Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Setting electric planer blades

I have just obtained a upgrade kit for my old Hitachi plane so I can fit the disposable tungsten knives to it. Does anyone have a instruction manual they could scan and email me that shows how to set these blades? Or can someone explain the best method, I could wing it but Figure it's worth a question?

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsy View Post
    I have just obtained a upgrade kit for my old Hitachi plane so I can fit the disposable tungsten knives to it. Does anyone have a instruction manual they could scan and email me that shows how to set these blades? Or can someone explain the best method, I could wing it but Figure it's worth a question?
    Burnsy, I upgraded my Hitachi 75mm planer so many years ago I can't remember how many. I should have the instructions somewhere, I'll have a look tomorrow (too lazy to get away from the fire right now)

Thanks, that would be great, I have fitted them, what a nightmare, too many thumbs, they are fiddley little blighters. I guess if I adjust up the front of the plane sol the sole is flat and sit a flat edge across it onto the blade that would be the best way of ensuring they are squared off. I just don't know how far to have the blade protruding, if the straight edge is across the entire sole of the plane should the blade be just contacting it? They don't seem very wide and I don't want to bring them out too far in case they come out - ouch

Burnsy,
    I have a method I have used for years on this page.
    http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/planer_blades.html
    Check it out and let me know here if it is any help.
    Cheers
    Bill.

Bill, I have always set the blades to be flush with the outfeed table, am I wrong?

I have an adjustable outfeed, should I lower it a tad?

Al

Burnsy, maybe I misread your question? Are you talking about an electric hand planer or a bench top planer. Some of the answers here relate to bench top planers, I answered on the assumption that you were talking about a Hitachi 75 mm electric hand planer.

Anyway I have found the instructions for the replaceable tungsten blades IVA-82 Universal Adapter System.

Let me know if that is what you are after.

Hi Al,
    You must be an early riser like me.
    In theory you are not wrong, but if you try for a perfect dead in line, it is so hard to get. Also in theory as you blades wear they are too low then. You get a sort of vague feeling that things are not quite right, whereas if you set them higher the cut feels positive all the time.
    I always set my blades a touch higher. That gives you a slight bump at the end of the cut of course. In fact for on site work I have them a fair bit higher, like 1-2mm. But I'm a rough old sod.

What matters is that they are both the same height and each doing the work, not just one of them.

Cheers
    Bill

I usually get out of bed at 5.15, but I have no work ready until next week so I had a sleep in till 6.30 today.

Ill try and lower the out feed table and see how it goes.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    Burnsy, maybe I misread your question? Are you talking about an electric hand planer or a bench top planer. Some of the answers here relate to bench top planers, I answered on the assumption that you were talking about a Hitachi 75 mm electric hand planer.

Anyway I have found the instructions for the replaceable tungsten blades IVA-82 Universal Adapter System.

Let me know if that is what you are after.
    Yes please, I would like to say I need the instructions for a jointer but I am not that lucky

If you could scan and post the plans it would be great, otherwise I will PM you my email address.

Thanks,
    Mike

Big Shed,
    Burnsy put in the line

"Or can someone explain the best method, I could wing it but Figure it's worth a question?"

so I replied with a link that describes a generic method of setting any type of planer blades. The fact that I learned to use this method on large surfacers and refer the the working surfaces as tables is just that I am an old fart.

The actual example I use in my photos is of one of my Makita hand planers. The principal works for any machine, it takes a very small distance say 0.5mm and makes it something that is easy to see by eye.
    Cheers
    Bill.

Quote Originally Posted by Burnsy View Post
    Yes please, I would like to say I need the instructions for a jointer but I am not that lucky

If you could scan and post the plans it would be great, otherwise I will PM you my email address.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Just PM me with your email address, it wll only be a one page scan, and anyway I haven't got you postal address either!

Burnsy, just a note of caution. Make sure you check and then recheck that you have tightend the new blades.

Believe me, it is somewhat disconcerting to have your planer disintergrate into 100 peices of flying shrapnel ....somewhat scary as well.

Billbee, thanks, checked the link and it gives me a pretty good idea how to do it, when I winged it I just used a steel rule and did it that way. Few questions though. You mention adjusting screws, my Hitachi has none, should it have some? It is dad'sold planner and there is afair chance they are missing if it is meant to have some. Also you say blades above the outfeed table, the knives are below the outfeed table and don't really look like they would be hanging on by much if it they were raised to above it. Really don't want to have Bleedin Thumbs experience sowant to be sure on this one.

Thanks guys.

Just found the manual online and to answer my own question it seems it should have screws, no wonder I had such a bugger of a time trying to hold the vlades in place and bolt down the caps. Looks like I had better pull it apart and find some machine screws to fit.

Assuming that you are talking about a portable electric hand plane, if it is anything like my 30 year old Hitachi 82 mm unit, you need a blade high setting jig to set the blade backing plates to the correct position before installing the blades on the the cutter block. The jig and backing plate position sets the blade height.

I'd probably still have the manual somewhere if you'd like a copy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast