Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0

Post Restoring teak table.

Posted By JohnAston
    Apprentice

I am restoring a teak table and chairs which have been oiled on a regular basis over the last 20 years with teak finishing oil.
    How can I clean off all the oil and dirt residue ?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

I dont deal with a lot of teak furniture, but I have repaired a few teak table tops in my time And repolished a heap of teak chairs. All I did was sand and recoat with great success. I might suggest you try wiping over with turps or prepsol ( wax & grease remover ) which may help remove those black areas. Otherwise, see what others come up with here.
    Sorry I can't be of any more help.

Cheers...

------------------
    Shane Watson..

Combine Love & Skill & You Can Expect A Masterpiece!

Try a good wash down with warm to hot water and velvet soap using some 000 steel wool. Most teak furniture of that period was sealed with a lacquer so the oil will be sitting on the surface and not in the timber. This being the case, if the wash down fails to improve it try a paint stripper and knock it back to bare timber.

Paint the stripper on pretty thick and cover with glad wrap or similar for about 10 minutes then scrape the surface with a paint scraper and finally wash the surface down with hot water, velvet soap, #1 steel wool and elbow grease. Wear rubber gloves and don't breath the fumes fron the steam whilst washing down. Wipe off excess grunge and water immediately. What's left should sand easily.

Hope this helps.

Cheers- Neil
    KEEP A LID ON THE GARBAGE... Report spam, scams, and inappropriate posts, PMs and Blogs.
    Use the Report icon at the bottom of all Posts, PM's and Blog entries.