Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Needs Pictures Needs Pictures:  0
Picture(s) thanks Picture(s) thanks:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New addition to the shed

As reported in my tablesaw saga, Carbatec have a sale on some of their machines, including jointers, thicknessers and bandsaws.

One that caught my eye was a $350 reduction on the CTJ680 15" Thicknesser.

Having read some test reports, the Grizzley and Delta equivalents seem to come up quite well. So went to Carbatec yesterday and bought one. Will be setting it up today.

They also had the next model up, the CTJ-381, on special at $1395.

The 20" was reduced from $2495 to $1995. Must admit I was tempted, but it is a huge beast and doubt whether I would ever need it. Then again, if we only bought the things we needfor our sheds we'd spend a lot less money.

Also looked at Hafco thicknessers, their 15" models had very nice digital height gauges, but only 2hp motors.

2. # ADS
    Google Adsense Advertisement

Congrats on your new toy Fred

The first thing you can do is remove the plastic deflector that is just under the top cover if you're using it with a dust extractor. It is not required and will make it run a wee bit quieter.

Another one is to replaced the grub screws or screw another set on top of the originals that lock the bed rollers in place with some better quality one or even some unbrakos which I have on mine. The originals will keep coming loose on you no matter how tight you do the buggers up.

I have had mine for about 5 or 6 yrs and they are a good machine
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

G'day BigShed,

When you had a poke at the thicknessers at C/T did the blokes there mention anything about their thicknessers soon being fited with digital height gauges?

Last time I asked about them and said how the digital h/gauge is much better they said they'd had lots of comments about that and were going to have them fitted some time around June. As soon as they come in I'll be retro fitting one, as the ruler on my 381 isout by about 1.35mm and it's not adjustable.

When you're next around here Dj, I'll have to get you to show me this plastic cover to take off, I've had a look at the Chinglish manual and it tells me didly about it.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Thanks DJ, will have a look at that when I finally brave the cold and go in to the shed.

Yes Waldo, I did bring up the subject of digital height gauges with Karl at Carbatec. His opinion was that it was only a gimmick, but he didn't say whether they would be bringing them in with the digital gauges. My feeling is that they will, market pressure and all that.

I don't know whether you are aware, but you can buy them. Wixey in the US make them, the also do a digital blade angle setting gauge and a digital saw fence gauge, as well as a digital calipers that reads in mm, decimal inches and fractional inches (you can pretend to be a Seppo)

Personally I was quite impressed with the Hafco ones, you can easily calibrate off the table or indeed off the timber. If you want to take off say 3mm, just wind your rollers onto the the timber, press the calibrate button and you have zero. Remove your timber, dial up 3mm and hey presto you're done.

Being an incurable gadget man, my better half has already asked "when will you be getting one of those?"

But it is all good fun and stops one from getting bored

Quote Originally Posted by Big Shed View Post
    I don't know whether you are aware, but you can buy them. Wixey in the US make them, the also do a digital blade angle setting gauge and a digital saw fence gauge, as well as a digital calipers that reads in mm, decimal inches and fractional inches (you can pretend to be a Seppo)
    G'day Big Shed,

I had a look at the Hafco gagues and they were $90 when I last looked. Maybe I should have a look at Wixey and see if they're cheaper to import one.

I only creep up when thicknessing by .25mm, don't like the idea of whacking 3mm off and giving the thicknesser a hernia. Takes longer, but that's me.
    I make things, I just take a long time.

www.brandhouse.net.au

Depends where you buy the Wixey. From the Aust agent they are $107.50. Some of the US tool sellers have them, eg Rockler, but can't remember their pricing. There is also a mob in the UK that sell them on Ebay.

$90 doesn't sound too bad though, but if I can get a Wixey for around that price, I think I would prefer that.

I have never taken off 3mm either, only used that as an example, perhaps not a very realistic one!
    Last edited by Big Shed; 27th June 2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Put in prices

Quote Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
    , as the ruler on my 381 isout by about 1.35mm and it's not adjustable.

Can't you take it off and elongate the holes, that's what I did on mine.

When you're next around here Dj, I'll have to get you to show me this plastic cover to take off, I've had a look at the Chinglish manual and it tells me didly about it.

No worries, next time I am in the area I'll drop in, but you'll have to PM you No. and address to me again as I didn't enter it in my phone last time
    Cheers

DJ

ADMIN

Fred, try here
    Pat
    Work is a necessary evil to be avoided. Mark Twain

Thanks Pat, I had seen that, that's where I got the $107.50 from.

Look like interesting gadgets don't they?

Hmmm...saw fence digital read out......

BTW the Fred, what about the JET 15"???

Quote Originally Posted by spartan View Post
    Hmmm...saw fence digital read out......

BTW the Fred, what about the JET 15"???
    Wrong colour mate, wouldn't match my other equipment

BTW I posted a link to that digital saw fence gadget in your saw thread, you must have been too excited and missed it! Looks very interesting, certainly would help with the metric/imperial question, but not only does it do absolute measurements, it also does incremental. Can you detect a certain note of "I'm trying to convince myself here"?

tell you what...you buy one, and let me know who they go....then I will buy one....

I did see it in my saw thread but I think it is different (or at least from a US website)

Warren

Behind that little door under the thicknesser...

Big shed..........don't forget to bin the Chinglish manual that comes with it and download the very readable manual and parts list from the Grizzly site.

We have the similar unit to yours with the manual depth gauge. Must say that its proved accurate enough and I've never been tempted to change it.
    Ours is not to reason why.....only to point and giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat View Post
    Fred, try here
    More gadgets... woohoo

Quote Originally Posted by SilentButDeadly View Post
    Big shed..........don't forget to bin the Chinglish manual that comes with it and download the very readable manual and parts list from the Grizzly site.

We have the similar unit to yours with the manual depth gauge. Must say that its proved accurate enough and I've never been tempted to change it.
    Silent, just had a look at the Grizzly site, can't see that model there, what is the Grizzly model no?

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast