always welcome.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

very nice amos. I would of like to see it more pink. but your job is awesome
    Toni

Yes Toni, I really want it more pink, but so far none of my pink ivories have come out pink! . Amos

Nice fit and shape there Amos.

Does the wood change color before and after sanding. Just wondering if heat from sanding and polishing affects the color like it does with purpleheart
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Amos. shellawax changes the colour yellow. Seal it with CA first. I am just about to upload about mine that I did today
    hth
    Toni

Ok Toni, next time round i will seal with CA first, Dj, you are correct, you have to be very carefull with heat and sunlight with pink ivory, I was carefule re the heat, but maybe Toni has hit the nail on the head re sealing with CA first, Amos

First off Amos, I like the style of the pen, the bottom half has a gradual curve that gives it a smooth flow to the design, it doesn't have a pronounced wasp waist shape. The fit up of the components and the finish are very good. A good execution and well rewarded.

DJ, I have turned Pink Ivory a few times and finished with Shellawax, before Shellawax Glow was on the market and before I had learnt how to do a CA finish. I had it as my everyday pen and found as it aged the Pink Ivory became darker in colour, to a brown. This is something if found by a professional wood scientist.

"In the living tree, as the cells in the outer white sapwood die and change to heartwood, the wood changes color more gradually than in most species. In the case of Pink Ivory, the white changes to light pink, pink, reddish, and a "watermelon red".
    It is well known that exposure to light will cause the red heartwood to change to an orange-brown color, as do nearly all brightly colored woods; however this species also loses color away from light under low moisture conditions in ways that are not typical."

"Recommendation: Do not store this wood for long periods of time before you make your project from it. The surface has been the most consistent color retaining part of the wood in my storage, with color changes often not appearing until the wood was sanded. If possible use wood from as far from the bark as you can. Avoid storing the wood in strong light or sunlight."

Toni, "shellawax changes the colour yellow." ? I am trying to understand how a friction polish turns Pink Ivory yellow, being a shellac based friction polish it penatrates into the timber and should not leave any yellowing effect on any timber and have not had that happen to any timber that I have used Shellawax. December 2005 was when I started to use CA as a finish, before that it had been Shellawax. Looking at how Amos finished his pen it was CA, then EEE and then Shellawax which was last, so it would not have had that problem.
    Darren

Darren, I do not know what I am doing wrong but I found it does yellow most things on me. I am not sure why. LIke most wood it enhances it but with pink ivory and huon pine and only a few others I want to stay true colour so I don't use it until I done about 4 coats of CA, so I look forward to your thoughts on what I could be doing wrong
    Toni

Maybe the heat from the friction polish?

I don't have that problem, (although I have darkened it by oversanding ) but everyone seems to finish differently even when they're using the same products!
    I may be weird, but I'm saving up to become eccentric.

- Andy Mc

Amos,Ilike the shape of your slimline.It is very easy on the eye.
    Well done.

Terry

Default Amos

On this forum we have heard of so many variations of methods and explanations re Pink Ivory and I am convinced the variations of this timber fits the description of most of the others.

By that I can show you ten plus variations in Blackwood,Huon Pine etc etc.

Then your camera,lighting,transfer method can render a whole lot more variation from your actual pen.I am convinced from now on and will stand by this I want you to know the pen you have shown us is a ripper and as for colour it is clean and I appreciate that.

My impression will be vindicated shortly when I turn again I am making pens from acacia,mallee,grass tree,palm,burls of all sorts,lignum vitae from the wooden bearing of a ship,conkaberry,acacia from africa,tree bits from all over,been introduced to Leichardt a yellow tree from Qld and two hundred other trees including sugar palm from Thailand ladle handles,am going to use red,blue,green and other kits.

Reasoning tells me if I was to try to please anyone it must first be me with all the usual reservations.This is the pen I imagined,the same pen finished,the pen I wished i had not had a catch and so on.

Let me say this obsession is enormous and you have demonstrated to me you are a caring sensitive person and very brave in parading any problems, for me I will look and know for myself the reason we share is to be built up.I continually marvel as I turn the beautiful timbers how nature even at its cruelist times causes defects that become masterpieces when revealed
    on the lathe,like ourselves sometimes bashed around by circumstances.

Looking forward to the Sydney Working With Wood Show on Friday this week as well,all the best to all who exhibit and sell there especially our members.
    Peter

Hello to all again, I was particularly careful this time round to not oversand because of heat, thanks for compliments and thanks for correctionsand thanks for encouragements, I appreciate them all , and will try the variations suggested. Amos

Tried this Sierra in Pink Ivory, think it came out right, can't remember now if it had a little help from a pink tube of paint!!!?? Amos

Quote Originally Posted by Woodenink View Post
    Tried this Sierra in Pink Ivory, think it came out right, can't remember now if it had a little help from a pink tube of paint!!!?? Amos
    that is real pink ivory

figured pink ivory is awesome
    All comments are welcome

froggy the french snail and frog eater.

We have all to learn from the ones of the
    others

before being an oak they all were a glans